advertisement

More interesting YouTube reviewers

RoA

pfm Member
Not a Fremer but I came across him and really like his presentation style. The product itself was of no great interest to me.

Here's a review of microphones, some classic and some modern:

Opinions on each appreciated. Actually it's not a review at all. It's the evidence. Each recorded without compression nor equalisation. You're the reviewer . . .

Best wishes

David P

I rather like Amir's channel - better than the website :)

It's growing really fast and i predict will evolve into one of the largest youtube audio channels if he maintains this easy-going, chatty style.

Unfortunately I find many of these youtube audio review channels little more then extensions of the marketing departments of many audio companies. Doesn't mean they aren't interesting to watch but the conclusions are often highly suspect.
This ASR review of the Audioquest dac is a classic example of the problem. This dac launched a year or so back to great fanfare and a flood of gushing online video reviews. Turns out when you look at what it's actually doing compared to much cheaper competition, well it's a dog.

My subscribed channels are really just for the music although as I am having a garage converted soon to a listening room, Small Room Audio should be useful.
Fremer is my favourite for his presentation style and content (except when that teenage kid is with him) but I have learned so much from Ken Micallef and recently caught up on all of Norman Maslov's shows which echo more precisely my own tastes.

It's a strange changing world for us oldsters. A few years ago I lived in a market town in the South West and this chap ran a technology shop (computers, consumer audio, cameras, gadgets,...) which seemed to be doing OK. He shut it down because his youtube channel was becoming more profitable. It didn't appear to me to be particularly significant then or now but he had a wife and kids and didn't seem to be in a position to mess about when it came to income.

There really does seem to be a living to be made at this sort of thing even at a fairly modest level. Perhaps that's why there are so many of them.

advertisement

Back