advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael, I’m not going to disagree with the science here, it makes perfect sense, I agree. What I can tell you is after very extensive listening to a wide range of music, for prolonged periods, I stand by my comments and each change in the components I list has brought about the sound improvements I describe.

A thought or two about the new dac.

I plugged it in and turned it on with music playing for four hours whilst I had to go out so it was toasty warm when I got back. I made a Cupid tea and settled back to listen.

In fact I noticed that there is more low level detail straight away. The way strings stop and start is noticeably better and sharper, meaning that anything played with verve by the musicians is so much more realistic.

With orchestral and chamber music I seem to find that there is a greater contrast between the louder and quieter passages so when there is a crescendo, I'm left in no doubt :)

I'm listening to Handel's cello concertos right now and they are as clear and sprightly as a sunny day, with more zest than they've ever had, plus, and most important for me, I can now hear real space between the performers on this good recording.

The separation of players/instruments is the best thing about the change so far and I assume that is what makes the soundstage so realistic.

So top marks for this John, its quite exceptional. Also bear in mind I've been listening to several grands worth of Lexicon dac whilst the M -dac was at yours and it is very good. But there is no comparison.

I could have lived with the lexicon. But not now. The M-dac is so much more believable and better balanced.

On other music, I've not had much time to play much yet, but some of the whispering s in female vocals are now more easily discernible. Whereas before I might have had to listen carefully to make out the words when very hushed, that's no longer the case. They are simply resolved properly.

Now to the not quite so good bit.

On bass heavy, and not so heavy tracks I seem to be finding too much bass, in the sense that it is very, very slightly overpowering the music. But I must say that that has happened on only a couple of tracks.

And also, I think it's so much more likely to be a speaker room thing than the M-dac. I need to listen a good bit more.

Back to the good bit :)

With classical, the bass sections, say the well attacked cello, is much more forward in the best possible sense. I can tell where it is and can easily discern the slightest fret timbre. Much better in that respect. In fact, classical stuff, which is 90% of what I've listened to since I got it back is worth the wait all by itself.

Can't tell you how good this Handel is sounding; blissful, much wider, excellent centre image and life aplenty.

If this is as good as my hifi gets in my life I will not be the slightest bit dissapointed. In fact I am and will be thrilled.

So I'm very much 99% happy and delighted John. And I also think the odd little bass issue may well be sorted in a few days as the caps settle down. And if not then some judicious playing with speaker positions may well be all I need.

Certainly worth the extra cash in my opinion. I'm happy :)

A thought or two about the new dac.

I plugged it in and turned it on with music playing for four hours whilst I had to go out so it was toasty warm when I got back. I made a Cupid tea and settled back to listen.

In fact I noticed that there is more low level detail straight away. The way strings stop and start is noticeably better and sharper, meaning that anything played with verve by the musicians is so much more realistic.

With orchestral and chamber music I seem to find that there is a greater contrast between the louder and quieter passages so when there is a crescendo, I'm left in no doubt :)

I'm listening to Handel's cello concertos right now and they are as clear and sprightly as a sunny day, with more zest than they've ever had, plus, and most important for me, I can now hear real space between the performers on this good recording.

The separation of players/instruments is the best thing about the change so far and I assume that is what makes the soundstage so realistic.

So top marks for this John, its quite exceptional. Also bear in mind I've been listening to several grands worth of Lexicon dac whilst the M -dac was at yours and it is very good. But there is no comparison.

I could have lived with the lexicon. But not now. The M-dac is so much more believable and better balanced.

On other music, I've not had much time to play much yet, but some of the whispering s in female vocals are now more easily discernible. Whereas before I might have had to listen carefully to make out the words when very hushed, that's no longer the case. They are simply resolved properly.

Now to the not quite so good bit.

On bass heavy, and not so heavy tracks I seem to be finding too much bass, in the sense that it is very, very slightly overpowering the music. But I must say that that has happened on only a couple of tracks.

And also, I think it's so much more likely to be a speaker room thing than the M-dac. I need to listen a good bit more.

Back to the good bit :)

With classical, the bass sections, say the well attacked cello, is much more forward in the best possible sense. I can tell where it is and can easily discern the slightest fret timbre. Much better in that respect. In fact, classical stuff, which is 90% of what I've listened to since I got it back is worth the wait all by itself.

Can't tell you how good this Handel is sounding; blissful, much wider, excellent centre image and life aplenty.

If this is as good as my hifi gets in my life I will not be the slightest bit dissapointed. In fact I am and will be thrilled.

So I'm very much 99% happy and delighted John. And I also think the odd little bass issue may well be sorted in a few days as the caps settle down. And if not then some judicious playing with speaker positions may well be all I need.

Certainly worth the extra cash in my opinion. I'm happy :)

The bass issue is likely to be the better dynamics overall of the DAC that are energising your room more. You may need to reposition your speakers. I don't think you are getting more bass specifically, you are getting more of everything dynamically - including bass.

