advertisement

MMKs in feedback

well, been listening most of the day now. There's definitely something different about the HF presentation. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I've been hearing little details I've never heard before, such as a rasp on a "sp" sound in a vocal, more detail to a bass note, that kind of thing. It feels like I've gained the openness of the previous 3.3uf polys, but retained the warmth in the bass of the bc128s, and without any of the ear-splitting treble. Worth doing I reckon, even if it is a tad fiddly. At the moment its one of my more successful bypassing capers - always removed them in the past...

James, good stuff.

My Rega Planet used to have Ceramic 100nf bypasses everywhere, all the ICs, the lot, I changed them out slowly, one by one for metalised polypropalene and had a listen and a settle down period between each, even in the digital sections (supply decoupling, not signal) the effect was unmistakable!

Took it even further last week, by sheer fluke, I happened upon a bag of what must be the last 125v 100nf axial polystyrenes on the planet (made by Ducati) I knew what was coming, and how!

All the 'styrenes in the bag went in, around fifteen or so, one by one again with a listen in between, lovely, just top upgrade, so much goodness, and from CD!

Gobsmacked by that result, I wonder what bypassing the 100nfs with 100pfs would do..so I did....

Polystyrenes at that size maybe as rare as hens teeth but I'm betting that film/foil polyprop FKP at 100nf types won't be far behind.

Edit: I replaced COG ceramic types and ceramic discs directly with foil polystyrenes not metalized polyprop, the polyprops replaced the supply bypass ceramic beads originally, I'm not sure that metalised polyprop types would be an improvement over the COGs and discs.

Nice one James! Looks like im going to have to get the soldering iron out. . . Mark, Im suprised you noticed an improvement by changing the ceramics in the digital section. I thought i read somewhere that they were the best capacitor for that job. Could have me wires crossed though!

Matt,

I think cost and wave soldering are the reasons they don't use them, I could also be wrong but the effect was definately right though!

I tried polystyrene bypass/coupling caps (100nF) with BC128's in my Naim kit and didnt think they were as good as polypropylene.

Matt,

If the 'styrenes you used were either 30v or 63v then I'm not suprised, I tried these two ratings (Sufflex) and the props were better, the 125v Ducatis though were better than the 250v props and I have some 630v rated 10-22N rated styrenes yet to try, only problem is the size though, they are very large, add to that a mild modders burn-out a left over from my kit being in a constant state of flux, that will stop when I get another player to mod that will stay outside the main system.

The things we do eh?

IMG_5088.jpg

:eek::eek:

Jeckel: I can't be arsed.

Hyde: ah go on!

IMG_5092.jpg

I have a couple each of these going spare for experiment, 1000 and 1500v 47n and 10n polyprop film/foil, gratis, give them a go and see what happens (if anything).

Just had a look at the 'styrenes and they are 10nF not 100nF but must be high voltage because the legs are much fatter than the 160v ones. . .

Fitted the BC128's last night - sounds pretty good on one channel. . . Oh dear, time for a new thread :(

advertisement

Back