advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry to trouble you John but a fellow PFM member alerted me to the following
Quote:
Here is info John posted about pmd100 chips. Just in case one you removed is pre-production and suffers power requirements JW mentions.

Quote:
No we beat Keith at his own game (Keith was just one member of a great team at PM) - the first Pink Triangle HDCD filters used Ceramic "first spin" Silicon at US$100 each (or maybe it was US$500 each). The IC's only worked at 256FS clock as PM had underestimated the power requirements of the PM100's internal ROM section. Luckily a simple metal mask was able to correct the issue - the second spin plastic versions where the officially released parts.

I have removed the PMD100 from my PT filter (which was nice and easy as it was slotted) is there a chance that it could be a pre production model and have this power requirement issue?

Hi John(Mr-Mac)

thank you for the pics. My chip is the same as the one with HDCD printed on it, so i guess it's ok?

p.s will PM you later re pricing.

The Pre-Production filters are Ceramic packaged and have "Proto" on the Part ID.

I still have a few Pcs here:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/HDCD Prototypes.JPG

Anyway even if they where Proto devices (unlikely as they where US$500 each) they would still work on the FDAC design as they will be operated at 256fs rate (IIRC you also had to set a 4.6V supply or some such).

I'm going to have a HDCD Proto device in my FDAC as its a little part of audio history :)

Thanks for the clarification JW.
Spare funds have finally allowed Detox project to be joined! 1 more to the production numbers!

Have fun scoobaboy.. Wish I was joining in too but never mind.

Happy with what I have. And doing everything with limited means.

An hdcd filter, optical input and figuring out how to connect/find compatible async to spdif device that will accept a clock lock as 128fs (seen one likely candidate).

Hopefully will leave me with a da-capo, cardinal, a vortexbox bit perfect rip/replay built into a da-capo or cardinal case with an async usb device clock locked to da-capo should keep me happy enough.

On reflection I reckon I shoulda looked at building vortexbox into two ordinal cases for more flexible positioning options but doesnt matter really.

Hope you enjoy the new JohnW dac when it's ready I'll bet it's a superb device :)

Thanks for the clarification JW.
Spare funds have finally allowed Detox project to be joined! 1 more to the production numbers!

For sure - the more the merrier :) - the greater the numbers the better price we get on components :)

We might only make a single production run of the Detox as its pretty costly to build and not cost effective if normal sales margins are added - its too over engineered really... but I'm not one for second best!

Martin,

Yep, Jarek is based in Brno, only 50km from us, but the train is really slow and takes about an hour and half!

I hate driving in Brno as the roads are so confusing and not to mention having to use the D1!

Renata asked if she should reply to you in Czech and I said of course she should (BTW she is half SK :) )

Maybe as your "Local" we can meet oneday when the FDAC is ready - or anytime your near Olomouc :)

John, definitely I`ll take advantage and will pick up FDAC personally. BTW I`m material scientist (light alloys, namely very special Al and MMCs) - if you are in need of any help in this regard I`m more than happy to help you out with FDAC project (expertise, analyses, testing). Moreover, our nice workshop (incl. CNC) can help too.

We might only make a single production run of the Detox as its pretty costly to build and not cost effective if normal sales margins are added - its too over engineered really... but I'm not one for second best!
AH, does that mean I need to either poo or get off the pan then? I've been a bit indecisive about whether I need one of these or not.... mmmm....

Hi Phil,

I'm not sure if I told Renata - Pretty sure I should have, but we will make an extra 10 Pcs or so anyway... You can be sure I'll have unit for you :)

at the risk of sounding greedy can I get a 2nd Detox as my Current Auralic system will be staying with me for the foreseeable future after I take delivery of FDAC and VFET's

I'm not sure if I can stand the shame of saying which was the first single I bought as a kid - "Mirror Mirror" by Dollar... I remember saving my pocket money and being very "adult" by walking all the way to WHS in Streatham (a good hour walk each way) to buy the single...

I can assure you that even if I still had it, it would never be played again!

Oh the shame of it... it really does not bode well for a future "HiFi" designer!

I cannot bare thinking how cheesy they where - oh the Shame shame shame... well I was 10 or 11...

I can trump that!! My first (and I still have it) was Herman's Hermits, I'm in to something good. Ah, those were the days :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back