advertisement

Musical instuments

Pro-Ones are fun, I had one for a long while. The modulation options are way better than they first appear, you can get that thing to scream! It can certainly do the techno 'hoover' thing!

Let's see a pic of the re-casing! I remember it being quite a flimsy synth with a very plasticy/bendy top and all the knobs just mounted directly to the circuit board. I can't imagine many will have survived entirely intact. Mine was a real minter, even had it's shipping box! I think I let it go for about £300, bet they are worth a packet now.

Pro-Ones are fun, I had one for a long while. The modulation options are way better than they first appear, you can get that thing to scream! It can certainly do the techno 'hoover' thing!

Let's see a pic of the re-casing! I remember it being quite a flimsy synth with a very plasticy/bendy top and all the knobs just mounted directly to the circuit board. I can't imagine many will have survived entirely intact. Mine was a real minter, even had it's shipping box! I think I let it go for about £300, bet they are worth a packet now.

The Pro One is a relatively new addition to the fold (I sold the OSCar i had advertised on here recently).

It's in bits at the mo pending fitment of the Midi kit. I'll post some pics when it's done.

...and yes i pad a-lot more than £300 for it!

I've played guitar for about 30 years. I had a fairly long period when I didn't practice much, but I've also had long stretches when I practiced a lot.

I've had shifting musical tastes over the years, so these days, a a guitarist, I'm a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none. So I'm a pretty good rock guitarist for a classical player, a pretty decent jazz guitarist for a classical guitarist, and so on. I wouldn't say I'm really great at any genre, though.

I can read music, though, and could probably pass grade 8 classical guitar or even higher with a few months practice. I have grade 7 but didn't do 8 as I didn't get round to doing the theory exam.

I have a nice G&L ASAT, and a couple of cheap guitars, and a nice-ish Spanish classical guitar.

I used to play tenor saxophone, which is hilariously easy compared to the guitar, although I haven't played in 20 years.

I've played guitar for about 30 years. I had a fairly long period when I didn't practice much, but I've also had long stretches when I practiced a lot.

I've had shifting musical tastes over the years, so these days, a a guitarist, I'm a bit of a jack of all trades, master of none. So I'm a pretty good rock guitarist for a classical player, a pretty decent jazz guitarist for a classical guitarist, and so on. I wouldn't say I'm really great at any genre, though.

I can read music, though, and could probably pass grade 8 classical guitar or even higher with a few months practice. I have grade 7 but didn't do 8 as I didn't get round to doing the theory exam.

I have a nice G&L ASAT, and a couple of cheap guitars, and a nice-ish Spanish classical guitar.

I used to play tenor saxophone, which is hilariously easy compared to the guitar, although I haven't played in 20 years.

I wish I had your skills. One of the reasons I love electronica - I can produce it without being able to play any one instrument well.

Gob-irons/tin sandwiches/harmonicas, call em what you will. I've got a fair few of them.
But I was mainly a keyboardist in bands through the 80's/90's/00's.
I had 2 Vox Continentals ( one as a spare, as they were a bit temperamental for use on the road) along with various synths of the era. My mainstay was an Ensoniq, it just did what I wanted it to & didn't sound like just another Roland or Yamaha of the era.
Studio use, other than my gigging gear, well I went through the Moog Prodigy & mini-Moog, loved the Prophet V, a Rhodes which played like a total pig but I still loved it, DX7...it was always a bit too clinical sounding for my taste, had to run it through a valve amp to warm it up a bit.
Ahh, happy days.
Matt.

We've got heaps of instruments at home.

I play the guitar badly, and synths badly, my wife plays the piano and the drums well, and our son plays the harp and horns, the harp not so well (lack of practice) and the horns well (lots of practice).

So between us we've got three pianos (grand piano, upright, and electric), a pedal harp, trumpet, 2 cornets, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, electric drum kit, various synths (DX7, K2000, K5000, TX81Z), oh, and a recorder, and a flute if I remember.

We've managed to get two pianos (upright and electric) loaned out to friends, which helps with the instrument overload.

Cesare

Oh, and just remembered there's a cello as well, which the wife took up last year.

All our instruments are classically inclined but we do have a house-full. The decent stuff includes a violin, 2 violas (both v nice), a 'cello, 2 flutes (one student, one pro) and 3 pianos including 2002 Yamaha C3 and 1911 Steinway O grands.

Too much!

I wish I had your skills. One of the reasons I love electronica - I can produce it without being able to play any one instrument well.

(much as I hate the word electronica) I can stagger around a keyboard so my music is electronic. Your alleged lack of instrumental skills are only part of making a track. I am assuming you produce, mix, arrange etc your own music? That is just as much a skill. Programming sounds effectively is another skill. As Tony L says a lot of good music has been made by non-proficient musicians and a lot of twaddle has been made by very proficient ones.

Why not post some of your music on Soundcloud and we can all enjoy it?

Sorry meant to add, numerous synths and rack modules. A banana modular I have (or still am?) built myself from other peoples PCBs. Logic X and some soft synths but not loads as the ones you can buy offer so many options you don't need hundreds. NI Maschine and FM8, Arturia, Waldorf, Casio, Sinevibes, U-he Bazille are some favourites. Logic X.

Guitars...... Tokai 81 Love Rock Custom; Tokai 82 Love Rock Standard; Self Rolled Strat to vintage 58 spec, graphite saddles and nut, Rio Grande pups, steel trem block, all fitting in black, Squier Cabronita with Bigsby.

