advertisement

Naim cds2 err message after laser replacement...next steps?

My CD3.5 is currently in Salisbury with the Err message. Waiting to hear from Naim whether it is fixable or not. If it is, then great; if not then it’s done good service and I’ll be in the market for a new CDP. :)

As was mentioned justone, and also this guy has genuine drives (at least I got mine from there).

EDIT: puck # does not prove which drive the CDS3 has!!
Well it must prove it because I have a puck #4 provided with models sporting Vam1250 and it won't fit over the spindle top I have in CDS3. Puck#5 (and 3 for Vam 1205) fits in my CDX which has 1205 and in CDS3 so CDS3 must have been already adopted for Vam1202. Correct me if I'm wrong because I didn't open any of the players yet.
Yikes , $200 for a Vam1250 from a German guy?
And since I have a knowledgeable guys attention -VAU-1255/21-LF ?

I see! Puck #5 can replace #4 on the 1250 but not vice versa it seems...?

I bought the replacement drive from Germany for my 1250-CDS3, it works, but if you contact Schnepel and ask about a laser for the 1202 he will tell you. Or if it's too expensive you could try to transplant a laser from a 1254...?

"I see! Puck #5 can replace #4 on the 1250 but not vice versa it seems...?"
Not really probably. When I had CDX2 I replaced 1250 laser with Chinese unit sourced from Liberty Electronics and it worked fine. Player came with 2 x #4 pucks so I just kept one after selling the player. After I acquired CDS3 I thought I will have a spare (those pucks are expensive in US)
I'm not that versed in various accessories and changes in Naim lineup so I was surprised that clamp 4 which appeared to be correct clamp for CDS3 didn't fit. I read then that Naim changed the mech to 1202 after 1250 became unavailable. From that I assumed that my CDS3 has that modification already installed. Also because it came with simple cheap puck #5 . Which also works fine with my old CDX I don't have any player with 1250 now to check if puck 5 can replace puck 4 on VAM1250 but my guess is it can't .
Form my search Vam1254 sits in a Pro 2 mech and will be much more expensive and almost impossible to source.

Pro2 is difficult to source, but I thought 1254 is easy to source - maybe that changed recently...

Just wanted to say a big thank you, just went through the learning process of surface mount soldering and I have a working Cds2 after a year of mustering up the courage to give it a go, after Naim DE couldn't help. All a bit harsh after a couple of years in a box, but already starting to get its mojo back. It is a different beast from the CDX which was the stop gap. Thank you again!
That didn't last long. Same problem restarted, starts playing the disk and then randomly stops and can't read the disk. Maybe the solder joints where not complete or damaged something when removing the chips. Know it is not the laser as have swapped out with CDX and all is fine there. Wondering if I can somehow take the CD controller from CDX and put in CDS2, it is really a much better machine....

advertisement

Back