advertisement

naim 82 connection to Supercap and 110 power amp

dektop1

..just checking my interconnects and I've done it different from the manual - although everything works. All link plugs removed and 5pin sinai s as per manual but instead I've connected the 4 pin snaic from the 82 directly to the power amp instead of the Supercap. .Does this matter. Am I getting full potential out off the Supercap.?

No you must not do that unless you have a special signal only snaic 4.

If you do (unless you're very lucky) you'll have most likely either blown a regulator in the Supercap or the one for the preamp in the 110.

Last edited:
No you must not do that unless you have a special signal only snaic 4.

If you do (unless you're very lucky) you'll have most likely either blown a regulator in the Supercap or the one for the preamp in the 110.
...that's bad news. What would a blown regulator sound like ?

Depends which one has gone - if any.

If the one in the SC has gone then the system will be down on at least one channel when you connect it up correctly and may not work at all.

To test the one in the 110 just hook up the system without the SC and with both link plugs in. If it works the reg is OK, if not the reg is dead.

... the system works on both channels but the 110 will not power up a pre-amp. So it's reg is dead. Which I think you mean the reg for it's 24 v pre amp power supply. I reconnected the snaics correctly but preferred the sound when the 110 was connected to the 82 preamp. It sounded really good! Presumably now that the 110's preamp psu is not working it's fine to reconnect it back to the 82, because in effect I'm using an audio-only 4 pin Snaic. Is my thinking right here or have I misunderstood? Thanks for your help.

Congratulations, you have discovered the Avondale cabling system, albeit the slightly expensive way.

It will be fine like that for as long as the preamp supply is broken on the 110.

Probably the least bad outcome since the reg in the 110 is easily replaced and readily available.

Or it may be that his 110 no longer had the preamp supply in place. I upgraded my NAP110 with the Avondale 110PS, which assumes that you no longer need the preamp supply. The only way to know for sure is to open up the 110 and see.

advertisement

Back