advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have perhaps a peripherally related question. I see MDAC plus being offered for sale for a bit over $1k...is there a connection between regular and plus versions? Was JW involved in both or just the original?

I have perhaps a peripherally related question. I see MDAC plus being offered for sale for a bit over $1k...is there a connection between regular and plus versions? Was JW involved in both or just the original?

Pretty confident it was just the original he had involvement in, but you have to assume that it's an evolution from his work and not a total redesign with that name.

John had no part in the PLUS version and has concluded that they've broken some of the bits that made the original good.

A nice review of the ProJect streamer which is base on our MiniStreamer topology and features a ProJect skinned OEM software build.

The Lakewest Ministreamer / MDAC2 streamer use a Lakewest customized build of the OEM software - so the same setup / usage applies. With the MDAC2 integrated streamer section the Inputs / Digital filters etc. can also be selected via the streamer UI.

A nice review of the ProJect streamer which is base on our MiniStreamer topology and features a ProJect skinned OEM software build.

The Lakewest Ministreamer / MDAC2 streamer use a Lakewest customized build of the OEM software - so the same setup / usage applies. With the MDAC2 integrated streamer section the Inputs / Digital filters etc. can also be selected via the streamer UI.

Pity it has no support for Qobuz, and roon is “in progress”.

That is not true, it now also supports Qobuz and Roon also works!

Fair enough. The website is not correct. When you say “supports Qobuz” what do you mean? Is there an app you can use on an iPad to get music to play through the streamer? If so, which app? What else do you need running?

Yes there is an iOS app, which gives you a nice icon you can start it from.
But you can also get the same UI from a browser on a laptop.

I have not tried Qobuz (not a classical fan), but I guess it works just like the Tidal and Spotify integration. Think a bit like LMS.
It also unofficially supports DSD512 from Roon, at least that is what I have been doing the last six month :cool:

Yes there is an iOS app, which gives you a nice icon you can start it from.
But you can also get the same UI from a browser on a laptop.

I have not tried Qobuz (not a classical fan), but I guess it works just like the Tidal and Spotify integration. Think a bit like LMS.
It also unofficially supports DSD512 from Roon, at least that is what I have been doing the last six month :cool:

afaik the Qobuz iOS app just plays on the iPad/iPhone itself. And the laptop app needs you to be at the laptop to control it. I would want to use my iPad to get Qobuz to play through the Project streamer. I can do this with iPeng and my Touch; you can do it with an Auralic streamer with their Lightning stuff. I am still trying to find out how I could do it with this Project streamer.

afaik the Qobuz iOS app just plays on the iPad/iPhone itself. And the laptop app needs you to be at the laptop to control it. I would want to use my iPad to get Qobuz to play through the Project streamer. I can do this with iPeng and my Touch; you can do it with an Auralic streamer with their Lightning stuff. I am still trying to find out how I could do it with this Project streamer.
The pro-ject app is a remote just like iPeng and Auralic Lightning stuff. If you are not using Roon then it is also the server just like the Auralic Aries.

John, are discounts available on the Pro-Ject streamer for your supporters?

Sorry, sadly I don't have a close relationship with ProJect (Its not like it was with the guys at Audiolab UK with the original MDAC release)...

The Ministreamer is available, but numbers are limited as we concentrate our efforts on MDAC2 design goals.

Last edited:
<moderating>

Please keep this thread updated with anything that is relevant to pfm members that have invested in this project. This content needs to be public and not restricted to closed groups.

<moderating>

Please keep this thread updated with anything that is relevant to pfm members that have invested in this project. This content needs to be public and not restricted to closed groups.

Thanks Tony & good call since this is the Forum/Thread used by John Westlake to collect funds by PFM members including myself (£700 where I've managed to recover £480).

Abandoning the PFM members who's been funding his adventure for +5 years is a real shame.

Below is an inaccurate list of PFM members who funded the initial development of MDAC2, 141 + 33 PFM members. A conservative estimate gives 174 * £400 = £69 600 collected from PFM members. Note that the list is old and Detox and Streamer funding is not included.

Pledges to support with monthly installments
  1. pkerai (atleast Toy, maybe Fusion).

2. tunkejazz (New condition salvaged M-DAC unit with Mainboard swapped for Next Generation and Fusion resistors, BLACK)

3. steve-g - Black unit

4. flahutbux - Black unit (Original to MDAC MK2 Toy, incl. DSD and AV bypass)

5. killie9

6. Space is the Place (new condition salvaged MDAC in silver with next gen mainboard and Toy resistors)

7. StephenB (L3 FDAC caps and phono - full Bhuna)

8. DANOFDANGER

9. dtd - new silver unit, fusion + DSD

10. LarsS

11. fred sonnen (black)(2x 9018, 786Fs & DSD support)(Fusion)

12. MajorMajor

13. anjora (new salvaged silver unit, fusion, L3)

14. KevinNZ

15. misterdog (with integrated Cappuccino dispenser)

16. sam_cat (2x Fusion)

