advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to give the DDA version a try. Standard version for my other two MDACs.

Oh I see, you're just changing your preference (for one at least).

As for me I'm going with the version that John recommends for me (probably the same as you). I'm confident any version will be great sounding and leave the old MDAC in the dust (relegated to another system)...:D:D:D

John has said that once he's happy to roll out, he'll be contacting all of us individually with lots more info and exact costs and options and we can choose then. (no need to send emails...just yet I reckon).

Hey John, I am not sure if my PM has come through? if not, would you mind clearing a space in your inbox?
Cheers, flambeur

John has said that once he's happy to roll out, he'll be contacting all of us individually with lots more info and exact costs and options and we can choose then. (no need to send emails...just yet I reckon).

For that I am waiting.
All this back and forth in the meantime is confusing and also a bit frustrating.

Hopefully we are getting an e-mail or personal message when the new mdac is ready to ship. I don't know what to expect from the new mdac, i sold my mdac years ago.

All i know is that i paid 300GBP 3 years ago and i can use a decent headphone dac, maybe with streamer but it depends what the cost will be. The mdac is welcome but i don't want to spend to much money on it because i run a decent naim system now.

I really don't know what we are going to get, a print plate? A complete new mdac with housing? I am confused but maybe it will soon be clear.

A while ago JohnW said "So the discrete DAC has the better "DAC" section, while the DDA has the better analogue stage.... I suspect there sound signature will appeal to different people."

I don't understand the fine details of how DACs work, but if the discrete version has a better DAC section can't its (discrete?) analogue stage also be designed to improve on that used in the DDA? It seems a shame when John (recently) and so many others have said how good discrete DACs can sound not to try to get the very best from them.

Martin

Hopefully we are getting an e-mail or personal message when the new mdac is ready to ship. I don't know what to expect from the new mdac, i sold my mdac years ago.

All i know is that i paid 300GBP 3 years ago and i can use a decent headphone dac, maybe with streamer but it depends what the cost will be. The mdac is welcome but i don't want to spend to much money on it because i run a decent naim system now.

I really don't know what we are going to get, a print plate? A complete new mdac with housing? I am confused but maybe it will soon be clear.

Jeroengrt,

Yes we will Email everyone before we manufacture the first DAC's - offering them a production slot.

As you say, things will be clarified once we are ready to move forward.

A while ago JohnW said "So the discrete DAC has the better "DAC" section, while the DDA has the better analogue stage.... I suspect there sound signature will appeal to different people."

I don't understand the fine details of how DACs work, but if the discrete version has a better DAC section can't its (discrete?) analogue stage also be designed to improve on that used in the DDA? It seems a shame when John (recently) and so many others have said how good discrete DACs can sound not to try to get the very best from them.

Martin

Martin,

Discrete DAC and DDA will be reserved for FDAC due to space limitations of the MDAC2 chassis and the "need" :) to start shipping a design ASAP :)...

John,
one of the beauties of the whole project for me is to be a part of the progress (mostly passive in my case). Now I am left with very cryptic intimations. Is there no way out?

Best
jansen

Jeroengrt,

Yes we will Email everyone before we manufacture the first DAC's - offering them a production slot.

As you say, things will be clarified once we are ready to move forward.

John,
one of the beauties of the whole project for me is to be a part of the progress (mostly passive in my case). Now I am left with very cryptic intimations. Is there no way out?

Best
jansen

Jansen, just wait 😁

John,

Best
jansen

There is no way out of The Matrix :)

And what about the TDAC ?

The DDA concept has done away with the need for TDAC - so the FDAC will be Reference Quality standalone DAC - Discrete DAC with DDA.

The highest quality "System" will be the VFET Amps fitted with Discrete DAC / DDA as part of the Amplifiers internal gain structure.

Wow - its going to take sometime to get used to this new format - Fusion, how did you edit your profile picture?

Is there anyway to directly goto the last post (to add the link to the favourites bar)?

The white background is very "bright" on my monitor - tiring on my eyes when you try to read the posts...

John,

I didn't change my avatar. Apparently that function is not available yet.

Cereal guy must have been imported from somewhere else. Most likely my Steam profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back