advertisement

mysqueezebox.com will close in February

Yep...just did a clean install on a test PC with KDE Fedora 39 and the latest 8.4.1 nightly stable release and Qobuz (which wasnt an issue anyways) and Tidal via the new plugin are running.

Didnt test Tidal for stability just that I could browse and play part of a track. Will test stability tomorrow.

Had a bit of panic as the right side screen on Transporter was blank... but after looking around it appears many of the default settings I am used to (from my current V7.9) are set to none which isnt the case when doing a clean install of V7.9.

Some flakey behaviour with playlists when browsing via the Transporter remote as well but it isnt prod so can work around that and will wait until the next prod version is released.

Also found issues when using my normal Opera web browser (drop downs not working and the like) but that was resolved when using Vivaldi.

Hopefully Deezer gets wise, opens up and allows plugin level access.

Peter

My first post. Joined this community largely because I plan to sell some old unused equipemnt, but I see I have to make a lot of posts before I can do that, which is fair enough.

Anyway I want to say that I think the great thing about Squeezebox, the reason I got a Classic more than fifteen years ago, is the open source feature. With Logitech Media Server being free, and the active community, we can be sure the ecosystem (possibly PiCorePlaer on a Raspberry Pi) will continue where other systems may suffer greatly from changes in provisions, closures of aggregates, and the like. The internet streaming on Cocktail Audio (Novafidelity) system seems not be working any more.

Yep...just did a clean install on a test PC with KDE Fedora 39 and the latest 8.4.1 nightly stable release and Qobuz (which wasnt an issue anyways) and Tidal via the new plugin are running.
Hopefully Deezer gets wise, opens up and allows plugin level access.
It looks like there is now a functioning prototype Deezer plugin. However, it has not been integrated into LMS plugin management yet, so for now it has to be installed from source.

I think the final MySqueezebox.com availability date has been clarified as 19th March (here). I have little doubt that the Deezer plugin will have been improved and be more convenient to install by then.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

It looks like there is now a functioning prototype Deezer plugin. However, it has not been integrated into LMS plugin management yet, so for now it has to be installed from source.

I think the final MySqueezebox.com availability date has been clarified as 19th March (here). I have little doubt that the Deezer plugin will have been improved and be more convenient to install by then.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

thanks for the update!!!!

agree... the deezer install image will eventually be a plugin

I'm just toying with my SBT - having got around the radio streaming issue that mysqueezebox supported, by installing the BBC Sounds and RadioNet plugins - and pointing the SBT to LMS on my computer - it's all functioning as it should do as long as I leave my NUC switched on at all times (which I tend to do anyway).

LMS is now running version 8.5 on the NUC.

Has everyone else here still wrapped up in the squeezebox ecosystem now sorted themselves out fully, or have you all migrated to the WiiM?

I updated everything to the latest versions last night. And all is running smoothly.

Pi CM4 module on then motherboard with a 2TB NVMe drive for local storage as my LMS (doubles up as my house data store with a 2TB USB disk)

Pi3B with Orchard ApplePi DAC dac

Pi3B with Allo Boss and 7” Pi screen

Pi3B will Allo Digione into a musical Fidelity XDac.

Pi3B with Orchard Audio PecanPi DAC (which has died and needs looking at).

All work nicely using material skin and Tidal works fine with the new plugin. I briefly looked at the Wiim but no hardware controls means I would find them a significant retrograde. I like at least skip and pause buttons, some basic transport controls, which is fairly easy to implement with the Pi’s. My living room setup is headless with all control through a phone and material skin, I’m not a fan of the smartphone interface. The eversolo was briefly considered but £££s if I needed to replace 3 setups.

I have an SB3 in the garage. I used it only to listen to internet radio via mysqueezebox.

I don't want to run a server. Is it now useless, or is there another way to listen to internet radio on it?

I have an SB3 in the garage. I used it only to listen to internet radio via mysqueezebox.

I don't want to run a server. Is it now useless, or is there another way to listen to internet radio on it?
Without some type of server (which is what mysqueezebox was), it's essentially useless.

CBA with Pi running LMS. Never managed to get LMS to work on the Pi + DAC HAT in my main system.

