advertisement

minor scratches to cds.

Edwar65

pfm Member
Hi, can minor circular scratches on a cd cause a specific player to skip tracks and cause error messages?
In particular the player is a cd5x, strangely though, the CDs concerned play faultlessly when swopped over to my Arcam cd73???
Very confused, only recently picked up player s/h and thought I'd raise it before speaking to seller. I have now pulled several albums from my collection as they won't play on the main??
Any advice would be greatful.

Yes some CD Players are very choosy as to what they play! The Answer is to burn a copy and play that!

Yes!! One of the album's was a fave of mine too, Sade. Burnt a copy tonight and it played fab!!
Is it something specific to Naim players,as I said have had no issues with my trusty cd73??

Just not my thing! Nothing against them! I’m not much of a box swapper and the whole giant rack of boxes seems to me like a bit of a dick waving contest..

Yes, I had issues with my Naim CD5X. It seemed sensitive to CD condition and would sometimes make a "ticking" sound if the CD was slightly dirty or scratched. Cleaning the CD would usually resolve the former issue. My current Quad Elite CDP is also a bit picky whereas the Marantz Pearl Lite handled everything I threw at it. I think it's just one of those things.

on scracthed cds. CEX the 2nd hand dvd/blueray/cd store chain have a scratch remover machine that works by removing a very thind slice of the plastic top - can do wonders to a disc that wont play. The service is free for discs bought from them or £1 or so other wise

Maybe the player need to have its lens cleaned, get a cleaning CD and try that.

Not at all sure I have the confidence to try the Cd lens cleaner disc I bought 15 years ago on my up-market CDP. I was never convinced by that little brush thingy ! I guess lasers do need cleaning (or do they?), esp. on top-loading ones, and I wonder how best to tackle this manually. Not that I experience any problems playing CDs with scratches/marks, as I don't.

Tend to go with the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' scenario.

Scratched CD's which won't play can sometimes be salvaged by polishing out the scratches with toothpaste. More a last chance solution for badly scratched one's than a way of dealing with a fussy CD player though...

Scratched CD's which won't play can sometimes be salvaged by polishing out the scratches with toothpaste. More a last chance solution for badly scratched one's than a way of dealing with a fussy CD player though...

Yep - duraglit does same too. Sounds more like the laser getting tired to me though.

The VAM series of transports used in everything from the CD3.5 onward appear to exhibit this behaviour when the lasers are getting tired.

Unfortunately the market is inundated with inferior replacement parts so we don't offer this as a service any more.

I’ve used 4 replacements from Donberg.ie in the last 2 years or so, all have been fine. I’ve had nothing but problems with them twice before from other sources.

Thanks for replies. Yes had a chat with local naim Audio T retailer and they suggested it might be a laser issue. They,apparently, can repair in-house with parts supplied via naim?

I have a handful of discs that skip on my Naim CD5 and will play fine on my Marantz SA8005 and a few that will play on the CD5 but will skip on the Marantz. I can’t explain it, though don’t think anything’s wrong with the players, just the odd discs.

advertisement

Back