advertisement

naim cdi

I dont think so, completely different, though not sure if the controller connection is the same and you could do a real butcher job. It would be an impressive project indeed.

Its about time someone did a run on these old mech, given what they could make them for and sell them for. Come on mr Phillips sort it out, im tired of listening to people lose their old favourites.

I should have mentioned, if its just the laser and not the motor you can I believe replace the laser arm using a non pro mech, thats if my failing memory is right and its a cdm9 pro?

Let us know what the issue is exactly.

it has no problems im just thinking that id like to find something suitable someone told me a phillips cd44 mech was very similar and useable,it would be nice not to have the if the mech dies thats it paranoia,apart from that i have absolutely no issues with it,which is rare by my fussy standards.

Get a CDM9/44 and you can use the laser. Your only issue then is the CDM9 Pro spin motor - but this is a pretty sturdy beast and mine survided the indecency of having someone trying to prise the disc platter off.

Grandata did the cheapest 9/44 mechs when I looked last year (£27), but they are not original according to info I could find (not necessarily a problem, although CD-R playback may be an issue). I ended up going for a tested item from Les.

I is also possible to put another complete laser in, but then you need the whole donor player to get the servo board too (to control different spin motor)...and there'll likely be some connector hackery required. As mentioned, not likely to be required given the sturdy spin motor IMO.

Richard

Yes, as long as you are handy at swapping laser assemblies between mechanisms. Paperclip over the ribbon cable to prevent static damage, and a little care and attention is all that's required.

advertisement

Back