advertisement

Mission 752 maintenance / improvement?

darkstarcrashes

pfm Member
I've had my Mission 752 speakers from new in 1995. Am wondering whether there'd be any appreciable sonic benefit from replacing the crossover capacitors and/or swapping the tweeters with new ones from Wilmslow Audio.

Any thoughts/opinions welcomed. Thanks.

(for context, I'm currently using a Quad 33/303 unmodified since new in 1974,but am considering getting a new Exposure 3510 integrated amp. Source is a Roksan Caspian M2 cdp)

I replaced the tweeters in my Rega Ela speakers - relatively easy and sounding great/better than before, smoother top. As the tweeters got older they seemed to get screechy (no ferro fluid, so not sure why).
I spent more on the tweeters than the “value” of the speakers, but well worth while for me.

If you do change the tweeters, what type would you put in? I think different models of 752 used different units (metal dome changed to fabric/silk dome?). Would that mean different crossover values?

The "Freedom" used a silk dome.
The original model has a very custom faceplate.

I always advise measuring the speaker first with REW and a computer microphone before you make any changes. This will give clues about what has gone wrong with age.

I believe that to replace the tweeter you have to send the baseplate assembly to Wilmslow Audio who install a new tweeter and then send the whole thing back to you.

If freedom, they should be fine, if the original non-freedom the tweeters are ferrofluid and that may need replacing as well as the electrolytic capacitors in the crossover. I had both versions of the 751 and much preffered the freedoms.

This works. I did it last summer. Takes the 'fizz' out of the original tweeters.

This works. I did it last summer. Takes the 'fizz' out of the original tweeters.

Was it a straightforward thing to do?

Was it a straightforward thing to do?
Dead easy.

You take your tweeters off (including the rectangular plastic baffle thing).

You then remove the old tweeter and send the plastic pieces to willys.

They come back with a new tweeter glued into the plastic pieces.

From here you connect/crimp/spade the wires and screw the plastic pieces back onto the speakers.

advertisement

Back