advertisement

My almost diy project

I agree :) outstanding design. I have too say that I prefer heavier arms, but just a question of personal taste :) Congrats !

Thanks guys. I like these sorts of projects. and many design ideas have been spur of the moment and not thought through. I am quite slow these days to complete jobs and I just have a rewire to do to the arm as I shredded the cable going through the pillar bandits causing earth problems but I hope by next week its a wrap. Its back on the glass coffee table where it sounds better. I am not sure if I will actually use it, but it certainly sounds good when I take it out for a spin.

It doesn't feel right not at least having one artefact I built from all those years of bodging.

Clearaudio have a magnetic bearing tonearm, had one on my concept TT and was quite good.

Also think they use maglev for the platter on their higher end tables.

P1080462.JPG

What stops the magnets from just repelling the arm out sideways away from the magnetic gap?

They use string on the bottom, the upper magnets attract. It's an upside down version of thingy whatsits arm.

That arm is stunning, almost want to have a go my self, but being from the old clunk and bang school of engineering its a bit too accurate of a job for me.

Last night I completed the tone arm rewire and nuded the dl103 and fitted it and did all the weight and balance things with the protractor....

Forgot to attach top plate earth to tone arm centre pin earth but that was a 5 minute job as I had the binding post already...

Very happy, it has a really punchy sound since going the carbon fibre armwand route, the differences between thin platter and thick are quite obvious and the extra pulley gives it a real directness to the sound. Builder bias I suppose but I am very satisfied. It's really smooth and easygoing. Very good on everything I play and I am not too interested in going the maglev route just yet, this is I think where I get off the fiddling route and am settled.

It's a wrap. The angle is now right the VTA is superbly on smack without the pillar stretched and I tweaked overhang a little, the finger lift is slightly not at 90deg with the line of the headshell, but that's ok... The headshell sides are more than ok for getting angle right. One seriously altered Hadcock!

11709961_1420290954967897_6411842335749526686_o.jpg

11539241_1420295608300765_8873649463108866930_o.jpg

11722089_1420290958301230_4017472786733880030_o.jpg

That really is VERY special Clive, shame you aren't interested in designing stuff for a living. If I do Scalford next year we really must find a way of getting you there.

Stefan

I think I faced and worked out/through a lot of issues on this build, there is a lot more wrapped up in it than just a DIY record player but a process of coming to terms with loss and reconstruction from salvaged parts, new ideas, old ideas, like composing and painting, knowing when to stop is a critical part of that process and now it is time to stop and just enjoy it.

Apropos of knowing where to stop. About the same time I also hung two new works. These were a couple I decided to keep.

11722335_1419243581739301_1489598326556426371_o.jpg

Diptych Diffuser and Door.

Ps I noticed that after closing down my Flickr account to move to a new photo host (Flickr finally pissed me off soooo bad I just closed up shop) all my image links will need re-doing

Ps I noticed that after closing down my Flickr account to move to a new photo host (Flickr finally pissed me off soooo bad I just closed up shop) all my image links will need re-doing

Yes, let's not loose all those great images you've posted over the years

advertisement

Back