advertisement

Monaco Gp, actual vs average speed.

Markus the 20/3 is an almost entirely new TT,

WRT to the GPA, I found it surprising that even the Stereophile Review didn't include any measurements, though I do detect a certain amount of cynicism in the prose from M. Fremer.

Mr Fremer had another bandwagon to ride. Sadly I understand the wheels have fallen off that particular one.

Yes apparently they need five orders to initiate production,I like the Caliburn, I believe the original designer may be working on something else.
Keith.

Honestly couldn't say, the designer left the company ,I don't. really know why, a friend of his told me he may be working on something new and more affordable.
Keith.

Dave, are you getting your knickers in a twist over those 1210's you sell? I thought this thread was about quality decks, Brinkamnns, TWA's, SME's.

Perhaps you could show us some figures for one of your Art Of Sound approved decks and make converts out of all of us. I hear Disco is back in a big way, it could be time to strike out with a super modified disco deck....

I'm sure SME owners are a model of restraint.

Some perhaps.

All joking aside, I'd still love to hear a GPA at some point. Aesthetically and conceptionally it ticks the boxes for me. Just sadly the price point is unattractive.

I still rate the SP10 Mk3 as a truly special deck and if the GPA get's anywhere close to it then it will be a mighty good vinyl spinner.

Hi SQ

No, I mainly sell SME and I have no connection with the Art of Sound.

I can provide figures on lots of things and I am waiting, as you are, for the figures used by GPA to authoritively say their turntable is 'The Monaco 1.5 is roughly 20 times more speed accurate than the best of the belt drives. (post #11)

BTW, I especially liked your posts #1 and #3

Dave

Nobody picked up on my comment on another thread that the GPA white paper has a schoolboy flaw in it - quote "Lloyd points out that LPs contain only amplitude information" "Spinning the disc supplies the frequency information" this is wrong. This is from a team whose experience is in racing car technology, when there are other designers have been designing record players for 20 years plus, their case for a ground-breaking TT doesn't exactly convince me.

mat

Hi SQ

No, I mainly sell SME and I have no connection with the Art of Sound.

I can provide figures on lots of things and I am waiting, as you are, for the figures used by GPA to authoritively say their turntable is 'The Monaco 1.5 is roughly 20 times more speed accurate than the best of the belt drives. (post #11)

BTW, I especially liked your posts #1 and #3

Dave

Can you supply measurements; for the turntables you sell, then we would have something to compare against.
Keith.

Nobody picked up on my comment on another thread that the GPA white paper has a schoolboy flaw in it - quote "Lloyd points out that LPs contain only amplitude information" this is wrong. This is from a team whose experience is in racing car technology, when there are other designers have been designing record players for 20 years plus, their case for a ground-breaking TT doesn't exactly convince me.

mat

Alvin Lloyd
'Yes, records contain only amplitude information, the speed and
quality of how speed is maintained define the frequency of the playback
signal. This is an undeniable fact. '

Pitch does change of course if you momentarily slow the platter.
Keith.

Can you supply measurements; for the turntables you sell, then we would have something to compare against.
Keith.

Hi Keith, I can't measure in the way GPA have, they must have all the figures otherwise they could not say it is 20 better than the best !

So we are all waiting for you Keith, no hurry old chap !

Dave

Alvin Lloyd

Keith.

By your logic we would have to slow and speed up the platter to get a different note/pitch. The amplitude of the wave gives loudness the distance between waves gives you pitch which is why it's called frequency- this is a fact.

mat

Do you not have any measurements for the turntables you represent, I thought you might have, what with your 'reviewer' status?
Keith.

Alvin Lloyd

Keith.

What is encoded on the record is length and amplitude, which is turned into frequency and amplitude by the rotation of the platter. Frequency changes if rotational speed changes, but it is clearly wrong to say only amplitude information is on the record.

What is encoded on the record is length and amplitude, which is turned into frequency and amplitude by the rotation of the platter. Frequency changes if rotational speed changes, but it is clearly wrong to say only amplitude information is on the record.

thank you

By your logic we would have to slow and speed up the platter to get a different note/pitch. The amplitude of the wave gives loudness the distance between waves gives you pitch which is why it's called frequency- this is a fact.

mat
That makes no sense at all.

Lloyd is completely correct on this.

You could contrast it with a CD or hard disc or even analogue VTR where the encoding has an embedded clock, with a record the clock, or angular velocity, is implicit and has to be correct at the point of replay, you cannot time-base correct for variations later.

Paul

advertisement

Back