advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Audiolab agreed to supply direct. A version of the Bdac casework was there for private viewing for friends and family, John's still working on the contents.

Hey John did you hook up with audio lab around buying new units for the mods?

I am still looking for a good way to get my unit into Czech. Most of the 3rd party sites will allow me to route the return trip from you to uk and on, but I still can't work out the best way get it to you. Martin may be my guy.

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Yes, spoken with Audiolab and we have agreement in place to be able to supply brand new MDAC with upgrades. The only "restriction" being that we do not undercut local retail prices of the basic units.

We can then ship directly to you in the US, but you would be required to pay the import duty etc....

Upgraded MDAC has been on for 24 hours and I'm delighted. A significant improvement and excellent value. Thanks John!

I'm not very good at characterising the improvements in general but here is some feedback based on my recollection of the pre-upgrade MDAC.

Lumineers Hey Ho - Ambiance comes across stronger, ensemble clapping and cues from during the recording are more evident.
Gillian Welch Miss Ohio - Really feel the presence of acoustic guitars, melancholy voice expressed beautifully.
Mazzy Start Five String Serenade - Strings hang in the air and feels more atmospheric, easier to find each stringed instrument, tambourine in particular sounds more realistic.
The White Stripes Seven Nation Army - Bass has real drive and impact, can feel the drums and easier to follow everything when rhythm guitar kicks in.
Amy Winehouse Valerie - More depth and width, voice and electric guitar are right there.
Sandie Thom Punk Rocker - Harmony is clearer with better separation and percussion leaps out.
Regina Spektor Baobabs – The impression of a singer sat at piano come across better, piano sounds fantastic and vocal expression is more apparent.

Win8 PC -> MDAC -> Naim 200\202\HiCap -> Sonus Faber Concertino \ Grado GS1000i

Hi Aaron,

Yes, spoken with Audiolab and we have agreement in place to be able to supply brand new MDAC with upgrades. The only "restriction" being that we do not undercut local retail prices of the basic units.

We can then ship directly to you in the US, but you would be required to pay the import duty etc....

Hi John, that is good news.

How much will the new set with full upgrade cost btw?

Upgraded MDAC has been on for 24 hours and I'm delighted. A significant improvement and excellent value. Thanks John!

I'm not very good at characterising the improvements in general but here is some feedback based on my recollection of the pre-upgrade MDAC.

Lumineers Hey Ho - Ambiance comes across stronger, ensemble clapping and cues from during the recording are more evident.
Gillian Welch Miss Ohio - Really feel the presence of acoustic guitars, melancholy voice expressed beautifully.
Mazzy Start Five String Serenade - Strings hang in the air and feels more atmospheric, easier to find each stringed instrument, tambourine in particular sounds more realistic.
The White Stripes Seven Nation Army - Bass has real drive and impact, can feel the drums and easier to follow everything when rhythm guitar kicks in.
Amy Winehouse Valerie - More depth and width, voice and electric guitar are right there.
Sandie Thom Punk Rocker - Harmony is clearer with better separation and percussion leaps out.
Regina Spektor Baobabs – The impression of a singer sat at piano come across better, piano sounds fantastic and vocal expression is more apparent.

Win8 PC -> MDAC -> Naim 200\202\HiCap -> Sonus Faber Concertino \ Grado GS1000i

Awesome!

We just moved flat's and been renovating. Finally got my dedicated room for speakers and boxes. Been listening to the M-dac as is for the last few days and it is already mightly impressive. Extremely excited to hear these new improvements.

As a long time lurker and MDAC owner I am forced out of lurk-dom by these reviews to join the queue for the MDAC upgrade (Stage 2 – full fat).

JohnW – please sign me up!

ArthurG

Hi John, that is good news.

How much will the new set with full upgrade cost btw?

Hi John - I'm also very interested in the cost of this option (living in New Zealand it's a bit like slow torture reading these reviews knowing that the product is just out of reach). And understand that freight and import costs, etc. would be extra.

Thanks
John T

Hi John - I'm also very interested in the cost of this option (living in New Zealand it's a bit like slow torture reading these reviews knowing that the product is just out of reach). And understand that freight and import costs, etc. would be extra.

Thanks
John T
Hi, Costs are GBP350 excl. Shipment.
Regards

As john said cost will be whatever your local retail is plus upgrade cost. He already explained that he cannot undercut local pricing as part of his deal with IAG.

As john said cost will be whatever your local retail is plus upgrade cost. He already explained that he cannot undercut local pricing as part of his deal with IAG.

Where should I ask for the local retail price then, as different shops will sell mdac at different prices? And is there other tax or custom regulation sending it from Czech out of EU? Thanks.

Where should I ask for the local retail price then, as different shops will sell mdac at different prices? And is there other tax or custom regulation sending it from Czech out of EU? Thanks.

Why don't you ask him privately instead of in an open forum?

I also want to know, I have one on the list for level II upgrade, and I want to buy a new one to be used at another place.

Hi Lapkwan,

The MDAC's UK street price is GBP599 - so I can offer an new MDAC with Level II upgrade for Export sales (outside of Europe) for a combined price of GBP850 (a GBP99 saving to help recover the additional shipping and import duty + local Taxes).

You would have to pay shipping and local import dutys + TAX. The MDAC would be fitted with either a UK or European Mains plug. We have no experience of shipping overseas, so you would have to assume all risks...

For European sales, the package price for a new MDAC is GBP850 (a GBP50 saving).

Thanks
John T

Hi John,

To prevent upsetting EU dealers we have an agreement with IAG that we will not undercut MDAC prices - but we can offer you a GBP100 discount (GBP600 MDAC + GBP250 upgrade) for a package price of GBP850 (this should help with your extra costs of shipping & Duty + Tax)...

Your unit just arrived - I'll restart MDAC upgrades tomorrow - Dominik here in Czech Rep. after Munich so we are using the time to plan our projects for the coming year.

I'll have everyone's MDACs shipped out within the next 2 weeks... I'll process the units in batches of 5....

Once we are down to the last five I'll send out the "invitations" for the next upgrade batches (so within a week or so).

ArthurG, Olivman, downtothebone (Garry), 29mile (Mervyn)

Sorry for the delay, we are still not firing in all cylinders yet.

Added you to the upgrade list, thank you :)

On another subject, a hardened steel and tested Torx T6 bit is on order. It is made in the UK :)

I have ordered just one as a sample.

Hi Steve,

Thank you - the Torx Drivers arrived while we where attending Munich - they do appear tougher then the Torx Bits - yet to try in anger...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back