advertisement

MDAC First Listen (Part 00101010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could benefit from multiple USB inputs

(I'd use a second one if I had it now. Otherwise I'm currently looking for a suitable USB to spdif convertor)

What multiple usb sources do people have? Can only think of two , SBT with mod and any computer source. Not sure why you would want two ?

Hi LarsS

Are you able to be specific about what your distaste in nc400 is/was ...of course it's a personal thing at the end of the day, but nice to know what you did/didn't like! :)

My short list is nc400 (possibly BiAmp solution), Job-225 or Job-250 Monoblocks, or John's 8200MB (or later a Westlake designed alternative to VFET)!

Of course I would prefer to support Mr Westlake where I can, but I don't want to upgrading amps again in the very near future if I can help it.

Thanks

Hi,

I wouldn't put it as distaste, Class D is just not my cup of tea. Even my brothers Devialet doesn't make it for me personally.
My only advice is to listen in a familiar environment/system and then go for whatever you like best.

Fab! Problem solved, the amps will be XLR - next question ( a bit rhetorical) do I go for your modified 8200s or Ncore power amps ??????? :)

Oh BTW am I correct to presume the bypass will be passive and not buffered?

You should both so that you can then tell us how they compare 😉

Hi,

I wouldn't put it as distaste, Class D is just not my cup of tea. Even my brothers Devialet doesn't make it for me personally.
My only advice is to listen in a familiar environment/system and then go for whatever you like best.

Thanks LarsS ...what does Class D not do for you, am interested to know. Others say NCore adds nothing nor subtracts anything so you are hearing your DAC only!?

I have nowhere to demo/hear nCore neither JOB ...I know what the Tag 250MR sounds like; it is good but a little bright/metallic like John states, by default

Thanks LarsS ...what does Class D not do for you, am interested to know. Others say NCore adds nothing nor subtracts anything so you are hearing your DAC only!?

I have nowhere to demo/hear nCore neither JOB ...I know what the Tag 250MR sounds like; it is good but a little bright/metallic like John states, by default

Sorry ti33er, the Class D pros/cons debate is something I'd like to stay away from. I do understand those that advocate Class D and why they do so.

What multiple usb sources do people have? Can only think of two , SBT with mod and any computer source. Not sure why you would want two ?

HTPC: Video & music playback
Squeezebox: Music playback with tablet as control unit

Hi JohnW, Excellent post on the Linear PSU versus the Regen SMPS...alarmingly clear, even to a novice like me.

I think BobL knew this from just listening to the difference....I would say BobL has the ears required for an excellent Beta-tester for FDAC and DETOX....should he wish to accept the mission of course.

I personally would value his opinion (like yours) :)

Well thanks for the compliment, but I'm not the only one to find that with the SMPS the Regen would do very little to the SQ from an MDAC. Presumably that hideous noise spectrum is wiping out most or all of any potential benefit, and the very big LPS improvement which I found is allowing that benefit to come through.

I'm very pleased to see John's measurements, but there is still a big question as to why most DACs are much less bothered. The majority of users have reported big improvements with the SMPS-powered Regen, and some users suggest that the effect of changing to an LPS is relatively small.

I should throw in a reminder that I am not continuing with the FDAC project, so any DETOX testing I can do will be MDAC related only. If anybody wants to join in FDAC to replace me, please pm me.

Bob

Ah HTPC , forgot about those ...with all these app based TV,s and Blu Ray players whats their role these days

I could benefit from multiple USB inputs

(I'd use a second one if I had it now. Otherwise I'm currently looking for a suitable USB to spdif convertor)

Chris,

I could add a USB switch to select between 2 USB ports, but in practice this is a bad option as the two USB devices would constantly need to re-enumerate as the inputs are cycled...

Better to have a USB to SPDIF converter but then you loose the "True" Async USB operation.

Well thanks for the compliment, but I'm not the only one to find that with the SMPS the Regen would do very little to the SQ from an MDAC. Presumably that hideous noise spectrum is wiping out most or all of any potential benefit, and the very big LPS improvement which I found is allowing that benefit to come through.

I'm very pleased to see John's measurements, but there is still a big question as to why most DACs are much less bothered. The majority of users have reported big improvements with the SMPS-powered Regen, and some users suggest that the effect of changing to an LPS is relatively small.

Bob

Bob,

I've had private messages from those who also find the same - that the ReGen + SMPS sounds worst in there system:-

• More extended and resolving highs
• Hissy and brash character, Clinical, somewhat antiseptic presentation

However have reported a decent improvement with a Linear PSU, and some who are not MDAC owners so your not alone.

Its my experience that RF can result in a brighter sound so could explain "More extended and resolving highs" but then it also adds hardness, digital edgeness and sibilance so could explain "Hissy and brash character, Clinical, somewhat antiseptic presentation"....

I'm not surprised about these observations as I have often encountered the same with SMPS & RF noisy digital products etc...

I might be interested in 8 units

Edit: If the full mod turns out nice ;)

If the mods workout well, then yes no problem to supply 8 silver amps :)...

It would be helpful as I need to turn these 8200MB:s back into cash to pay for the new VFET chassis... they are not cheap at about GBP500 each!!!! ouch ouch ouch...

Chris,

I could add a USB switch to select between 2 USB ports, but in practice this is a bad option as the two USB devices would constantly need to re-enumerate as the inputs are cycled...

Better to have a USB to SPDIF converter but then you loose the "True" Async USB operation.

USB switch. You've got me thinking.

There are loads of USB switches. What will they do to the signal?
Source device -> switch -> detox -> DAC
The detox should keep the input signals clean
It'd have to be manually switched - that would be the but that's difficult to explain to the rest of the family.

(I'm quite interested in a decent (but not overinflated priced) USB -> spdif conveyor in any case)
(Too many distractions. I've got to sort out/complete new hall/bath/shower room/central heating before Christmas, as well as the day job)

FYI: There are several "automatic USB switches", but those often depend on specific device types - ie. a printer.

There could be 2 USB ports always active, able to playback at the same time, with the actual DAC input being switchable like it's now (USB1, USB2, COAX1, COAX2, etc.). The problem is that this would require additional logic on the digital board (another MCU?), which probably isn't worth it.

Oh BTW am I correct to presume the bypass will be passive and not buffered?
IIRC that's correct - the "AV bypass" is just a direct connection between the inputs and the outputs, able to work even while the FDAC is powered off. With the room correction options, I'm not sure if that's what I would want in your place - doing ADC->EQ->DAC (if supported) might be a better option.

Bob

This is the bit that still leaves me unsure about these products and also what the DETOX will achieve?

Whilst the removal of all the nasty artifacts that have been noted and measured via the USB ports, the products evaluated and their power supplies is clearly desirable from a technical/practicable view due to the impact they may have on the audio domain there are clearly many who have reported significant improvements in SQ despite their presence?

Audiostream just posted a second opinion on the Jitterbug & Regen USB RFI cleaners previously reviewed. Unsurprisingly he agrees with the previous reviewer. Synopsis - SMPS + Regen very good; Linear PSU + Regen, even better; Regen + 2 x Jitterbug best of all (better soundstage and lower background noise). These devices improve the sound, but are not as significant as purchasing new speakers or amplification.

I wonder what JW will find once he gets his reference system set up for a listening test ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back