advertisement

naim 101 tuner

kriss777

pfm Member
Hi All
I would like to convert my naim 101 tuner to a dual-rail and use it with a hicap, is this an easy thing to do?
If so could someone point me in the right direction.
Thanks Chris

I may have hinted that this was easy in another thread. It's easy when we do it because we know them inside out.

You'll need to extract it from the chassis first. Desolder the output socket and antenna feed, remove the knob and front circlip and push the 6mm shaft inside the tuner. You can then undo 5x m3 nuts that hold the whole PCB in. The single rail (red wire) goes two ways after getting onto the pcb via the pin it's soldered to. As luck would have it the output stage is one side and the rest of the tuner on the other, so just make a cut with a dremel and separate the output stage feed from that pin and add a wire to it. This is your second rail - now wire it up to a 5 pin DIN socket. A hicap rear panel has the correct pin assignments for the socket printed on it.

The 101 was factory set with its tuning range valid for a 24.55v rail as measured at the power supply. This allows for a small drop in the sockets and cable that gives 24.5v at the tuner. You won't find any adjustment in the hicap or older SNAPS so you have to cut out the 820R resistors on the regulator board and solder a 1k pot in instead. This allows you to fine tune the output voltage.

Many thanks for your detailed reply, although I feel I could do this work, I feel it may affect it's resale value, perhaps best to leave well alone and check to see whether we have 24.55v at the power supply.

advertisement

Back