advertisement

Messages.

jimi

pfm Member
Just bought a 10" copy of OMD's messages what a great record brings back a lot of good memories of seeing them in the 80's always putting 110% effort into their live shows Liverpools second best ever band.

That's a superb record IMO, much better than the LP version, and a great recording too, though the cover version of Waiting For The Man on the flipside is perhaps a little ill-advised!

I've been looking for a Factory original of Electricity for ages now, I had one many years back but it seems to have vanished. That's their finest moment IMO.

Tony.

Absolutely one of the finest bands of the 80s. The 10" with the wire basket cover?
I hope Winston is enjoying his 30th year in retirement.

Just bought a 10" copy of OMD's messages what a great record brings back a lot of good memories of seeing them in the 80's always putting 110% effort into their live shows Liverpools second best ever band.

They're from Hoylake!

That's a superb record IMO, much better than the LP version, and a great recording too, though the cover version of Waiting For The Man on the flipside is perhaps a little ill-advised!

I've been looking for a Factory original of Electricity for ages now, I had one many years back but it seems to have vanished. That's their finest moment IMO.

Tony.

I have a copy. It's on Factory Records DIN2A, in a grey sleeve with the words 'denna disc ar nu dindisc' printed in white. Is that the one you're after?

They're from Hoylake!

Being pedantic, Meols. The phone number on Red Frame White Light is the phone box outside the Railway Inn.

Tony.

PS It's the black on black 'braille' sleeve FAC 6 I'm after. I'd pay £30, maybe even £40 for a really good EX/EX or better copy.

Red Frame White Light another good record, think I've got a signed copy of that i'll have to dig them out and have an OMD night.

Red Frame White Light another good record, think I've got a signed copy of that i'll have to dig them out and have an OMD night.

Indeed, though they quickly went down hill IMO. I love the 1st album (I've got an original with the die-cut sleeve), Organisation is good too (got the 45 with mine), but after that point I rapidly lose interest. The other related album that is worth tracking down if you haven't already is Compass by Dalek I, that is a real stunner, as good if not better than the first OMD LP. The Id's (pre-OMD) version of Julia's Song on the first Open Eye Street To Street compilation is worth a listen too.

Tony.

I remember seeing them in Belfast on the 'Architecture & Morality' tour in '81 I think. It was the first ever gig proper I'd been to as a 16yr old and I got oveerstimulated and passed out into the tits of a girl next to me. My mates thought I'd scored till the girl stepped back in horror and I hit the floor like a sack of shit. Next thing I know I am thrown over a bouncer's shoulder and dumped on the seps of the hall :( Great gig lol.

BTW you'll find some dindisc copies of the messages 10" HERE for not big money.

This takes me back to being a 14yr old. OMDs early work stands the test of time, but not sure about their later stuff.
One of the bands that proves all 1980s music wasn't caca IMO.

Being local I saw them quite a lot in church halls and the likes. They wanted to write great pop tunes with synths.
Check out the phrasing on Kraftwerks' Radioactivity and OMD's Electricity. Clearly the latter was a work of homage.

advertisement

Back