advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul,

Production MDAC2 streamer PCB & DevDAC PCB files are now ready for release to production - we will order the bare boards from China on Monday:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pf7llp7ebg45q1/Streamer A04.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8zhb5g2qpevdhvj/DevDAC A02.jpg?dl=0

The small SPDIF board that connects to the DevDAC PCB adding Optical and SPDIF input:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezpwyw9zk68cs24/DevDAC SPDIF BD.jpg?dl=0

In other news the new stencil printer has been ordered from Germany it will arrive in the next 2 - 4 week, we will have to struggle with the current one until then (its really useless - for sure no BGA's until the new printer arrives).

I've also ordered a BGA rework system so we can rework BGA devices - there seems no escaping having to use BGA as we move forward. The eMMC memory option on the Streamer PCB is BGA. The BGA system weighs 120KG (shipped weight) - I'm going to be fun next week when it arrives...

Earlier this week we also setup a couple of (one new and one used) convection reflow stations to expand our product capabilities. Due to space constraint in the lab, one is setup on an Ikea "TV" table and the other on the floor! We will have to expand the lab space upstairs into the listening area - atleast one bench long top with the speakers moved closer together... If we can manage to work like this for a year or two then we will be in a position to build a larger lab / production space.

I'm Not sure if I should admit to this, but we are so short of space in the lab that we have put the SMD reflow oven into the lab's bathroom (its also a well ventilated space :) )!

Perhaps....before ordering the boards, shouldn't this be the point when everyone is asked what route will they follow regarding mdac2/fdac? If I understood it correctly there will only be one batch of streamers (also for fdac?). If someone misses this order, there is no way in later!

I guess I just wonder whether the streamer is needed for fdac (?) and the following questions for the mdac2 option:
. There are 3 dac options. Is the streamer a requirement for any of them?
. Is the streamer needed for MQA support?
. Can I still sign up tonigh if I decide to join? Would this be my final chance?

I guess I am not alone as a fairly passive reader here, to this long running project. Trying from time to time to keep up with the twists and turns. I an not in the 'angry set', but I think it is fair to say I am confused. Initially I bought into the whole concept of a replacement to the MDAC from John, and believed it would be pretty special (I still do :)). Paying in an initial £100, or was it £200? then the project developed and the idea of an analogue input that could take vinyl input arose, and I paid a further £100 or £200, gosh isn't that bad, I actually can't remember, but it was to be (at the time) the most advanced version planned at that point (a couple of years ago?)

Then FDAC came along and it got very exciting, then the return to MDAC2 concepts seem to have returned, with FDAC much further out.

So help, I would like to switch out my MDAC, I current have a loan Chord Hugo TT, which is good, but it is loan.

I have switched my main source from Squeezebox ecosystem to Roon, with a MacMini as the streamer. I would like to use DSP to correct the room (bad 50Hz node). I reckon I can and will do this in the roon dsp, so up stream of the DAC using Acourate. I am interested in setting up a digital crossover. My speakers are Impulse H2, and reckon they would respond well to a more sophisticated DSP based digital cross over with maybe class D amps to power the 3 drivers. But I am getting off the point of this post.

What I really would appreciate is someone who is following this more closely to advise me what my best option is in the next 6 months (say) based on where John is and is going. Alternatively I may jump to something like a Lynx Hilo which I reckon could deal with the digital cross over aspirations in the future. All thoughts and points of clarification really gratefully received, but please do not use this as a moan about timescales, as that is not constructive and certainly is not the point of this post.

I own an auralic aries mini which is nice but can't play MQA. I like the idea reducing number of hifi maschines. So streamer pcb and later coming mdac2 board seems to be the best option putting in my mdac housing, right?

I own an auralic aries mini which is nice but can't play MQA. I like the idea reducing number of hifi maschines. So streamer pcb and later coming mdac2 board seems to be the best option putting in my mdac housing, right?

Yes that's the idea of the internal streamer + better integration with the DAC.

I guess I just wonder whether the streamer is needed for fdac (?) and the following questions for the mdac2 option:
. There are 3 dac options. Is the streamer a requirement for any of them?
. Is the streamer needed for MQA support?
. Can I still sign up tonigh if I decide to join? Would this be my final chance?

The streamer is required for MDAC2 Descrete and DDA version, and an option on the basic dual ES9028 version.

We will build the streamer PCB's in two batches the first 10pcs. so others can test the design - once everything confirmed OK then we will run a second larger batch of boards.

