advertisement

Muse

MichaelC

pfm Member
Since I seem to be in the Ms I looked up to the cds and thought, aha, I have not listened to Muse in a long while.

And, I do not recall much mention of Muse here on PFM. So, I popped Black Holes and Revelations on this afternoon, and, to be honest felt somewhat devoid of feeling. Other than Knights of Cydonia, which I remember from when it was released and when it got a lot of MTV airplay, Black Holes doesn't really do it for me.

Not to give up, given their popularity I thought maybe I should give Absolution a whirl. Well, I have to say I prefer Absolution by quite some margin to Black Holes. More interesting things going on here but still not a satisfying listen as a whole.

I guess this is where computer audio has it benefits - cull the best tracks from the Muse output and problem solved.

Well, not one to give up I will later explore Origin of Symmetry and Showbiz.

So, what do the Fishies think of Muse?

BHAR is alright, with some decent tracks.

Absolution is a cracker and my favourite. The other earlier albums are also pretty good.

Like Muse but haven't listened to them in years.

Went to their outdoor concert in teignmouth and they are fantastic live.

"Showbiz" is a bit *meh*, "Origin of Symmetry" is a better start.

"Absolution" is by far their best IMHO, before they started all that conspiracy theory boll***s.

(For e.g.) Origin of Symmetry = sounds like Radiohead album = I don't like.
Black Holes ... = does not sound much like Radiohead album = I like.

I'd hope they are good live as they just don't grab me at all from anything I have seen on the TV.

Discovered them around 'The Origin of Symmetry' - agree that 'Absolution' is maybe their strongest.
Was all getting a bit samey on 'Black Holes' and follow up 'The Resistance' was poor.
Most recent album 'The 2nd Law' is a return to form.

First half of Absolution is excellent, particularly Hysteria. The Resistance and The 2nd Law are also very good, but I think Live at Rome Olympic Stadium is their best album, although I can't find it on vinyl.

Seen them live and my daughter used to play them a lot. They are great musicians with some great tunes for sure yet never felt there was much feeling in their music.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom