advertisement

My passive AE1 adventure

mandryka

pfm Member
This little adventure started with a comment made more than 3 years ago

There is no such thing as too many mini-monitors, right?

And then this discussion about LS3/5As from about three months ago

God I'm wondering if these would be good for my bedroom set-up. Currently got a pair of Acoustic energy AE1 classics on very early (and heavy) AE1 stands (before the fluted version) fed mainly tidal from a naim SuperUniti.
Would the sound Quality go up, down or sideways in your opinion. I mainly play Jazz to prog, indie, rock and even a bit of classical so a wide range.
Aaaargh 🤪
PS Very different to AE1s, plus fit with an entirely different system. AE1s really need a lot of solid state power to do their thing (e.g. a Krell!) IME, LS3/5As can work nicely with a ten Watt valve amp. I like both in their own way, but I’d be hard pushed to think of two more different small speakers.

Also, at the back of my mind, there's the thought that I appreciate a modern speaker sound more than the sound of JR149 Mk1s and LS3/5As. I certainly enjoy my JR149 Mk2s more at the moment.

They arrived today, they work, and they have been hooked up to a Conrad Johnson CJ 80. I may try Tony's suggestion of a Krell later. They seem to be more sensitive than the JR149 Mk1s they were replaced with - or at least, louder, more sound pressure. And a totally different timbre. Granados's Goyescas playing right now - solo piano -- it sounds great! They are very lively -- fast. But all new speakers sound great at first to me, so time will tell.

20240227-130548.jpg

One immediate question. There are two annoying chips in the paint of one of them. What's the best way to deal with it -- a sharpie?

20240227-131105.jpg

Oh -- anyone got a nice original AE1 stand they want to sell me?

I have also never seen AE1s on open stands but who knows maybe it works?
I have AE stands under mine and have used Atacama SE24's filled with sand in the past which seemed to work pretty well (a second hand pair for £40). I absolutely love my AE1's

I'm certainly up for the idea of buying the original stands if anyone has them for sale. I don't have a pair of heavy stands unfortunately. I also think they're probably a bit low the way I have them.

Tremendous clarity, energy and sound pressure from these speakers. I have to remember to keep the volume down, or it's a bit too much to handle! I am listening about 2m away.

Image is seamless as far as I can hear - at least as good as JR149 Mk1s. I've got no toe in, about 12" in front of wall, more because there's an alcove.

if u use a sharpie i usually,wipe it with my finger as if u dont u can notice the difference slightly..
by wiping it off generally it stays on the bits that at need it.
And u have a black finger for a bit..:)
nice little set up.

Just an anecdote. I got interested in hifi because I used to go to concerts and get frustrated because my system at home didn't sound anything like the live experience. These AE1s are the closest I've managed to get to the thrill of the live - they are so unbelievably vivid and there's such a sense of space and coherent image. Of course the bass isn't there, and I'm only listening to small scale (classical) music. Maybe they are bright - but maybe they are right! Maybe a soprano live really is bright! Even the ESL 63 sounds less exciting and more coloured, sweetened - in much the same setup (just a bigger Conrad Johnson and a different DAC.)

The result is astonishing, though possibly a bit fatiguing - hard to say. It's early days of course.

We had an evening with the new mk3 vs mk1. The originals much livelier and realistic, all good till we put AE2’s on. Everything the mk1’s do and more besides 👍

We had an evening with the new mk3 vs mk1. The originals much livelier and realistic, all good till we put AE2’s on. Everything the mk1’s do and more besides 👍
I’ve always wanted to hear the AE2s - my studio friends said it wasn’t as good as AE1s for work, something to do with timing I think, but still…. I’ve got 2 pairs of AE1s, an old pair and a classic pair they reintroduced 10 years (?) or so ago. Sadly with blown drivers from studio work :( But the AE1 mk2 signatures I have at home are just magical, they manage to give everything a ‘ live ‘ coherence that is completely convincing. I’ve got them with the original stands - weigh a ton

I re foamed a pair of signatures for someone around 15 years ago.. Ae1’s are a surprisingly good speaker!

I ran them for around 2 weeks after the repair while the chap was on holiday, I didn’t want to give him them back!

Just raised them to about 57 cm with the complete works of Aristotle. What a difference! Contrary to all my expectations I should say. I need proper stands for these speakers fast. Help! Sell me some!

IMG-0381.jpg

Last edited:
Giss a Listen !! Judging by your walk along Wigmore Street you referred to the other day you may live fairly near me !
Anyway glad it's going well !. They look super cute !

I don’t think you can go far wrong with some decent Target stands:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back