advertisement

Michell Gyrodec SE on Ikea Kallax

I'd go for a wall mounted shelf any day but...

I can't fit it - I'm useless with DIY.
I'm not sure my walls can take it or are constructionally helping in any way - I've plaster board and stud walls.
I may wish to move furniture in my listening around.

Also, I have an LP12 with a trampoline base.
I've never had any probs with feedback.
I previously had an Orbe and placed on cheap Ikea stuff.
There was no issues either but it looked so cheap.

FWIW. I have a spare Target wall shelf. It's the type constructed from 20mm square section steel tube. I wouldn't use it on a 'stud' wall though.
I had my Orbe SE on it for years.
Also a Sound Organisation three shelf rack of 20 mm tube construction which can be sat beneath and matches
It can go for a donation to PFM though the Sound Org would probably need collecting.

I'd go for a wall mounted shelf any day but...

I can't fit it - I'm useless with DIY.
I'm not sure my walls can take it or are constructionally helping in any way - I've plaster board and stud walls.
I've been advised by more than one dealer (who would otherwise happily flog me a wall shelf) not to use one with a dot and dab wall (ie plasterboard and studs).

The only way is to take off a section of the plasterboard, and replaster the wall conventionally; which soulnds like it will end up looking a bit of a state.

My quest for second-best in terms of lightness and rigidity has usually ended with the old-school Sound Organisation single tier stands.

I've been advised by more than one dealer (who would otherwise happily flog me a wall shelf) not to use one with a dot and dab wall (ie plasterboard and studs).
Yes, good advice, otherwise you are screwing it to a big drumskin.
The only way is to take off a section of the plasterboard, and replaster the wall conventionally; which soulnds like it will end up looking a bit of a state.
It would work, eventually after a lot of work, but it would be a massive PITx to sort out. Chopping out would make a right mess, you then need to render the gap, then skim and make good before redecorating. Urgh. No thanks.

Suppose you could drill the holes right through to the brickwork and use some resin type fixings or inject something to fill the gap. Unless you're lucky to pick up on a "dab"

I've experienced sound quality improvement by moving solid state kit from a Kallax to a more proper lightweight, rigid and stable hifi rack. This was on a slab on grade floor. The turntable has forever it seems been setting on an old AudioTech TT stand.

My quest for second-best in terms of lightness and rigidity has usually ended with the old-school Sound Organisation single tier stands.
I'd thought of sitting the deck in another romm but that got messy.ver had problems
I've never had problems with feedback with the Orbe or the LP12.
I'd go to far as to say my original Michell FocusOne didn't have probs.
I did notice feedback issues with very entry turntables - I think I had a Micro Seike MB10.

My gyro sits on a 40mm slate shelf atop a stainless steel hi fi frame, no movement whatsoever, nice.
I've experienced improvements by using a lighter shelf upon which the turntable sets. Went from 1500g MDF to 850g Baltic birch plywood. The heavier the shelf the lower the resonant frequency, and therefore, more vibrational energy. There is always movement. It's that sometimes you can't detect it, but the electronics can and it shows up as microphony.

If you require the best isolation for your Gyro then a decent wall shelf is about as good as it gets- l have my SE on an Audiophile Base Gen 2 and this has improved sound quality quite a bit, this sits on a Kallax, however wall shelf is still king.

Good luck. :)

Ooops nearly forgot l have SDS pads under The SE's feet and this was another step up in SQ.đź‘Ť

Kallax units come with wall brackets. Use these to fix one to the wall and it won't wobble about. I use a couple of large units anchored to the wall for record storage duty and the don't move. I have never tried one for a TT though.

I keep getting Lagom Studio appearing on my socials. Probably clicked on them too many times and they keep coming back. Looks like nice stuff and custom build to size requirements.

It's hot in there! What are the nice looking speakers?
That's a dB meter so no, it's to hot - but 25 centigrade in Scotland is nice!
Active ATC 50s on IsoAcoustic feet.
Not sure if the IsoAcoustic feet benefit much - I think they do slightly - I just can't stand the idea of of the large flat contact area of the speakers.

I'm about to order an Orbe SE and was wondering what to put it on. How pointy are the feet? Pointy enough to mark or dent furniture?

The Orbe feet aren’t very sharp/ pointy but there’s a fair bit of weight going through them….about 14kg total, so nearly 5kg per foot. It’s enough to leave an indentation on a wooden surface. I’ve got mine with an indented plastic cup under each foot to protect the wooden surface. Can’t remember where I got them from, probably eBay.
But any felt type pad or similar would work, as long as you’ve checked for levels again after you’ve sited it where you want.

I'm about to order an Orbe SE and was wondering what to put it on. How pointy are the feet? Pointy enough to mark or dent furniture?
I'd doubt the Orbe SE would damage any furniture but would look rather nice on most stuff especially Parker Knoll.

advertisement

Back