advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flat out refusing to give refunds hurt this project a lot more, johnW will not gain anything from refusing to pay back the dev-fees i paid for the slave unit(300£).

Why are people here defending clearly unethical conduct by johnW?

The only unethical conduct I see here is by you.

You are essentially trying to blackmail him out of £300 because you are skint.

My sincere and candid advice to you involves sex and travel.

It's 300£ of my heard earned money

I prefer full refund but getting back money i paid for a product johnW isn't developing is reasonable.

I am considering asking paypal to shut down johnW:s account, that will prevent more people from getting burned. I wsill also look into potential legal action, therechas been several successful lawsuits in crowdfunding cases and this could be another one.

I will suggest johnW tries to raise venture capital instead of milking backers of even more money.

I am considering asking paypal to shut down johnW:s account, that will prevent more people from getting burned. I wsill also look into potential legal action, therechas been several successful lawsuits in crowdfunding cases and this could be another one.

It will cost you a lot more than £300 to bring such a case.

Why don't you just ask John if ALL of that money can just go towards the FDAC? Then you will have less to pay in the end?

According to my paypal history i paid a total of 600£ in dev fees, that's a bit strange(second, third and forth dev fee plus slave unit). But i still want john to resolve this mess with devfees and provide refunds when it is appropiate.

Did i forget to pay the first dev fee? i am that lucky?

I would be happy to get an fdac with ess sabre and without tubes but it is better if i buy it via my company for tax reasons.

I agree all of these changes in directions (even reversals) and other project distractions have been very frustrating, but we are all in it and with the PnP machine in sight (1-2 months) we may start seeing some fruit!

John did say the Tubes will be fully bypassable in the FDAC and it's going to be a Reference design... I'd trust him if the Discrete turns out to be better than the ESS chip, but it sounds like these boards may even be modular, so you can swap them if you prefer! :)

Digital audio is vastly superior to vinyl and other lowfi product when done right, the only reason why vinyl sounds better is that it is better mastered sometimes. 16/44.1 may not be transparent all the time but it is still superior to vinyl.

My "belief" is proven to be correct by science but a lot of audiophiles believe they yave golden ears.

I do however believe higher sampling rates are benefitial due to better frequency response https://www.avforums.com/threads/meyer-moran-updated-proof-that-cd-audio-isnt-transparent.1910969/

Studys comparing sample rates are very inconclusive, they have both proven and denied the theory. For something to become scientific fact requires substantial reproducible tests that has had zero failures. Of interesting note comes from the aspect that the general public cannot discern details that more experienced or feild experts can. This details the possibility that creating a reliable blind test to discover unknown truths may never be possible because of this simple reason.

As far as "actual" facts, nyquist shows and is mathematically proven that sampling at twice or more than the highest frequency will produce perfect reconstruction.
Increasing bandwidth beyond the nyquist rate does not do anything except just that, more bandwidth. There are benefits to higher sampling rates but a converter must take advantage of this by sacrificing inband frequencies to relax the digital filter. Most dacs do not.
Although the nyquist theory is the very basis to the development of digital audio, this does not mean it is used perfectly. We are by no means using ideal components to quantify and reproduce real world mechanics. This by itself is possibly digital audios weak point.
It appears that digital filters are the "key" aspects that prevents PCM from being truely lossless. Its understood that time domain errors introduced due to filter deficiencies are the main reasons for the differences between DSD and PCM. But there are some irrefutable facts that point to the idea that this should not be audible. Which i agree. The ringing happens outside of the audible bandwidth and should not have any impact at all. However, we can hear differences between filters which only effect this time domain error. No one i know can provide concrete theorys on why this is the case. But perhaps we do not hold the resources yet to measure these distortions.

also when i have a company i will be able to write off the VAT.

I suggest that before you start your own company you seek the services
of a good accountant.

You cannot 'write off VAT' only offset the VAT on legitimate business purchases against sales.

You have given at least 3 different figures for the development fees you have paid.

Given that some 90% of business start up's fail within the first year, I would think long and hard before going down that route.

Ps. Bruno Putzeys (HYPEX nCore) DAC is fully Discrete and he uses OpAmps in most of his designs!
Which is the n-core dac? I thought the amps were analogue. Rather confusingly output stages which do not have op amps are often called discrete: are op amps now considered a good thing, like linear psu's and vacuum tubes, and cd drives which were not designed for dvds?

I've posted this again because it got lost in the noise...

So basically now - as every-time i try to read this thread i get lost that something else has been added or changed or something, it would surprise me if a flux capacitor has been added, this time round.

I think last time i asked, an MDAC2 board was coming in spring, that just slots into the MDAC chassis that i have?

Fortunately i've not stumped the amount angora has above, anyway then, so basically now is this what's happening...?

1. There is an MDAC2 board that fits into the original MDAC?
2. There is a regulated power supply that makes the above work?

Both will be about £1000, minus any development costs you've already paid?

Is this correct?

When will this be for sale? (obviously spring has come and gone, unless you meant spring 2023).

Might be good to put a very short list what is happening in your signature JohnW so we know whats' coming.

You're welcome! Regarding your other question:

Edit: Please keep in mind that the power supply is mandatory

Thanks for finding that quote, i think that must be from my last question on this thread, yes i realise the power supply is going to be separate because its regulated, but thanks for letting us know it has changed and it's no longer optional.

What DAC is the main board going to use now?

I had a nice chat with the guy from CAD about his approach to digital at the NW Audio show.

Angora i've got an MDAC, thanks for the offer though.

I found out that i did pay the first dev fee.

Total dev fees pail: 700£
salvaged unit: 370£

What about 800 euro? any buyers?

Please johnW provide a full refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back