Bass...... Tokai J Bass 1984; Seymour Duncan pups

Acoustics..... 1971 Tokai Hummingbird; A very old 12 string of indeterminate make.

Keys....... Studiologic SL990XP 88 key piano weighted master keyboard; Evolution synth action 61 note master keyboard driving various piano smaples and soft synths.

Mics........ Cathedral Pipes Regensberg Dom, hand made in the USA U47 clone; A pair of Beyer 930 SDCs; A pair of Sm57s.

4x Seventh Circle N72 pres (Neveish style kit) in a Seventh Circle rackmount case and PSU; A pair of PROAUDIO PA27 graphics converted to balanced operation:

Kemper amp modeller black rackmount version: Steve Vai Morely Volume pedal; Snarling Dog Wah pedal; Dunlop Univibe pedal; Elektroharmonix Ravish Sitar pedal:

Prism Orpheus interface

Cubase 8 with various plugins

I've got a few guitars. I suppose the laundry list is required:

Fender Telecaster, 3FEB1966B, I've had it more than half my life

Fender Esquire, a recent Mexican-made reissue

Rickenbacker 610/12, "the beast with too many strings", from the early 1990s

Rickenbacker 330, from this century, I've never bonded with it and would gladly sell it

Hofner flattop, a cheap 1970s/1980s generic dreadnaught model that sounds surprisingly good, I call it a "campfire guitar"

Gibson J45, purchased new in this century, it's still breaking in and warming up

I also have a cheap plastic recorder I bought for a couple of bucks at the dime store, but it actually works

For amplification I have a '63 blackface Fender Deluxe-Amp, a '65 Fender Champ-Amp, a '66 Vox Cambridge Reverb (made in USA by Thomas Organ Company, imagine a cross between an AC10 and a Fender Princeton Reverb), a replica of the Marshall 18-watt "1974", and a replica of a Vox AC15 that's still under construction.

Martin D28. Been chipping away on guitar for 20 years. I had a Fender Tele for a while, but found that I didnt have time to practise both instruments and make the progress I wanted to make. My favourite site for learning new stuff is justinguitar.com

How is the rebuild coming on?

Regads

Thanks for asking Stephen I have been meaning to update my build thread. The CMI build has stalled for the moment but I do need to post some updates that have happened since my last post.

I have rebuilt the main-frame and the mains side of the PSU.

Next I need to install the Rev 5 card cages before I start to mod them so that I can mount some early MFM disks that we still have to check if they have any sounds / sequences on them.

I sold my OSC and purchased a fairly a rough SCI Pro One so I have been re-building this into a hardwood case, have swapped out the J-Wire keyboard and am now installing the midi retrofit.

I'll try to post an update with photos over the weekend.

Fender Tele 80's Japanese picked up cheap in the US. A $1 screwdriver saved me being robbed by HM's organised criminals ;) . It's Sunburst with Maple fret board & plays beautifully (if only I could play it :()

Yamaha APX semi acoustic. It's OK, but if I could choose again I'd just go normal Acoustic. Very rarely play it.

Yamaha Classical Guitar. Dunno why I bought it.

Dean baby-Z. Bought for the kids.

Stagg 3/4 Bass. Ditto, but I'm practising with it now, planning a swoop on a proper Bass.

2 Kawai CA-65 Pianos. One was for student digs & has returned home for now..

Roland Fantom X6, gathering dust.

Alto Sax, can't remember what make, but cost a few bob. Never get's played now.

Flute, fancy Silver one. Ditto

Piccolo, fancy Silver one. Ditto

Clarinet. Ditto

Hohner Accordion. Daughter's latest whim, which she does play a bit.

Assorted Bongos, Maracas, Harmonicas etc...

Did have a lovely set of Pearl Drums with fancy Cymbals, sadly made room for a Mini Grand Piano, which we got shut of 5 years later (reclaiming a large portion of room). Biggest regret was flogging the Roland TD-8 V-Drums, which had 12" Snare & fancy Cymbals. Should never have sold those!

Upside of having instruments is my Daughter is Grade 8 on Piano, Sax & Flute & plans to do Diploma some day. Sadly, can't get my lad to follow.

Oh & there was that Bake-off that broke into a PFM Jam with an ex-Fall Drummer on skins! :cool:

I sold my OSC and purchased a fairly a rough SCI Pro One so I have been re-building this into a hardwood case, have swapped out the J-Wire keyboard and am now installing the midi retrofit.

Out of interest what did you get for the OSCar? They are very rare and rather sought after these days. I had a very early and very buggy MIDI one that I liked a lot aside from the fact it always crashed shortly after sticking any MIDI sequence data into it, and crashed to the extent it wiped it's memories. It made it all but unusable in our studio context as it was lucky to get to the end of a track! Even so I still got £650 for it, and that was back in around '93. There was a great synth in there somewhere; the digital oscillators were great, the dual resonance filter exceptional, though the envelopes were a bit stodgy and the MIDI implementation was a total disaster.

Mine was a pre-midi (quite an early s/n).

I agree that it was the filter that made the synth special but overall the build quality was just dire and let the whole machine down.

Just before I decided to sell OSC 2 developed a fault so i sold it as faulty. They seem to attain around the £2K mark for a mint version with midi.

I did consider repairing it or having it repaired but by this time i'd had enough.

Nice Les Paul R9 lemon burst
Two nice USA PRS's
Looking for a nice Tele...

Just ordered a nice Friedman amp....yowser

smallbox_front-large.jpg

advertisement

Back