advertisement

Moerch GS6a (Delphon) TT with Excel Sound ES-801 TONEARM + Leak LT12+ Mono amp

Rosewind

Lost in Translation
Latest addition to my Danish collection:
Moerch / Delphon GS6a in near mint condition with Excel Sound ES-801 tonearm from the time before Moerch completed his versatile Moerch UP-4 unipivot tonearm that then of course became standard issue with the turntable:
Di1UpXHl.jpg

ixlt3Fgl.jpg

N7h1hUil.jpg

9fKQIZRl.jpg

Forthcoming next week - one mono power amp Leak TL12+ just like this one (without the Leak varislope III preamp):

s-l1600.jpg

When I have sold off some more kit, I will be looking for one of these.

The deck looks really cool. I take it this is an idler? A pic of the insides would be interesting.

What is going on with the TL12 Plus? Looks like someone has built a preamp into it somehow. Converted into a guitar amp head?

It is an idler-wheel turntable. I will reveal more in due time. The first owner of it was a collector who played it very little, the second owner inherited it and played it very little presumably because he had other kit around. I'm owner number three of serial number 406.

The Leak in the picture is from an eBay auction where the seller has placed the preamp on top of the TL12+ to snap a photo. My TL12+ mono amp is completely original.

Here are photos of my Leak TL12+:

escMUTGh.jpg

CypnM4zh.jpg

3dYXIgoh.jpg

sw56cFah.jpg

I may be wrong but I think that the TL12 plus is possibly a broadcasting version in which case the output transformer may not be a standard type.

I may be wrong but I think that the TL12 plus is possibly a broadcasting version in which case the output transformer may not be a standard type.

Certainly looks like it to me.

51071029537_4df5070344_b.jpg

Mine are earlier, the first colour variation, but all domestic versions similarly have a 4/8/16 Ohm impedance selector on top of the output transformer and two standard screw terminals for the speakers on the back. No front panel holes either.

I don't think that cable length is your biggest concern here. Although not technically savvy enough to give you a definitive answer, I think that you will struggle to get these modified versions working properly in a domestic system.

The seller writes in his advert that it has a 16 ohm speaker output. The output transformer is labelled 8614. I will definitely pass on that one.

I let the TL 12+ go, but kept the Moerch turntable that looks perfect with my AD Audio "Satchmo", EAR 516, TRON Convergence Signature MM Riaa, PC/Juli@ Sound Card streaming. They will be playing into the new wall-mounted JBL L52s from about tomorrow. I haven't decided which cartridge to use - Shure M97eX or Decca Maroon - but I have a feeling that the Decca may hum because of the Moerch metal plinth. I'll soon know.

As you can see in the last photo, I am in the process of reorganising my set-ups. The JBL L52 Classic speakers are tiny compared to the humungous Lowther TP1 London corner horns and the shelf-top Quad ESL 57s.

1EQHFbHl.jpg

oB2MIyml.jpg

YKOAm1Yl.jpg

advertisement

Back