advertisement

Mid Priced DACs - What have people gone for?

One that doesn't get a mention very often but is an excellent DAC is the Eastern Electric (AudioEmotion are the only UK dealer I think) - haven't seen a bad word about it. I compared it with the M1DAC and it blew it away. I have also used the Benchmark DAC1 in my system and found it to be a bit clinical but still a very good DAC

I hope not. The CDQ sounds better than the DAC1 HDR, and so I had assumed that the MDAC, which is meant to sound better than the CDQ, would indeed do so. Maybe it was myG error in assuming that if A > B and C > A, then C > B? Damn you, logic!

Well that was my experience. Tbh I thought the MDAC was very disappointing, glassy, unmusical, and completely collapsed at any kind of crescendo or complexity. Tried it for a week, sent it back. Haven't had a CDQ at home, though did listen to one in a dealer thru my HD650s. Didn't think much of it either - "hifi". Liked my HDR a lot. And like my current Lavry DA11 a lot too. Makes beautiful music.

I suspect you will find that there is little, in terms of performance, between a £500 DAC and a £1500 one.

Well that was my experience. Tbh I thought the MDAC was very disappointing, glassy, unmusical, and completely collapsed at any kind of crescendo or complexity. Tried it for a week, sent it back.
Somebody on wigwam said more or less exactly the same thing:eek:

AFAIK the naim dac is severely limited for hi-rez use, i mean you can only do it via SPDIF so you would on top need up-to-task USB/SPDIF converter if you opt for PC audio. it actually doesn't have a USB audio input at all (the USB input it has is to plug a memory stick directly)...

however (as a non-naimee), i found it an excellent machine which in many ways re-established my faith if it's worth investing more than a grand in digital. it was by a large margin better than one of 1000 pounds benchmark machines (not benchmark brand) however it's ergonomy is pretty weak compared to some of the latest offerings.

Can fellow forum members help me draw up a list, even a short list, of mid priced DACs to consider.

I would expect it to have 24bit/192 USB.

In terms of price what is out there between £500 and say £1400. So I am thinking 1 step up from the Rega (just sold mine) but not stretching as far as the NAIM. I think I have also set the upper limit to exclude Cyrus. I have a NAIM system so pushing beyond £1400 or so, then I would "trade up" to the NAIM

So, I have identified

1/ AudioLab M-Dac
2/ TeddyDAC
3/ Leema Elements DAC
4/ Electrocompaniet DAC

Cheers
Gary

Hi Gary,
M2Tech Young DAC is a KILLER it the price range you mentioned. IMHO. ;)

Somebody on wigwam said more or less exactly the same thing:eek:

MDAC demands patience. it's not the best sounding DAC straight from the box. not sure if a week is enough to run it in, even if played 24/7. m2tech young is also needs time but doesn't sound as unconvincing when new.

luckily the impressions are different when fully run in. also choosing the correct filter is important. some are sounding a bit wooly and rolled off.

I don't think John Westlake is capable of producing a bad sounding DAC. I'm sure some of the (few) negative comments about the MDAC are simply due to the Audiolab badge on the front - people are perhaps sub-consciously expecting the 'Audiolab sound' of old (whatever that really is!)...

Expectation bias perhaps?

- John

I don't think John Westlake is capable of producing a bad sounding DAC. I'm sure some of the (few) negative comments about the MDAC are simply due to the Audiolab badge on the front - people are perhaps sub-consciously expecting the 'Audiolab sound' of old (whatever that really is!)...

Expectation bias perhaps?

- John

If you don't think the designer of the MDAC is capable of producing a bad design, surely it is you who is suffering from expectation bias?

I agree with Rocketride, although it might be a bit old-fashioned and not flavour of the month to say so, but the Young is very good indeed. I already liked it a lot, but thanks to Orangutang on here, I've just bought a used Avondale PSU for it and it's turned something that was already very good into something that's stunning.
You might argue that its PSU should be good enough anyway, but everything's built and sold to a price. The Young keeps coming up second-hand at decent prices, and it gives you 192kHz if you want to future-proof.

Out of interest, how long have you listened to an MDAC for?

I haven't - that's why I'm intrigued by the few that dislike the sound, after all the positive buzz recently. A couple have called it 'glassy' and 'hard edged', which seems at odds with just about every other comment I've heard about it, so far. This disparity intrigues me, though with different systems, rooms, ears, filter settings, burn-in etc etc I guess it's not that surprising. I'm not a brand 'fanboi', but I do try and keep tabs on the general 'jist' of products that interest me.

As it happens, I've actually just ordered an MDAC as it ticks all the right boxes for me, for the right price. Perhaps I've been foolish buying it without listening first (THE classic audiophile's mistake!), but John's previous designs have all been extremely solid, plus due to illness it's sometimes hard for me to get out there and listen to one. I shall report back (whenever it arrives!). It was either that on my short list, or waiting for a Bel Canto DAC1.5 to appear in the Classifieds. If I've made the wrong decision I guess I have 7 days to return it in.

- John

Not too late then to get some others to try alongside it, just in case you've been influenced, perhaps sub-consciously, by wishful thinking, Internet hype or expectation bias. A few quid in return postage is nothing for peace of mind.

Another Young DAC user here. Whilst I do plan to add an external pwr supply for it at some stage, I doubt,I'll be selling the Young for quite some time.
I bought mine 2nd hand for under £600. & it replaced a Lavry DA10.
Absolute bargain.
Matt.

just in case you've been influenced, perhaps sub-consciously, by wishful thinking, Internet hype or expectation bias.

Touché!!! :D

Out of interest, what system did you listen to the MDAC in? I presume you went through all the filters & none of them made much difference to the overall reproduction? So it never 'opened up' at all for you, or engaged you with the music in any way? This reminds me of some of the Benchmark DAC reviews - some people swear it's the best DAC out there, highly neutral, musical, others say it's soulless and cold. Guess it goes to show an extended demo is the only way to make a solid decision.

Has anyone here listened to the Bel Canto DAC1.5? Looks like a similar feature set to the MDAC, and I must say it looks fabulous. Fits into the OPs budget too.

- John

advertisement

Back