advertisement

Members' System Information

Yes, the arm is free-standing but the arm base is very heavy and the arm very light. Even so, mine is stuck down with double-sided tape, just in case.

Im a bit lazy to make a list of each item so here it is.

49315442248_8a29025281_c_d.jpg

Main Home Setup

Analogue
Turntable/Tonearm/Cartridge
- Dr. Feickert Woodpecker/Kuzma S12 VTA unipivot/Audio Technica ATH-VM750SH.
Phono Stage – Graham Slee Accession M

Digital
Streamer
- Allo DigiOne Player (BNC SPDIF interface) with Volumio and Allo Shanti Linear Power Supply.
Streaming from Synology NAS, Radio Paradise or Spotify.
DAC - Schiit Gungnir Multibit
CD Player - Yamaha CD-S300 (hooked up to Gungnir via RCA SPDIF - for playing very occasional CDs, usually cover discs from music mags)

Amplification
Pre-amp/DAC
- Burson Audio Conductor V2+ (DAC section used for hooking up TV.)
Power Amp - Burson Audio Timekeeper Virtuoso
Burson is an Australian audio brand - https://www.bursonaudio.com/

Speakers
Magneplanar MG 1.7

Other Gear
Power filter/conditioner - Isotek Polaris and Isotek power cords (The entry level ones)
Analogue cabling - Van Damme XKE for RCA connections, Van Damme 2.5mm2 Hi Fi Speaker cable
NAS Drive - Synology DS212
All of the gear is placed on Ikea Aptitlig bamboo chopping boards for a bit of isolation.

Home Headphone Setup

Source: Allo DigiOne Player (BNC SPDIF interface) with Volumio and iFi iPower.
Streaming from Synology NAS, Radio Paradise or Spotify.
DAC: M2tech Young, powered by Teddy Pardo PSU.
Headphone Amp: Schiit Lyr 2. Replaced stock tubes with Gold Lion 6922's (Bit More Clarity and "air" than stock tubes)
Headphones: Oppo PM-3

Portable Headphone Setup
Source
DAP
- Fiio X5 MkIII, or
Phone – Sony Xperia XZ (for occasional Spotify playback, when on the move)

Headphones
Westone W10 (for the daily train commute),
Etymotic Hf-5 with custom moulds (Only use for air travel. They attenuate a lot more noise, compared against the Westone headphones)
Audio Technica m40x (When I’m sitting at my desk)

My turn - I’m not ashamed of my love of Naim olive gear, it sounds great and looks magnificent in my eyes - and I like things to match! Quite a standard system I suppose but this is it:

Streaming: CDs ripped to FLAC, played on a Win 10 computer through MusicBee player plus a Tidal Premium subscription. This is all fed via USB to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, then via a Flashback Premium cable to the amp (this all works very well for a cheap set up)

CD: Naim CDX

Analogue: Rega Planar 3 (which I have owned from new since 1987) that has had a couple of upgrades (Origin Live counterbalance and wiring, Rega motor) with an Ortofon 520 mkII. I rarely use it these days, but it looks nice.

Amplification/speakers: Naim NAC 102 with NAPSC and HiCap (cabled with separate power/signal cables from Flashback), Naim NAP 180, Naim NACA5, Naim Allaes (in Maple).

On the go: Sony Xperia XZ1 phone, using Neutron to play FLAC through a dragonfly Black DAC into either Flare Jet2 in-ears or KEF M500 on-ears or a UE Boom2 speaker.

I’m very happy with what I have, the only possible next purchase would be an XPS for the CDX if one comes up at an affordable price. I may possibly upgrade the DacMagic, though I don’t really know why - it sounds great!

Analogue

Technics 1210 with Super Revolver Arm/Goldring 1042. (Currently playing)

Well Tempered Versalex with Goldring 1042.

Michell Gyrodec/QC with RB250 and 1042.

Schiit Mani phono (cracking value)

Amps

Exposure 23/28 (now playing)

Naim Nait 5i

Loudspeakers

Jungson ls3/5 copy

Digital

Spotify/Chromecast/Schiit Modi Uber

All sounds pretty 'safe' to me with very few 'oh shit' moments experienced.

1210 has been an eye-opener. 25 years ago, people laughed at my mate who was spinning one of these. Ballsy sound and great timing. We're not laughing now. Paid 200 quid for donor deck and added the arm from an old Revolver deck. Banging VFM.

Gyrodec/QC is 25 years old this summer. The first piece of decent kit I ever bought. I'll own this until I die. (Currently in storage)

Versalex is a very difficult customer. I once had it singing like an angel but after pissing about with the settings I've never got that sound back - Bass disappeared overnight. I'll wait until the house move before I tackle this problem again. (In storage)

Exposure amps have been part of my setup for almost 10 years. Predictable Exposure sound but nowhere near as much fun as my old XX super integrated.

Speakers were bought blind online from China (I work overseas). They look great, sound great (to my cloth ears) but QC is appalling. I had to glue an inductor back onto the X over when I received them.

Crappy room acoustics prevent further upgrades until we move house. In the meantime, I'll continue to dream and read the classifieds.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom