advertisement

My new car (Warning: Porsche content)

My wife is keen on convertibles so I'm expecting there could be some pressure to consider a Boxster instead of a Cayman.

That's why we got the 996, as soon as she admitted to liking a soft top the birthday (important one) present was sorted!

It's done 100k miles now, time flies.

So this is a fast mini. Incredible sound...
Love it! I've seen/heard engines with Arden 8-port heads run before, but not with FI. That's proper rude.

Also an object lesson in how the bottom <20% of the throttle opening is where most, er, less exuberant driving really happens. Looks to have a bit of a fuel stand-off issue at significant throttle though.

(it'll not last long if without an air filter either. BT, DT... cheapo 1275 swap, and not using such a rare lump up top.)

My wife is keen on convertibles so I'm expecting there could be some pressure to consider a Boxster instead of a Cayman.

... do compare the Boxster with a 911 Cab. The 911 will be older, but I think it both works & looks much better as a convertible (although I find the Cayman is better-looking than a 911 coupe : the proportions are spot on).

hi,lovly car,i love v8,but I followed audi v10 down m8 with half my head hanging out window,have a Scooby which is a poor mans choice,great stuff,charlie,ps up there in looks with gt3.

to the OP:

are you aware of the rule here about luxury item posts?

if another member can't afford what you're showing off but really wants it, it is your obligation do help him purchase the item in question with a contribution of up to 50% of price. for members with whom you have a close relationship, it is customary to offer the product as a gift. that's how we used to roll in the shaving threads.

Reactions: jay
Well, we treated ourselves to another V8 today. But this time a not so new car, rather something that is 20 years old...

Ooh, and it is convertible.

SL500 or XK8?

Good call, very good call.

An XK8.

It will need some money spent on it, but it drives well, very well indeed.

To cut a long story short, Mrs C isn't too taken by today's cars, unless that is we had a > £100k budget for this, which very sadly we don't. Looking at the options we had to go back in time. The shape is important, just as much as the driving experience. We were not, in this instance, after a rip, snorting sports car, rather a gt car where one can really just enjoy the experience. I have always had a soft spot for Jaguars and when it was suggested the first incarnation of the XK8 hits the spot in terms of design, well, common sense had to drop out of the window.

Lots of research, a few dogs later, a deal got done today. We will collect this time next week.

There are only 2 good V8 cabs IMHO. I fancy an XK at some point but a Coupe - would be good to know how you get on.

A lovely car to be in is the XK8. Find a nice one and your money is safe too. Whisper quiet with effortless power.

A friend of mine has a W reg XK8 coupe in black he took off the road a few years ago and it has just stood there since. A bargain for someone with the price he was talking before Christmas.

I had the first Cayman S when it came out many moons ago. Really terrific car that could run with most in the twisties and was a nice comfy, well made change from my S2 Exige. Chopped her in for a Nissan GTR which, while much faster, isn't necessarily any more fun.

Good choice on your Cayman. Fastest colour too.

I'm picking up an 06 BMW 520D SE Auto tomorrow.

No sports car, but I still can't wait :)

SLDP72El.jpg

TR8GJmkl.jpg

There are only 2 good V8 cabs IMHO. I fancy an XK at some point but a Coupe - would be good to know how you get on.

I'll let you know.

Btw, I make it 3 good V8 cabs, the XK and the SL500 as you have mentioned, but you also need to throw into the mix the B6.

Hey-that looks fun. I have a friend who fitted a supercharger to an early Mk2(?) which really brought the thing to life. Always thought the MX was a decent car simply crying out for more poke.
Hope you have a ball with her :)

If only they could fit a sweet little six cylinder engine in there...

But yes, that looks like a fun MX. What is required for the higher power?

advertisement

Back