advertisement

Moving Magnet Magic!

A&R P77 - a lovely thing. I have a body but last I looked no-one does decent replacement styli
PM me your address and I can send you a P77 head that needs a retip which ESCO can sort. Also have a fully working E77 head here going spare I'd be happy to sell.

Love my P77s, have a P77Mg in rotation with an OC5 in system 2, and two further complete P77s in full retail packaging.

PM me your address and I can send you a P77 head that needs a retip which ESCO can sort. Also have a fully working E77 head here going spare I'd be happy to sell.

Love my P77s, have a P77Mg in rotation with an OC5 in system 2, and two further complete P77s in full retail packaging.
Not only can ESCo supply new P77 styli, they can also sell you a version with a Paratrace stylus, or even a Paratrace on a gemstone cantilever.

Huge joy to be had with good quality MM's.
I have various MC's (owned many more), but still really love me Nagaoka MP-500.
A purity and honesty about the sound.

Audio Technica carts are always fun if a bit lean sounding typically. But by far my favourite MM cart is the Rega Exact. It's rythmic and involving but unlike most fast sounding carts has lots of weight and body. Bass is full and life-like and the midrange is lovely. The most musically satisfying cart I've ever owned.

Until now! I reckon the Ania Pro might just beat the Exact at it's own game. All the Exact goodness but with added detail and clarity. Damn good cartridge.

However, I still maintain that the king of the MM world is still the Ortofon 2M Black.
I agree with Tony. I think the old 540 is a more balanced cart than the Black. The 2M Black prioritises detail over just about everything else leading to an impressive but frustrating experience. I'd take the Exact over it all day long and I'm really excited about the new Rega MM cart which has a different body, generator and a better stylus. I think it might just be an astonishingly good MM cartridge.

Possibly not classed as moving magnet by some but thr Grado F1+ moving iron cartrige that I used on a Pioneer PL112d was a belter. Using a smaller, lighter piece of iron than a magnet on the end of the cantilever, a moving iron cart tracks more accurately.

I definitely plan to reinvestigate Grado at some point. I remember really liking them and I suspect they’d work ok with a valve phono stage unlike most modern MMs that require insanely low capacitance.

Thanks for the kind offer. I have a good stock of cartridges and NOS styli to work through before I get to projects so I am happy to stand aside for anyone who would like to take you up on this.

I love the AT440MLb, am on my 2nd stylus. I also recently got its successor AT540 as a spare. Works great for me even though I have other more expensive cartridges around, unused.

I’ve ended up quite a fan of MM carts. Current collection:

Nagaoka MP-500.
Shure V15/III (styluses: VN35E, VN35HE, Jico Basie MBR).
Early ‘60s Shure M44-5 (M55E, M44E, M44-7, Jico M55E Nude).
Ortofon 540/II.
Shure M95ED (N95ED).

There is a substantial thread here:

Depending on stylus, those M44's can deliver superb sound. I remember being shocked hearing one in a humble arm on a 301. Fantastic bass slam. M95 - a civilized cart. I have a p-mount version on my Technics SL1500 mki. It just seems to get out of the way.

Depending on stylus, those M44's can deliver superb sound. I remember being shocked hearing one in a humble arm on a 301.

53219871015_7a53f60e59_b.jpg

Yes, this M44E is an absolute monster! So high-output it is actually hard to turn the system down enough, it really kicks! In many ways I prefer it to either the MP-500 and V15/III. A real eye-opener.

Yes, this M44E is an absolute monster! So high-output it is actually hard to turn the system down enough, it really kicks! In many ways I prefer it to either the MP-500 and V15/III. A real eye-opener.

It can certainly boogie like there was no tomorrow, but I prefer the rather more subtle M55E.

Both great cartridges though. :)

Cracking MMs in rotation
Ortofon 2M LVB
Jico M44 with SAS Boron
Sumiko Amethyst
Ortofon Concorde Century
If you count Moving Iron - Grado Aeon

Audio Technica carts are always fun if a bit lean sounding typically. But by far my favourite MM cart is the Rega Exact. It's rythmic and involving but unlike most fast sounding carts has lots of weight and body. Bass is full and life-like and the midrange is lovely. The most musically satisfying cart I've ever owned.

Until now! I reckon the Ania Pro might just beat the Exact at it's own game. All the Exact goodness but with added detail and clarity. Damn good cartridge.
I’m waiting so much of the match between Ania pro and the new upcoming Nd7 ;)

advertisement

Back