advertisement

My system is too good, help! :)

Rocky, at your time of life (and mine too !), I'm really surprised your record player isn't played as much as other sources. I always have and always will, unless and until I go fully Mutt & Jeff,enjoy all three of mine (plus TV, of course).

Apart from one or two items; cartridges mainly, well purchased kit is an investment, both in little or no depreciation and splendidly continuous entertainment value. Even approaching octogenarian status, I fully intend to upgrade my cans and change one of my 12" arms for one with heavier mass, and then look for a stone-bodied Koetsu (or try Miyajima) to replace the Urushi which has been lying in my drawer for far too long.

Lots of other pleasures cost more, depreciate more or are here today and gone with only memory tomorrow. Carpe diem as they said in Rome. :)

Seriously, if you fire up your system with the appropriate relaxant to hand and it doesn't immediately elicit a big 'ahhhhh!', then summat in the system is amiss.

I subscribe to Spotify premium, but the quality is def. sub good CD replay. I hear that the other services are betterer so should give them a (Q) buzz I guess and yes, that and CD are the way I hear most music.
I used to me mr 'up to date' but am a fussy old git now and find new populare music ok for one listen but rarely more. However, discovering new world music, Jazz, heritage blues and classical has been amazing. In that sense anyway I def agree that streaming RULES. It would have taken me a lifetime of record fayres (sic) to collect a quarter as much.

I subscribe to Spotify premium, but the quality is def. sub good CD replay.

I’ve tried Spotify and Amazon, but settled on Qobuz which sounded much better to my ears.... try a free month and see what you think?

I also like it’s integration with Roon.

Last edited:
Rocky, at your time of life (and mine too !), I'm really surprised your record player isn't played as much as other sources. I always have and always will, unless and until I go fully Mutt & Jeff,enjoy all three of mine (plus TV, of course).

Apart from one or two items; cartridges mainly, well purchased kit is an investment, both in little or no depreciation and splendidly continuous entertainment value. Even approaching octogenarian status, I fully intend to upgrade my cans and change one of my 12" arms for one with heavier mass, and then look for a stone-bodied Koetsu (or try Miyajima) to replace the Urushi which has been lying in my drawer for far too long.

Lots of other pleasures cost more, depreciate more or are here today and gone with only memory tomorrow. Carpe diem as they said in Rome. :)

Seriously, if you fire up your system with the appropriate relaxant to hand and it doesn't immediately elicit a big 'ahhhhh!', then summat in the system is amiss.

And that! Relaxent helps but the room is hard, despite large thick floor rugs and on and on...I think I need to get orf my ass and muck about a bit. Rainy days and sundays?

Rockmeister,

I decided a year or two ago that I was done with hifi for many reasons so spent that time ripping my CDs using the AIFF file format to get the best out of a system that's less "hifi" and stored on an external RAID hard drive connected to one of my Macs and just listened using a pair of Apple Air Pods. Sure, I was missing details and the scale of my big rig but all of the really important things were still intact. After a bit of research for a minimal setup considering Devialet's Phantom, Naim's Muso, Apple's Home Pod, Sonos, B&W, etc, I threw a dart and ended up with a Muso which does everything I need from streaming radio stations all over the world, listening to my ripped CDs from any computer in the house or routing TV sound from a large screen that sits above it via Toslink.

Everybody in the house can use the Muso without my assistance (or worrying about a family member or friend breaking an expensive component or spending money recapping or repairing one of ten boxes that could potentially break.) Best of all it puts a smile on my face when listening to my music.

Anyway, this post wasn't intended to be a plug for the Muso rather just a word from someone who knows where your head is at with big hifi systems and maybe some helpful info for consideration.

best,

Dave

P.S. If someone offered me my favorite hifi back now for free, I'd politely decline the offer. It would be wasted on me at this point ;-)

No need for stack of boxes and speakers the size of washing machines to get really high quality sound.

Agreed...the sound quality of some of these new all-in-one boxes for example is amazing if they're feed with uncompressed files or even a decent quality FM station. I was shocked to say the least when I switched off audiophile mode and just listened to a favorite tune.

I've simplified things the past year but only going back to an integrated from pre/power. I've certainly taken out a lot of cost and feel happier with the way things are now. Both main system and study are vinyl only so already straight forward. Definitely no analytical sound getting in the way these days.

Funny how our desires change over time. I sometimes wonder what I'll be listening to in 20 years, if I'm still here. I tend to listen to LPs quite a lot before feeling I'm done so don't get through that many albums despite listening 3-4 hours a day. Picked up about 15 LPs today which will keep me going several weeks or more.

Good luck Rockmeister - hope you find what you're looking for.

Overall, that is a fairly simple system compared to many. I think the downsizing/right sizing thing can work....for a little while, then the bug usually begins again at some point. I would really think long and hard, especially if you really like what the current system is doing for you, why change it. Unless of course you need or want the money instead, or in all reality, you just fancy a change. FWIW
Exactly this! Don't do it Rockmeister, don't do it!

I have to admit my record deck is largely an ornament these day as CDs are just so cheap and plentiful that is what I’m buying/the music I’m exploring. All of my life I’ve been hunting new music, so I’m not the type of audiophile who constantly plays long established favourites, hence the deck not getting a huge amount of use as its library is really my past. Nothing wrong with it as a source though, I always enjoy it when I do spin it up for a listen. I can imagine those who have transitioned to streaming feeling the same way about CD, though I am far too obsessive about mastering to go that route.
Similarly here. In my case mainly because I have very poor eyesight now and also arthritis in my hands that makes handling a unipivot arm with a naked boron cantilever stylus a big risk! However when I do play a record I am still amazed by the je ne sais quoi. There is a certain what shall I say? presence.

Cheers,

DV

What is it CK?

Pictures speak a 1000 words :)

Full details:
Amp: Audionet DNA 2.0
Speakers: 432 Point5 (my own design)
Stands: solidsteel SS-5
roon server: QNAP TS-251+8GB RAM & 2x1TB Sandisk ultra II SSDs
Server LPSU: Teddy Prado Dual 12v
Speaker cables: Mogami 3104 (star-quad)
Mains cable: HO7RN-F 2.5mm with Permaplug & Schurter IEC
USB cable: Lindy CROMO USB-2.0 A-mini-B
Network cables: Lindy CROMO CAT6

Similarly here. In my case mainly because I have very poor eyesight now and also arthritis in my hands that makes handling a unipivot arm with a naked boron cantilever stylus a big risk! However when I do play a record I am still amazed by the je ne sais quoi. There is a certain what shall I say? presence.

Cheers,

DV
Yes, there’s a vdH model I’m thinking of.

https://vaf.com.au/products/van-den-hul-sped-modification

You’d only have to look the wrong way at it.

I’ve tried Spotify and Amazon, but settled on Qobuz which sounded much better to my ears.... try a free month and see what you think?

I also like it’s integration with Roon.
I would but it means an investment in new bits...the spotify streams to my amp by a simple little WiFi box called a Gramofon box. That's it...no screen, no knobs, no fancy cables, no on off switch. Just plug it in and connect to the amp, it finds your WiFi and connects to Spotify and your computer opens Spot which finds the Gramofon, After that, you jusr select 'listening on HiFi' and bingo.

advertisement

Back