advertisement

Most dynamic electronic music you've heard

Knipester

pfm Member
I love electronica however many recordings are flat and lifeless. Any recommendations for really well recorded music in this genre would be much appreciated

Dustin O'Halleran - Lumiere? Nils Frahm? Try the erased tapes website for some interesting stuff or can you give some indication of what kind of artists currently you like

I find most of it sounds great, at least the stuff I like. How about Murcof Martes or Remembranza, Flanger Midnight Sound, Shpongle's Are You Shpongled (or anything by them), anything you can find by Mike Sheridan or Oliver Lieb/LSG/Spicelab etc. I'm actually hard pressed to think of any really badly recorded electronica of the more ambient IDM area.

PS I notice whilst adding the links a Flanger album exists that I do not own, this will be rectified...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
In terms of wide dynamic range try the album Forever Young (most of it anyway) by Alphaville or the track One Night in Bangkok by Murray Head. Great music anyway.

These will sound "quiet" so you'll have to set the volume higher than you're used to.

Hi Knipester. I'm also a fan of electronic music. What artists / albums have you been listening to? Some electronica is released by small labels with limited budgets so I guess they may scrimp on production.

I'm currently listening to some Yello. Their music is very well recorded with a wide dynamic range. The albums they released in the 80s and 90s are classics of their genre: Stella, Flag and One Second. For something a bit more up to date, Trentemoller - The Last Resort comes to mind as an electronic album that is very well recorded.

Damian

31HeYjClF1L.jpg

As mentioned in its description here @ Amazon, this release comes in three flavours, with four listening options (stereo Chill, stereo Berlin remix. 5.1 Berlin remix and 9.1 Auro 3D* Original mix). Last night I listened to the 5.1 Berlin mix and I was hooked within 30 seconds. So much so in fact, I got up, switched the lights off and went to that special place where there is no spoon i.e. the moment. DMH has been nominated for 4 separate Grammy's for best multichannel mix, and if the rest of his music is like this, then goodness knows why he hasn't won at least once because the surround mix is superb!

I then played the stereo Chill mix, which is more or less the same album, but without the uptempo grooves and I loved it just as much. I should add this album is perfect for late night listening because even the full-fat version is a long way away from what could be called club rave tempo; I dare say, it's probably best described as chilltronica.

If you like electronic music and like to relax late at night, this is the one to buy...especially if you have a surround sound setup!

* If the appropriate hardware isn't in place, the BDA outputs a 5.1 fold-down version of the 9.1 mix to make it compatible, so you don't need an Auro 3D capable AVR to hear the Original mix in surround sound; albeit, in 5.1 instead of 9.1 surround sound.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I listened to a few of the suggestions.....

Just wondering - are illegal substances needed to get any enjoyment out of these? :confused:

I listened to a few of the suggestions.....

Just wondering - are illegal substances needed to get any enjoyment out of these? :confused:

Absolutely none for Parallax Eden - although a good surround system will do the trick for you :D

Early Panasonic? Gives my deck a good run in. e.g. Osasto EP.

Rashad Becker? Only album 'Notional Species'.

Im loving the suggestions and will certainly check them out during my next listening session.

Nils frahm is already liked but many of the suggestions are new to me.

I've been enjoying David shaw & the beat, east India youth, Barbarossa, & the avener, to name but a few. Mainly found by chance on my Qobuz sublime subscription service (which is fab).

I'm a real fan of great tracks that extend well beyond the confines of the usual soundstage such as maps, we can create, it will find you.

Trentemöller / The Last Resort

The most astonishing difference in presentation I ever experienced between CD and record.
The CD sounds like easy listening entertainment
where the (excellent) record reveals a universe of a deeply intelligent electronic symphony.

No other release of Trentemöller ever came even close to this, so should you be tempted, prepare for bad surprise.

Panasonic I like too I'm a bit surprised they are metioned...didn't expect them to be well known.
I just looked, I have their KULMA double LP, but not the Osato EP.

Panasonic I like too I'm a bit surprised they are metioned...didn't expect them to be well known.

I saw them play live on the roof of the RFH in That London! Excellent stuff. I've got a couple of their albums too.

Electronica is quite a wide genre.

The Empirion LP sounds rather nice and it's a decent album. Though "Narcotic Influence" sounds better on 12" but then it would. One of my all time favourite records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B589nZlufyI

BT's "Ima" LP sounds fairly vibrant and is a decent collection of interesting sounds. The LP doesn't feature this Sasha mix, which is also one of my all time favourites, but it will give you a taste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgeOd9XbJPQ

The Prodigy's "Music for the Jilted Generation" LP sounds great.

I saw them play live on the roof of the RFH in That London! Excellent stuff. I've got a couple of their albums too.

Lucky you, that must have been a phantastic event ! :)
I'd be interested in the Osato EP in case you have one in store,
would be nice if you drop me a pm.

Try blowing all the drivers in your speakers with Ryoji Ikeda's 'Test Pattern' on Raster Noton records. :)

An interesting thread, thanks! I've been a bit stuck recently with the output of the Ultimae label - Asura, Solar Fields, Carbon Based Lifeforms, AES Dana. It is all down-tempo and much of it seems quite dynamic to me.

I think Helios is rather good but not sure if its electronica, though.

I'm just listening to the David Miles Huber Tony L recommended. Quite different to the Ultimae style but I'm enjoying it. I'll try some of the other recommendations tomorrow.

advertisement

Back