advertisement

Naim 82 Remote Volume prob POTS board

ntom

pfm Member
Been going flaky for a while in that the remote volume control no longer works. All other functions are OK & the volume pot sounds OK when adjusting manually.

Finally took the 82 apart (bit of a pain to get to check the pot!!). Putting a meter across the volume pot motor shows that power is getting to the motor when the remote volume button is pressed so I presume the control circuits are Ok & assume it is just the motor on the pot though why this should fail I don't know.

Now doing a few quick searches I have seen that the POTS board has seen several revisions.... Mine is a POTS/4.

Q1. Anyone able to tell me what changes were made in later boards, & is it worth sending to Naim to upgrade (& at what cost ...gulp!)? Not so keen on this as I suspect Naim will not want to know as I have modded my 82 with local voltage regs. It's all reversible but would be a pain to reverse just for this!

Q2. Anyone any idea where I can source a new motorised pot from? A quick google threw up nothing in the existing 20K log value. It is a Blue Alps motorized 20KAX2.

Q3. If this part is not available anyone tried replacing just the motor assembly utilising the motor asembly from a pot of different value?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated....

Neale

Have you tried an ebay.co.uk seller called familygate. They often have motorised Alps pots; I don't know if they have 20K, but worth a look.

If you have to change to a different value, the two nearest are 10K and 50K. Probably safer to go for 50K, although you will get some slight treble loss round -6dB settings.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I recently put one of their 50k motorised pots into my 102. very straightforward, once I'd realised that trying to de-solder the old pot with a single iron was impossible, even with de-solder wick.

Solution was to use a paint-stripper hot air gun which melted all the solder points at once ...having tested for safety on an old PCB first (had visions of everything dropping off the whole amp and the board going up in flames)!

Thanks for the link.

First time I've seen the 20k log pot anywhere....although I note on the front page it is £20.30 + vat + p&p ...which in total is... £46.70!! For some reason as soon as you select 'buy' the price jumps to £43.48 (+vat +p&p). If can't find a cheaper source guess will go with this!!

At nigh on £50 for a new pot, maybe a replacement POTS/8 might not be such bad value!!

Had a search on ebay -found the 'familygate' ads but does not show 20k -awaiting a reply!

Anyone actually know what changes were made with later POTS boards on the 82?

The changes along the way towards the final revision (pots 8) come in two flavours

Physical - the board was changed from a one piece to two separate pieces, one of which has one of those brass and rubber dampers on it, which reduces the amount of vibration and hence improves the sound.

Electrical

Later boards allow for the pots to have fast and slow motion mode, one press of the rc goes slow for fine tuning and a second press goes faster. This is achieved by different control circuitry on the board, but I'm sure gives no sonic benefit.

Naim say that the biggest part of the "upgrade" is to to with replacing the old pot with worn tracks rather than the benefits of the better design.

Pots 8 fitted is £200 ish which allowing for labour doesn't seem too bad, paricularly if the pots are about £50 each anyway.

The smart move might be to see if you can find a friendly dealer who'll discreetly sell you a part.

advertisement

Back