advertisement

Meridian service

garyi

leave blank
Anyone know anyone that services meridian actives? I am detecting some distortion on a fair number of tracks its weird, and at quite low volumes, They are M2s

Have they ever been serviced? If not they will be in desperate need of a recap, which may sort everything out. I recapped some M3's for a friend last year. Unscrew the plate amps from the cabinet, disconnect the umbilical. Pretty easy to do if you can wield a soldering iron.

God photos here: https://www.meridian-audio.info/viewphoto.php?compid=32

I'll take a look inside. That daughter board has removable 8 pin a ma bobs, I pulled them in and out a few times.

Another issue they make a bit of noise when turning on and off.

OK this is one speaker

rs2anb.JPG

k683yd.JPG

nbi33z.JPG

y7281f.JPG

8y3vlv.JPG

nehs1d.JPG

y3jgzk.JPG

230b9s.JPG

op0uaq.JPG

b8kp76.JPG

6uynhy.JPG

9vez5c.JPG

I am far far from expert but the caps look ok and also probably modern?

The burnt bit is the daughter board, I don't know its function but it obviously gets hot. Everything works it has that slightly toasty smell of my grandads old radio tinkering shed from when I was a kid.

Hey now from London Gammer's If You Wait has audible distortion at around the 3.20 mark, for instance, and other tracks as well which I will mention when I hear them.

worth noting I guess that I am right on these things

k38mcr.JPG

Which I would imagine was not their intended purpose!

I see some worrying furry corrosion on some of the leads.
I would start by replacing all of those small black colour electrolytics and a few resistors around that Red "KS" label and the orange and yellow wires where the board is charred and the resistors look cracked.

Mr Tech Guy repaired & recapped my M20s last year. Russel is a top chap, ex-Meridian service engineer.

Note: if you deliver your units by car, the road (which is otherwise flat) has a couple of very, very nasty bumps. Watch out for the 20mph speed limit - and do that section at 10 - or you will “ground” bits of the underside

The daughter board is the crossover board and does get a bit toasty, I have not seen a pair that doesn't look like yours after a bit.
audio images in Sheffield repaired my M20's about 10 years ago, most competent electronics shops should be able to sort those.

Rgds
Stuart

I've dropped a note to Mr Tech Guy, this may be beyond my capability. You can smell the lead poisoning on the back of that daughterboard, proper old school!

I see some worrying furry corrosion on some of the leads.
I would start by replacing all of those small black colour electrolytics and a few resistors around that Red "KS" label and the orange and yellow wires where the board is charred and the resistors look cracked.
Out of interest what is the white stuff and why is it a concern? Could I just clean it off or does it hint of something more progressive?

It shows that these boards have been in a damp environment. I am concerned about those stacked plastic (Siemens?) Capacitors, which do get moisture damage

Out of interest what is the white stuff and why is it a concern? Could I just clean it off or does it hint of something more progressive?
Looks like salt corrosion. Do you live near the Sea? It's not good, all needs cleaning with isopropyl alcohol and an old sonicare toothbrush head.

Also looks like those opamps run hot, perhaps try swapping them across and see if the noise moves with them? What are the date stamps on the big blue caps? There should be a week number and a year somewhere

Well I have had them a about 18 months. Neither a damp nor near the sea, thats not to say the other circa 30 years of their life have not been different.

Great thread will be watching for updates.;)

Have a set and really like them,perhaps look at a way to space off the rear plate to let some air in their.

I have one of mine running warmer to touch on the rear..

I just took delivery of a pair of AVI AMD9 from here. I mean its not even close. M2s are out.

advertisement

Back