advertisement

My almost diy project

Fox

The sound of one hoof clopping
Before the fire I had built a music controller, sadly the controller which was microcontroller based was toasted by water and stuff and muck fell into it so it was deemed a write off, but I kept the rather fetching wood case as it was zebrano and I had a feeling it might come in useful.

Well it did...

As I only have two records I thought I would do something daft and stupid simply "because I can."

So I built a record deck, mostly from old secondhand parts on ebay, aftermarket rega upgrades, bits people do not want and the like. There is a thriving market for turntable add ons for the LP12 and the rega family of decks so I did some measurements are discovered the geometry would just about fit a 12" (305mm pivot to spindle) tonearm.

I drew up a cad design for the top plate and ordered the various parts and when I was ready I double checked everything and sent off the top plate to me machined in 10mm aluminium anodised plate.

It breaks a few cardinal rules of Regas and LP12s and I have still more to do, it also loses all audiophile cred as it has a USB port on it for a purely digital connection for direct ripping, should I want to do so...

Here are some pix...

Peek bearing too, woo...

suja2ura.jpg

6u4ase8a.jpg

yby9ahyg.jpg

zy9e3uga.jpg

y2e9eqy6.jpg

yduty9aj.jpg

pa2u8yra.jpg

ady2e3eg.jpg

ydynu6u6.jpg

ugu6uqe4.jpg

ume5evar.jpg

e2e4e2y8.jpg

8ububuqu.jpg

ave4uvuz.jpg

6ynaza8u.jpg

More later, I will add graphs as well...

Oh yeah, PSU is a Hercules feeding a premotec motor with ball bearing endcap add on

9yma9u6u.jpg

Motor is rebated for lining up with flush mounted peek bearing, (usually bearing sits 2mm proud of top plate so needed to get clever)...

hopefully what ranson-esque graphs and covert needle drops will reveal

Thank you, I thought for a while I had lost my mojo, but I realise I like building things and it saddened me to see that slab of solid zebrano go to waste".I will wire it electrically tomorrow and see how its goes then start the long process of getting the dl103 fitted.

A wallshelf ought to be along soon and I can try out the devialet phono stages...

6uvanura.jpg

In an age where turntables are getting more oil rig or curvy, it feels nice to use bevels as a theme, looks a little like The old PT TOO

Please ensure there is adequate electrical insulation between the Hercules and the top plate. The Herc similar to the Valhalla has some pretty shocking surprises for the unwary. Have you considered the outboard version Mose/Hercules which would only have the low voltage interface unit installed on your top plate?

Yes, good point, Safety is important, I did not buy the MOSE because I could not find one at a reasonable price.

Already tested the Herc for continuity and its clean, the standoffs are 10mm and additionally have nylon on washers between the pcb and the standoffs each standoff has an additional nylon sleeve that sits maybe 2-3mm proud so the herc is screwed to the plate but not in contact with it, its hard to describe. The back has a fused switch plate and each metal plate baseboard back and top will be earthed as they are isolated from each other by the wood frame.

The valhalla/ herc is potentially lethal, yes.

I have a gorgeous HPGL engraving file I made that even with vector simplification tools in Adobe Illustrator before committing the eps to Cenon for conversion still added €150 to the machining costs. Am exploring water gel slide decals on the rear power plate like you find with stomp boxes as it is looking rather pony-free at the moment...

Rainbow Dash sticker just about visible under the acrylic platter, but it is outwardly very vanilla, I agree.

I have no idea what I will do when it is built and tested, play my two (no, three! Someone gave me Japan's excellent Assemblage) records I suppose.

yby5u9yg.jpg

I ought to get the second arm bought and bolted on, considering mono for mono jazz LPs I do not own and have no intention of buying. (Do you believe any of that?)

Herc/Valhalla designed for the LP12 where they are mounted via plastic standoffs on the cross brace which is fitted to the plinth. Thus electrically isolated from any metal parts especially the top plate. This PSU carries mains level voltages so you will want to be careful. In the Linn design the only way you could touch the PSU was if you came from underneath (setting the bounce). Yours has the PSU mated to the metal top plate. Even if you have standoffs risk is still high due mains voltages! Suggest either off board mounting or you fashion a wooden cross brace within the plinth for PSU mounting.

Glue a piece of rubber mat to the underside of the top plate to insulate the valhalla from the metal.

Is that the tangospinner platter? Fitted one to my RP6 and they are fantastic, should be a very nice sounding table.

It is. Gus is such a lovely chap as well. The later mods will be to use a damping material like dynamat as used inside my speakers and so on. I hope it sounds good. It's a Rega deck at heart.

Herc/Valhalla designed for the LP12 where they are mounted via plastic standoffs on the cross brace which is fitted to the plinth. Thus electrically isolated from any metal parts especially the top plate. This PSU carries mains level voltages so you will want to be careful. In the Linn design the only way you could touch the PSU was if you came from underneath (setting the bounce). Yours has the PSU mated to the metal top plate. Even if you have standoffs risk is still high due mains voltages! Suggest either off board mounting or you fashion a wooden cross brace within the plinth for PSU mounting.

It's not it uses nylon

Here we go plugged in and tested continuity checked and earth points at base top and backplate.

We appear to have a working cake spinner

14566030505_88a7fd8276_b.jpg

It may be a record player if I can bolt that DL103 onto the arm and set up the devialet phono stage and perhaps get the thing on a wall. Maybe this weekend... Possibly.

(The Pony is Octavia BTW)

I am considering tucking the neutrik USB socket behind the panel so all on show is a circle with a USB socket, like I did with the ClopTronic... The panel is good for covering the multiple sockets it had as a OSC/MIDI/USB controller.

Quite Pleased so far and I ought to tap Mr ransom Sir on his method of measuring stability and so on... see how well it measures...

advertisement

Back