Looks like a Wiim mini is the most cost effective solution.

CBA with Pi running LMS. Never managed to get LMS to work on the Pi + DAC HAT in my main system.

Looks like a Wiim mini is the most cost effective solution.
Be happy to help you get a pi and LMS running if you wanted. Would also be interested in the SB3 if you are selling and it has a remote (have an SB2 here missing a remote).

Be happy to help you get a pi and LMS running if you wanted. Would also be interested in the SB3 if you are selling and it has a remote (have an SB2 here missing a remote).

That’s a kind offer, but I think I will probably just get a Pi + DAC HAT running Moode.

The SB 3 is slightly tatty, the (black) alu front has a small ding and the remote has a plastic tag missing on the battery cover. No idea how much it’s worth - how does £25 sound? £5 to cover postage and I’ll donate the other £20 to PFM.

That’s a kind offer, but I think I will probably just get a Pi + DAC HAT running Moode.

The SB 3 is slightly tatty, the (black) alu front has a small ding and the remote has a plastic tag missing on the battery cover. No idea how much it’s worth - how does £25 sound? £5 to cover postage and I’ll donate the other £20 to PFM.
That works for me. Will probably end up in the garage with a little class-d amp off the back.

Re LMS in a Raspberry Pi:
It's one of those things that's easy if you know how, but not if you don't. ;)
Yes, it does need some learning and yes I now find it's remarkably easy.

When I learned the LMS system, as usual for something new, it was initially frustrating. But that did not last long, because the packaging of LMS within piCorePlayer is IMHO very logical, very well done and the documentation is very good (once you find it and learn the new terms). Going through the learning curve was highly worthwhile for me, to become familiar with how streaming systems work. I think that's a useful skill in a world where there is a lot of digital audio.

Learning how to install and use LMS is clearly not something that suits everyone. Some members on the Slim Devices forums have not been happy to keep their Squeezeboxes working by running LMS somewhere on their network (or even on an Android device). Fair enough. Some members have had difficulty installing LMS and the new plugins. But I do observe that many took the plunge and seemingly surprised themselves with success.

To be fair, the software needed to handle MySB closedown was updated and/or developed so remarkably quickly it's inevitable that learning new skills in time will not be simple for everyone. The new and updated software won't be properly polished yet and it may still contain bugs that unexpectedly bite some installations.

I think there is a degree of stability now with piCorePlayer 9.0.0 and LMS 8.5.1 (now Lyrion Music Server). Nevertheless, disentangling the software completely from all connections with Logitech is still ongoing.

I remain very happy with the LMS system. There's no digital audio FOMO here. IMHO the LMS system punches way above its weight, stands comparison with the high-end products I have auditioned, and can partner very happily with much more expensive kit. I think I observe a few other users here who seem to agree.

Re LMS in a Raspberry Pi:

Yes, it does need some learning and yes I now find it's remarkably easy.

I remain very happy with the LMS system. There's no digital audio FOMO here. IMHO the LMS system punches way above its weight, stands comparison with the high-end products I have auditioned, and can partner very happily with much more expensive kit. I think I observe a few other users here who seem to agree.
Ironically my LMS server Pi running under max2play has just stopped working and refuses to run LMS (I've tried uninstalling LMS and reinstalling). I can;t yet work out whether this is a problem with the max2play distro which has not been updated for over a year. I guess it's time for me to update the whole thing to run under picoreplayer or regular raspbian.

It might be worth pointing out for those who are interested in such things that IIRC Picoreplayer is a really truly dedicated audio operating system designed to minimise the overhead and get rid of any unnecessary processes. If that sort of thing really did make a difference to the "sound" then this would be the thing to use. A lot of smart and dedicated people were involved (some of whom were interested in sound optimisation) in designing (and maintaining) it and I doubt that any of the shedware manufacturers have anything like the resources available and am pretty sure that none of the commercial manufacturers could be bothered to match it (it makes no commercial sense).

Ah a trip to the Max2play forum and a bit of google translate suggests manually updating perl and reinstalling in command line

I'd say this was a strong argument for using picoreplayer instead. Or proper raspbian

advertisement

Back