17. Akasha (New Condition salvaged silver unit)

18. amershamman

19. GWM

20. AlanH (New Condition salvaged Silver unit, Toy resistors)

21. vincey103

22. MatiasN (New condition salvaged M-DAC unit (black)+ Toy)

23. Bob L (prefer new condition salvaged MDAC in black, if available, with next gen mainboard and toy resistors)

24. lapkwan

25. mavwong (new condition salvaged MDAC in black with next gen mainboard and fusion resistors)

26. moosemeat (MDAC MK2 PCB + Toy)

27. Mikas

28. ArthurG (Orignal unit Black,Mk2 PCB + Toy upgrade)

29. trevjm (+ Toy)

30. clerenlas (next generation mainboard + Toy (just poss Fusion), AV bypass, back panel colour black)

31. mnewbould (New M-DAC unit (black) with Mainboard swapped for Next Generation + Fusion)

32. ducatiman

33. Achim, full Fusion PCB (full package "L3" with DSP and input etc.)

34. Minton (Fusion + Salvaged silver unit)

35. clivew

36. mig

37. Obi1 (New Condition salvaged Silver unit, Fusion Option, resistors shipped to John already)

38. timberline

39. PavelPinkFish

40. Django (MDAC MK2 PCB + Fusion)

41. Manimal

42. rmgalley (Existing silver case, MDAC2 with Fusion option - and later the wide case with CD transport)

43. Valpe (New M-DAC unit (black) with Mainboard swapped for Next Generation + Fusion + AV bypass)

44. Tiberius (new PCB + Toy upgrade)

45. Traf (Mk2 PCB + Toy upgrade - happy to diy swap)

46. mbaudis (new or new condition salvaged unit silver + Toy)

47. jo sharp mdac2 + toy resistors

48. Ben2876 (Fusion MDAC2)

49. Tonyb

50. Trevski220

51. ddenyer + toy

52. justoffjustin

53. hluga (John you got my Toy resistors !! L3 MM/MC)

54. rbroer (Salvaged M-DAC unit with MK2 PCB + Toy)

55. Noddy213 (MDAC Mk2 PCB + Fusion)

56. cjayc DSD Fusion and balanced HP

57. ag66 (MDAC MK2 PCB + Toy)

58. TimR (DSP version + Black salvaged unit +fusion +AV bypass + spare MDAC2 silver back panel, + spare MDAC1 black back panel)

59. Sonic_D (MDAC MK2 PCB + Toy)

60. Shaolin (MDAC MK2 PCB + Toy)

61. rudyv1 (MDAC MK2 PCB + Fusion)

62. Vinz (MDAC MK2 PCB + Toy - Silver)

63. pix (new silver unit + toy)

64. jansen (new salvaged silver mdac2, L3)

65. ChrisPa - mk2 PCB (or reprocessed full unit) + Toy

66. pach1606-mk2 PCB +fusion

67. whitehead

68. adeware (MDAC MK2 PCB + Toy)

69. Boozyuzi

70. ocarolina (salvaged black unit, mk2 pcb + fusion)

71. Dodeth (Toy)

72. haridhos

73. The_Bear (with Toy upgrade)

74. LittleToast (Next Gen mainboard with Fusion option)

75. timow (Next Generation PCB, will decide later between toy or fusion option, original unit black)

76. supersilent (Next Gen mainboard with Fusion option)

77. PeterZ

78. JSSH (mk2 pcb + toy option)

79. ukpd (Black Panel)

80. desp_erado (Black Salvaged MDAC with AV Pass Through + Toy)

81. Asphaltradler

82. cstanpfm (mk2 PCB + fusion)

83. Adaptivemotion (New salvaged silver MDAC + MDAC MK2 PCB + Fusion + two European mains plugs)

84. highfi

85. gugi100 (Salvaged M-DAC unit with MK2 PCB + Toy)

86. rober

87. Roberto

88. myrddin (pcb + fusion)

89. banjoman (Black MDAC - L3 please)

90. 99CZL (Black) Toy (or Fusion, not decided yet) + XLR balanced headphone connection

91. tto (Toy)

92. vanwykca (new silver with mk2 PCB and Toy)

93. Sebbyp Fusion option

94. tomisiv (Black salvaged MDAC2 with Toy)

95. jiminsd

96. rundll32 (Salvaged black mdac, Next gen mobo, AV bypass, Fusion option, self-upgrade)

97. alloja (Next Generation PCB, Toy option, AV bypass, original unit silver)

98. SirBenn21 L2 MDAC2

99. TheRyge

100. stellablues

101. russel

102. Nick1881

103. Radyson

104. Stuart Frazer (PCB + Fusion)

105. JBoy (salvaged black M-DAC unit + Fusion resistor)★

106. giannitom (salvaged black M-DAC unit + Toy resistor)

107. djvitamind (Next Generation mainboard with Fusion option)

108. Wardi23 silver finish

109. greyrab black finish MDAC MK2 PCB + Fusion

110. titepa (Orignal unit Black, MK2 PCB + Toy upgrade)

111. FUSION5 (? resistors)

112. peterzz (salvaged black + Toy resistors)