I guess I am not alone as a fairly passive reader here, to this long running project. Trying from time to time to keep up with the twists and turns. I an not in the 'angry set', but I think it is fair to say I am confused. Initially I bought into the whole concept of a replacement to the MDAC from John, and believed it would be pretty special (I still do :)). Paying in an initial £100, or was it £200? then the project developed and the idea of an analogue input that could take vinyl input arose, and I paid a further £100 or £200, gosh isn't that bad, I actually can't remember, but it was to be (at the time) the most advanced version planned at that point (a couple of years ago?)

Then FDAC came along and it got very exciting, then the return to MDAC2 concepts seem to have returned, with FDAC much further out.

So help, I would like to switch out my MDAC, I current have a loan Chord Hugo TT, which is good, but it is loan.

I have switched my main source from Squeezebox ecosystem to Roon, with a MacMini as the streamer. I would like to use DSP to correct the room (bad 50Hz node). I reckon I can and will do this in the roon dsp, so up stream of the DAC using Acourate. I am interested in setting up a digital crossover. My speakers are Impulse H2, and reckon they would respond well to a more sophisticated DSP based digital cross over with maybe class D amps to power the 3 drivers. But I am getting off the point of this post.

What I really would appreciate is someone who is following this more closely to advise me what my best option is in the next 6 months (say) based on where John is and is going. Alternatively I may jump to something like a Lynx Hilo which I reckon could deal with the digital cross over aspirations in the future. All thoughts and points of clarification really gratefully received, but please do not use this as a moan about timescales, as that is not constructive and certainly is not the point of this post.

David,

I'm about to hit the bed, but I didn't want to think I ignored your post - I believe the MDAC2 DDA version will work well with the revealing inverted domes of your Impulse H2's....

David,

I'm about to hit the bed, but I didn't want to think I ignored your post - I believe the MDAC2 DDA version will work well with the revealing inverted domes of your Impulse H2's....

Thanks John...

Should I drop any light of fancy wrt to Digital Crossover and/or ADC input from Vinyl with the DDA?

Thanks John...

Should I drop any light of fancy wrt to Digital Crossover and/or ADC input from Vinyl with the DDA?

I wondered about this too. John, you mentioned a while-back that you may leave room in the *upgraded* power supply case for a phono stage for those of us who invested in the phono option but have gone for the MDAC2 rather than the FDAC. Could this still be an option?

Also, will the MDAC2 DDA have ADC functionality?

Thanks

The streamer is required for MDAC2 Descrete and DDA version, and an option on the basic dual ES9028 version.

We will build the streamer PCB's in two batches the first 10pcs. so others can test the design - once everything confirmed OK then we will run a second larger batch of boards.

Thank you John, I hope things go well with that first batch!

As far as I know 'DDA' is just a label for the MDAC2 board that will use 4 ES9038Pro DAC chips (with 16 DAC channels) and will be the first MDAC2 version to be released...Actually, after the DevDac and Streamer prototypes/development boards which will pave the way (mostly in software development) to the MDAC2-DDA.

I'm lost.

That's the whole point of this thread isn't it?

It's just the audio forum equivalent of being hopelessly lost in a very complicated maze.

I'm a massive fan of this thread although I have no dog in the fight.

But look on the bright side: it will soon be Christmas.

HarryB, As a fan you should sign up. Imagine the fun you'd have once you have an MDAC2 to listen to, and discuss here. This thread has many years to go yet. Instead of pinging the odd pebble in from afar, get in with us, it's cheap at the price...maybe just go for the Detox, the opening fee is only £50.

Timola, I did consider it for a fleeting moment but I decided that sitting up in the bleachers with popcorn and watching the game unfold was a safer option.

Call me old fashioned if you like but I did a bit of research and bought a Mytek Brooklyn and Bluesound Vault. I now have everything I need and it sounds great.

For pure entertainment and an insight into the human psyche though, this thread is essential reading.

I know, I should get out more.

PS. I might be in the market for these VFET amps but there's a problem. I have no idea what they are ;-) what they do or what century they'll arrive.

PPS Christmas is coming.

And what about the TDAC ?

Good point, I’m on the list for that but I’d pretty much given that up and settled for the FDAC. I’ve pretty much given that up for MDAC2. But which MDAC2???? It’s just too damn hard to follow all of this, I know it’s not John’s intent for it to be that way but I don’t have the time or energy to try. Anyways, it’s a moving target.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back