advertisement

MDAC First Listen (Part 00101010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am new to the forum and just recently and very belatedly found out about the FDAC/Mdac development initiative- I'm in. How do I sign up? Is it though the Lakewest MDAC2 page? Many thanks in advance!

Yes, that is where any signing up is done, but if I were you I would first get confirmation from John that he really does still have places left. Alternatively, see my response to downtothebone above.

BobL ...keep the faith.
The ethos of this process has been a compromise of timescales and the end result. What we will get is something very special that you could not get from the normal retail channels for anywhere near the discounted asking price.

I agree entirely about the FDAC being very special, and I will watch developments with interest.

Thanks for the encouraging noises but, when you have a) retired, b) downsized, and c) the next downsize will be a nursing home or a box, how things fit in a small space is significant; I don't have room for it.

Enjoyed all the music recommended above, thanks! Its all new to me and I love it! Tedeschi Trucks Band and Kenny Wayne Shepherd....seems blues rock with great performances and top musicians is back (if it ever went away). The guitar work comes from the way down deep depths of the soul....such a release after a hard days work. CHEERS! :)

Sold my donor MDAC so I'm all in :)

A wee suggestion, but is there anyone who might be able to keep that wiki page updated with the latest developments, so that I don't have to keep checking in on this thread? I keep missing things :(

JohnW any update on the TDAC and VFETs? How is the analogue board progressing?
Are we still aiming for a Christmas delivery?

Can't wait! ;)

The next big JohnW development.. Already "have" a dac, a cdp and an amplifier obviously JohnW is preparing to develop some reference speakers next! :D:D

John

Any news on the FDAC case? I seem to remember you were expecting a response from China by about now. Or have I missed it amid all the recent USB discussions...

A wee suggestion, but is there anyone who might be able to keep that wiki page updated with the latest developments, so that I don't have to keep checking in on this thread? I keep missing things :(

OK, I'll bite. How do I get to (link?) the wiki page?

When I subscribed to the MDac2 project I expected to keep the nice small MDac housing as 'audio center'. I recently built a pair of ncores which stand next to the loudspeakers, the little MDac - fed by a fanless low-energy netbook with external USB drive - being now the only trace of hifi tower.
Now it seems we get back to 19 inch hifi again with FDac. Where does the Detox fit in there? I can't find descriptions of it any more. I expect it will need its own power? So do we get 2 power supplies for FDac and Detox?

John,

The terribly outdated webpage is due for a complete refresh as soon as we have the final renderings of the FDAC chassis. I hope to have the final renderings for both the FDAC and VFET amps within the next 2 weeks - they are actively "works in progress", I'm having daily conversions with the mechanical designer.

JohnW any update on the TDAC and VFETs? How is the analogue board progressing?
Are we still aiming for a Christmas delivery?

Can't wait! ;)

TDAC not in consideration at the moment - the FDAC with MOSFETS used on the analogue input stage alleviates my concern about RF tolerance so there will now be a much smaller "sonic" gap between the FDAC & TDAC so the TDAC is not so pressing.

The FDAC analogue PCB is scheduled for release in October, and so are the drawings for the FDAC / VFET chassis prototypes.

With so much coming together all at once its currently a very busy time for me hence my absence from PFM these past few days - just not enough minutes in the day!

I think you will be VERY pleased with the VFET + FDAC chassis design, espically the VFET amp with its substantial CNC'ed chassis :)

The next big JohnW development.. Already "have" a dac, a cdp and an amplifier obviously JohnW is preparing to develop some reference speakers next! :D:D

Only if I could source decent ESL speaker panels - my dream would be some kind of tie-up with Martin Logan.

John

Any news on the FDAC case? I seem to remember you were expecting a response from China by about now. Or have I missed it amid all the recent USB discussions...

FDAC chassis pricing from the first vendor was very good - but I really worry about there quality so I've decided to work with my preferred vendor even though there is a US$20 cost premium. Good news is that it will be within budget - so we are now working on the fine details of the Chassis design / completing the renderings etc.

I hope to have our Website updated with the new FDAC renderings within the next 2 - 3weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back