113. Alavan (MK2 PCB + toy for existing black MDAC)

114. ttier (salvaged 'as new' M-DAC, black, 115V)

115. Rune (PCB + Fusion)

116. Suopermanni (PCB + Toy maybe fusion + DSP)

117. mcai7et2 (PCB + Toy, maybe fusion)

118. carloica (PCB L2) Silver Version

119. bigbuckyball (L3, toy, maybe fusion)

120. koyiz (PCB L3 black)

121. Lowand (PCB + Toy, maybe Fusion)

122. Rosewind (salvaged black MDAC + "L3" version with best sensible Vishay configuration).

123. HifiPicco (salvaged silver MDAC with "german" psu (if possible) + Fusion option, most probable also ... DSP + Bluetooth + Analogue attenuator + ADC)

124. kjelld DSP+ Bluetooth + Analogue attenuator + Hi Performance ADC + Toy

125. sprint (Black MDAC. Most likely Basic unit + DSP + Bluetooth + Analogue attenuator + Hi Performance ADC with Toy/Fusion option to be decided)

126. Eeerni (salvaged MDAC + Toy option)

127. slacktavist (PCB + TOY )

128. Paolo Anziano (L4 Version with Toy/Fusion to be decided. Original black MDAC)

129. Bizxo (L2 version with Toy/Fusion. Original black MDAC)

130. ti33er AVBypass and The very Best Of your Design please - BLACK MDAC2

131. jimsmy (L3)

132. mike9876 L2 maybe L3 options to be decided.

133. stunsworth L2 or L3, probably with Fusion option

134. stefanolo (L2, internal PSU prefered, black, rest depends...)

135. flambeur

136. Kryptonian / Richard Orchard L3 + wifi

137. Neil A (MDAC2 L3 PCB + Toy + Fusion + DSP)

138. rjpcardoso (L2 or L3 + best resistors)

139. toozeup (L3 + wifi)

140. FlipnFill The very best of your design please

141. Timola (MDAC2 L3 with best resistors in the new full size chassis with remote controller)
Level 2 owners getting Next Gen PCB at cost
  1. JTC (L2 Toy to MDAC MK2 "at cost" conversion)

2. Arthur (L2 to MDAC Mk2 "at cost" conversion)

3. PlutoX (Toy to MDAC Mk2 "at cost" conversion)

4. PhilCTTE (Fusion to MDAC Mk2 "at cost" conversion,)

5. JohanH (Fusion to MDAC Mk2 "at cost" conversion)

6. FUSION5 (Fusion to MDAC Mk2 "at cost" conversion, payment in advance possible to fund operation)

7. Joke721 (Toy to MDAC Mk2 "at cost" conversion)

8. MattN (Fusion to L3 MDAC (L2 + ADC) with "at cost" conversion -

9. iansr (Salvaged MDAC required, divert £50 payment for bypass to PCB leaving balance of £75)

10. Malyq (Toy [Fusion] to MDAC Mk2 "at cost" conversion)

11. Akasha (Toy to MDAC Mk2 "at cost" conversion)

12. 00fiete (L2 to L2 MDAC MK2 "at cost" conversion, black unit)

13. EIffel (Toy [Fusion] to MDAC Mk2 "at cost" conversion (Salvaged MDAC (preferably Silver) /new PCB)

14. Sq225917 (Just pcb will home upgrade.)

15. Ale79 (L2 "Multicom" MDAC to FUSION MDAC MK2)

16. jirij (Toy to MDAC Mk2 Toy/Fusion salvaged black MDAC)

17. Richard Kimber (Fusion to MDAC Mk2 Fusion "at cost" conversion)

18. mnewbould (Toy [Fusion] to MDAC Mk2 "at cost" conversion + £50 advance Credit for the MDAC2)

19. travelfotografe (new condition salvaged silver M-DAC, upgrade to "Flagship" spec'ed version :-> )

20. wintoid (Toy to Fusion MDAC Mk2 "at cost" conversion, or possibly salvaged MDAC)

21. JemHayward (will have refurb MDAC (silver, but could change my mind later...) with new pcb, and full fusion spec - analogue input etc.. etc...no compromises!)

22. ajr37 (Fusion to MDAC Mk 2 Fusion)

23. Vaughan (L2 Toy to MDAC MK2 "at cost" conversion)

24. mark.king

25. Steven Toy (L3 Toy to MDAC MK2 "at cost" conversion)

26. Yanntoe (L2 to MDAC MK2, L3 "at cost" conversion)

27. jarip (salvaged silver unit + Toy/Fusion)

28. simonom (L2 Toy to MDAC MK2 "at cost" conversion)

29. pack (Toy to MDAC Mk2 "at cost" conversion)

30. uwe061 (Fusion to MDAC Mk2 "at cost" conversion)

31. rtrt

32. therixonator (Toy to MDAC Mk2 "at cost" conversion)

33. halook

That's a rather innacurate list. The best it says is that various projects have about 150 backers, guessing finances from it will be way off.

So 60 odd grand, that'll just about cover half an oven and half a modest p&p machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back