advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the additional RAM and faster CPU makes it possible to do much more. LMS would run really well on it.

@JohnW - Will the volumio version on the MDAC2 support their plugins? (The Ministreamer doesn't seem to) I'd like to use Squeezelite. LMS would be really good too.

The digital PCB is say 25% to 30% of the MDAC2 cost - when the CM4 is available then we can simply release an upgrade Digital PCB. First MDAC2's will be released before the CM4 I suspect.
Maybe the CM4 will be pin-compatible with CM3.

Maybe the CM4 will be pin-compatible with CM3.
I would expect it requires a new digital PCB. and if you could you would probably only get faster CPU not full 1Gb Ethernet, 4K hdmi 2.0 and USB-3
But it is still an advantage that you can swap to a new PCB and do not have to buy a new DAC like you would with a commercial DAC.

The new SOC used on the RPI 4 is using more power than on 3 that might be a problem. So maybe this is only possible with a new PSU or FDAC.

But that does not really matter now because IMHO first priority is to finish MDAC2 with existing CM3 streamer which buy the way does the job quite well.

So lesson well learnt, don’t jokingly say to your software guy:

"I hope to see the display working tomorrow with “Johns the best + Balloons” on the screen"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fuwrxwacmc3sr6w/lcd3.jpg?dl=0

Well, do you see any Balloons?

Some rather “sick” people around here are suggesting that after the long “patient” wait for the MDAC2 by development sponsors, that this will become the power-up splash screen MDAC2 owners are first greeted with!!!

Back to all seriousness’, the dual frame buffer + LCD configuration (and infact all MDAC2 hardware such as Touch Panel, Front panel Buttons, Rotary encoder, IR sensor, WiFi / BT, RGB Led, Display backlight, system communications Bus etc) have been built into the Kernel.

The next step is to compile Volumio with our custom Kernel and then run twin Lite browsers (One for each display "Channel").

@JohnW - Will the volumio version on the MDAC2 support their plugins? (The Ministreamer doesn't seem to) I'd like to use Squeezelite. LMS would be really good too.

Simon,

We will have MA enable plugins on the Lakewest build, I'll try to make this happen ASAP.

I would expect it requires a new digital PCB. and if you could you would probably only get faster CPU not full 1Gb Ethernet, 4K hdmi 2.0 and USB-3
But it is still an advantage that you can swap to a new PCB and do not have to buy a new DAC like you would with a commercial DAC.

The new SOC used on the RPI 4 is using more power than on 3 that might be a problem. So maybe this is only possible with a new PSU or FDAC.

But that does not really matter now because IMHO first priority is to finish MDAC2 with existing CM3 streamer which buy the way does the job quite well.

Agree on all points, sure we will spin a new digital PCB as a user fit upgrade once the CM4 is available.... think GBP350 or so.... it will allow MDAC2 owners to keep abreast of the latest and greatest developments if they feel inclined :)

Agree on all points, sure we will spin a new digital PCB as a user fit upgrade once the CM4 is available.... think GBP350 or so.... it will allow MDAC2 owners to keep abreast of the latest and greatest developments if they feel inclined :)

John, can we please have an update on the digital/analogue sections of the DAC. This is the area where we have always had the delays and postponements in the past. Last update we had was you saying you could not fit everything on the available space on the boards.

No point admiring the saddle when we don't have the horse yet. :)

We will have MA enable plugins on the Lakewest build, I'll try to make this happen ASAP.

thanks John. I currently run PiCore player, but without wifi/bluetooth or external display. I can't see anyone being able to run anything other than Volumio on the MDAC2, so plugins will be needed for Squeezelite/LMS.

Agree on all points, sure we will spin a new digital PCB as a user fit upgrade once the CM4 is available

This would be great for the Roon people. It could possibly run core as DSP and upsampling wouldn't be needed.

I came across "whatever happened to the likely lads", a blast from the past.... It makes me think of:

Whatever happened to Detox? Also a blast from the past. Oh well, it was only 50 quid - I got away lightly compared to others.

thanks John. I currently run PiCore player, but without wifi/bluetooth or external display. I can't see anyone being able to run anything other than Volumio on the MDAC2, so plugins will be needed for Squeezelite/LMS.
It does have wifi/bluetooth so why do you need external display connected?
You can use a web browser or an App on your phone/tablet.
This would be great for the Roon people. It could possibly run core as DSP and upsampling wouldn't be needed.
It does not matter for Roon integration DSP and or upsampling is done on the Roon Core.
It only matters for extra headroom if you are sending DSD512 or higher.

Wasn't there a prototype? I think it got included in the M-Dac design.
Well....yes an improved version is in DAC design, there was a prototype. We were awaiting the chassis for the standalone Detox so the boards could be stuffed and units paid for in full and sent out. It's not happened. The payments for Detox were for the standalone unit.

John, can we please have an update on the digital/analogue sections of the DAC. This is the area where we have always had the delays and postponements in the past. Last update we had was you saying you could not fit everything on the available space on the boards.

No point admiring the saddle when we don't have the horse yet. :)

Yep, I am not sure why we have an expensive high res screen on the mdac2, the original display is more than adequate, if people wanted a high res interface they could have plugged a monitor into the cm3 module and the rest of us would not end up paying for a very expensive feature we didn’t ask for and don’t need.

Yep, I am not sure why we have an expensive high res screen on the mdac2, the original display is more than adequate, if people wanted a high res interface they could have plugged a monitor into the cm3 module and the rest of us would not end up paying for a very expensive feature we didn’t ask for and don’t need.
Where does it say display in the post you quoted?

Maybe it is better to worry about which option each one of us want until there is at least on option finished to choose from!

Well....yes an improved version is in DAC design, there was a prototype. We were awaiting the chassis for the standalone Detox so the boards could be stuffed and units paid for in full and sent out. It's not happened. The payments for Detox were for the standalone unit.

I also paid the deposit for the Detox. I’m hoping that all the payments for now nonexistent functions (RIAA input, DSP etc) will be bundled into the M-DAC - I’m certainly not going to wait for the F-DAC.

It does have wifi/bluetooth so why do you need external display connected?
You can use a web browser or an App on your phone/tablet.

It doesn't bother me, but wifi doesn't work with PiCore player. Nor does the off switch etc.

It does not matter for Roon integration DSP and or upsampling is done on the Roon Core.
It only matters for extra headroom if you are sending DSD512 or higher.

All I was suggesting was Roon core might run OK on a CM4, unless DSP and upsampling were being used. Save having an external server.

Ah, but no Roon requires a server. And it is x86 only.

But if I where using LMS I would still prefer a separate server which could be on a RPI4.
That way most of the processing is on the server and not the streamer.

I have been pushing MA to improve the user experience of Volumio - pushing for a more intuitive UI :)

Within the next 2 weeks a Beta release of the new UI is planned :-

SF4PlWc.jpg

Mdac can be used, according to the manual, as a USB to Coaxial converter. I tried to use it to connect an Allo Sparky (the RPi-like board of the USBridge) to a benchmark DAC3 using either optical or electrical SPIDF. Unfortunately in both cases the input light on the DAC flashes rapidly, indicating data transmission error. I’m using a Supra USB cable, a Supra coaxial and an Amazon Basics optical cable all of which work perfectly in other configurations. I get barely audible clicks along with the music. Connections are Sparky—USB cable—Mdac—SPIDF—DAC. What could be causing this and what could I do to fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back