advertisement

Mission failure: Willy to the rescue

ncp

pfm Member
Thought I'd share an experience of Mission 753 speakers. I bought a new pair in '95 and kept them until in about 2003 I saw a pair of Royd RR2's for sale which I bought. I thought they sounded much better than the 753's so the Missions got retired into their boxes where they remained. Recently I gave them to my daughter and her boyfriend when they moved out. Tom told me they sounded a bit scratchy so I had a listen and they sounded awful. Got in touch with Mission and they told me the drivers were no longer available. So then I asked for any info they could supply on the mid-bass units - we had ran them with the tweeters dis-connected and one mid-bass unit was clearly failing also. Nothing back from Mission. Then I looked at Willy's HiFi and had a good chat with (I presume) Willy who told me over 95% of the tweeters would've failed and they had replacements. He also suggested a Monacor mid-bass replacement so I bought two so I could put in a pair that did match rather than splurging on all eight. We installed them on Sunday evening and the speakers sounded fantastic - I think the tweeters may have been failing back in 2003 when I thought the RR2's sounded better. Anyway, the main point of this is to give credit to Willy's HiFi and to encourage anyone with these speakers to consider driver replacement if theirs fail. Lamentable that Mission ignored the request for driver info - is it unreasonable for an owner to ask for this data if the manufacturers are not able to sell replacement drivers??
Actually, the tweeters in the RR2's failed a couple of years back and Willy sold me replacements for those too - great outfit!

+1 For Willy's. Got replacement tweeters from there for my Isobariks. I was able to discuss the options with him before committing.

Falcon Acoustics also worth considering.

Funny thing to me is that I have been 'around' hifi for many decades with an 'interest' in the DIY area. Bit of an armchair enthusiast and keep promising myself to do more actual stuff 'when I retire'. And until now I have never heard of Willy's at all. Yet we all know about Wilmslow Audio.

Willy's is Dutch isn't it? Probably why it's been a bit low profile in the UK in the past. I got a set of Scan d2010 replacement foams from them at vey reasonable cost a few years ago. UK suppliers just didn't seem interested and made them uneconomic to the point of buying a whole new tweeter instead in some cases (if they supplied them at all).

In the mid 90s, pre internet, I had to replace the tweeters on a pair of Celestion Ditton 44. The local electrical shop had some but they were a different shape, so I had to chisel away the veneer to get them to fit. I didn't know the speakers were decent, and sold them for £50 not long after. I hang my head in shame.

I had a pair of wharfedale Glendale speakers back in the 70's (man :cool:)
I managed to blow up one of the (think they were blue?) original tweeter's (and the other was hanging on by a thread)

My local electronics shop (eagle electronics in Ipswich) sold Alta tweaters so I saved up and bought a pair
What a difference!
They were so much better than the original ones (before they blew up:D)
I did love those speakers...my first proper hi-fi ones

advertisement

Back