This is a good thing. I know a cure for the unruliness that often accompanies a front-end upgrade that will retain the dynamics, enhance them even, but lose the overhang. I don't think you'll like it though... :eek: :D

Excellent review btw. When mine turns up I am going to post some pics :)

The bass issue is likely to be the better dynamics overall of the DAC are energising your room more. You may need to reposition your speakers. I don't think you are getting more bass specificaly, you are getting more of everything dynamically - including bass.

This is a good thing. I know a cure for the unruliness that often accompanies a front-end upgrade that will retain the dynamics, enhance them even but lose the overhang but I don't think you'll like it... :eek: :D

I'm certain I won't Steve ;)

Ill be playing with the speaker positioning tomorrow and replacing them with the Trios on Tuesday to see what the MDac can do. But in fact this is pretty damn good stuff.

If anyone's considering buying one, then £850 for a multi input dac/pre/headphone amp of this beguiling quality is well worth saving for.

Hi John,

I have Peter Stockwell (regular poster here) coming over from Paris to stay 29th June to 1st July.

I would be really really happy if I were to have my MDAC Level 2 by then. Even more spiffing would be if it had time to burn in too! :) :)

Try the USB input. Might be a bit better, but don't expect it to be night and day. SPDIF input is really well dejittered in the Sabre chip...

Thanks; it's slightly better. But not enough to start using it and loose 24/192 capability

That is interesting as I thought the exact oposite. I do think a bit of burn in is required as well as I have noticed the sound change in the last two days although I'm not too reliable now due to having a cold which is effecting my hearing.

Also thanks: I will give it some more time but I'm beginning to suspect something is wrong

Mikas, Async USB largely eliminates jitter issues that relate to the transfer of the data from source to dac, but that's not all there is to the conversion process. You have noise coming down the wire as well, you can have grounding issues depending on how the source is configured. So there'sa number of reasons why the SoTM 'could ' make a difference, of course expectation bias is one of them.

Also thanks: I will give it some more time but I'm beginning to suspect something is wrong

Your experience seems to be out of line with the other comments, so maybe it needs more burn-in, or maybe there's some local reason we can't guess at, or maybe there's a fault. I'd be quite worried if mine turned out to be as you have described. But I remember that when I had it from new, the MDAC needed quite a few days to be at its best.

- Richard.

I'm with JohanH,

At this very early stage, only 3 days in.....mine.... the bottom end's not quite right yet some how and the mid/ highs a bit suppressed ?... Vocals seem to be 'set back' in the mix 'darkened' / 'veiled' slightly.

Its still very early days and we should give at least 2 weeks before making realistic judgements (Johns swapped out a lot of uF's and this needs time to saturate)

Mikas, Async USB largely eliminates jitter issues that relate to the transfer of the data from source to dac, but that's not all there is to the conversion process. You have noise coming down the wire as well, you can have grounding issues depending on how the source is configured. So there'sa number of reasons why the SoTM 'could ' make a difference, of course expectation bias is one of them.

I am thinking of hooking up my MDAC to my CDQ (ultimately an MTRAN) with this:

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_3&products_id=367

WBT nextgen 0110 connectors may reduce vibration.

Or they may not.

Or the vibration reduction may be of zero benefit.

I will be doing some listening.

I'm with JohanH,

At this very early stage, only 3 days in.....mine.... the bottom end's not quite right yet some how and the mid/ highs a bit suppressed ?... Vocals seem to be 'set back' in the mix 'darkened' / 'veiled' slightly.

Its still very early days and we should give at least 2 weeks before making realistic judgements (Johns swapped out a lot of uF's and this needs time to saturate)

Hello laverda,

I wouldn't describe what I hear as what you're experiencing.
Mine has a kind of harshness that induces listening fatigue.
I've ruled out the source as problem by A/B -ing CD and PC.
You're absolutely right in wanting to give it more time before final judgement....

I'm with JohanH,

Looking forward to your judgement buddy.

Hello laverda,

I wouldn't describe what I hear as what you're experiencing.
Mine has a kind of harshness that induces listening fatigue.
I've ruled out the source as problem by A/B -ing CD and PC.
You're absolutely right in wanting to give it more time before final judgement....

No component in the dac is going to take two minutes to 'burn in' let alone two weeks, you just used to the sound,that's it.
Keith.

I'm with JohanH,

That actually would suit me just fine.
:)
That description is not the first, yet those lucky ones do say they have more detail despite the less forward presentation.
(and that's exactly what I'm looking for)

Michael

Hi John,

I have Peter Stockwell (regular poster here) coming over from Paris to stay 29th June to 1st July.

I would be really really happy if I were to have my MDAC Level 2 by then. Even more spiffing would be if it had time to burn in too! :) :)

Form an orderly queue Steven...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back