advertisement

MDAC First Listen (Part 00101010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, looks like the Regen on it's own gives a better signal?

Its a hard judgement call as from the eye pattern there is little difference, for RF filtering a spectrum analyser would reveal more - but I can think of better ways to spend GBP40 - GBP50 pounds...

When designing a product GBP40 to GBP50 buys a lot of components - or using extra Vishay Bulk foils etc.

Its a hard judgement call as from the eye pattern there is little difference, for RF filtering a spectrum analyser would reveal more - but I can think of better ways to spend GBP40 - GBP50 pounds...

When designing a product GBP40 to GBP50 buys a lot of components - or using extra Vishay Bulk foils etc.

It looks to me like the JB applies a LPF on the signal. Yes, I too can think of better ways to spend that money

John, I'm still faithfull to the 'light' so, no DETOX for me.
USB is good for maintenance.
:D

Michael

Yes I remember now :) gosh I could not believe I would have sold you the MPWR even when so heavily modified to drive a pair of ElectroMotions!

The ElectroMotions are a really really nice speaker, I'd happily have a pair for myself! I purchased a set from the US a while back, but then the shipper realised the shipping costs to the Czech Rep. he backed out of the deal!

I managed to buy a used pair of Accustats (about the same size as the ElectroMotions - but they are not as nice looking and I have no idea how they sound - but I'll try the modified MB's on these first (It be a great if I could add the miniature tube in the MB front end, this would work very well with the RF generated by digital products) :)

Keen to get the Detox and FDAC PCB issued so I can play with the amps - I'm so looking forward to listening to a high quality system once again...

Yes, the purchase of the EMs was a consequence of your recommendation approx. one year ago - many thanks for that, as these are the best speakers I owned to date :) I'm so curious how they will sing when they get adequate power amps (hopefully with the miniature tube...) + FDAC + Detox - really looking forward to that :)

I think I've missed this, but is there any sub outputs or line level outputs available, or would that be one of those things everyone was talking about having slave DACs for?

Sorry for not paying attention to this one!

I think I've missed this, but is there any sub outputs or line level outputs available, or would that be one of those things everyone was talking about having slave DACs for?

Sorry for not paying attention to this one!

Sibbers,

Are you referring to the FDAC? theres XLR + RCA outputs like the MDAC - or "later" we can release software version that process the LF channel and output via SPDIF if you have a sub-woofer with digital input.

For the Detox clock link we will have to release updated MDAC software that outputs the required 12MHz on the optical clock output.

We have the concern that any modifications to the software will change the sound quality (its a bad reflection upon the design that this happens) - I have an updated V0.90 with the modified clock mode - we haven't even changed the version number to reduce the number of code changes. We are just a little paranoid not to degrade the software sound quality - I'm very "protective" over V0.90 software as to me its the best sounding - and its been my "reference" since the days of the inital MDAC prototypes.

Once I've listened to the Detox V0.90 (I have to first setup my reference audio system above the lab) - then I can release it to a select few who use V0.90 to insure we haven't degraded the sound quality. As we haven't changed the Version number, we have to be very careful about a full "public" release as it can cause much confusion.

For the Detox clock link we will have to release updated MDAC software that outputs the required 12MHz on the optical clock output.

I was wondering for ages how this was going to be possible, wasnt even aware this could be done via firmware. My brain is relieved.

We have the concern that any modifications to the software will change the sound quality (its a bad reflection upon the design that this happens) - I have an updated V0.90 with the modified clock mode - we haven't even changed the version number to reduce the number of code changes. We are just a little paranoid not to degrade the software sound quality - I'm very "protective" over V0.90 software as to me its the best sounding - and its been my "reference" since the days of the inital MDAC prototypes.

Once I've listened to the Detox V0.90 (I have to first setup my reference audio system above the lab) - then I can release it to a select few who use V0.90 to insure we haven't degraded the sound quality. As we haven't changed the Version number, we have to be very careful about a full "public" release as it can cause much confusion.

Is it possible to get a later version aswell? I would like to keep the screen saver in my secondary system. I have some usecases which require a synchronous usb connction which can result in a constantly flapping bit depth due to the windows limiter.

I think others may need the jitter rejection setting for some of their sources.

John,

As one of the Neanderthals who uses nothing but V0.90, I am very pleased that you are being so careful. I will be happy to try this out and compare with my cascaded Regens. However, you should also have a few testers with younger ears than mine.

Bob

Sibbers,

Are you referring to the FDAC? theres XLR + RCA outputs like the MDAC - or "later" we can release software version that process the LF channel and output via SPDIF if you have a sub-woofer with digital input.

Yeah, FDAC. I have a stereo amp with no line or digital outputs for a sub, and now I've started considering getting a sub I've noticed most don't seem to have high level speaker inputs anymore.

Mind you, it's occurred to me that the DAC can't fix my problem as the volume is controlled by the amp. Dang. Oh well, I should start looking at sub with speaker line input I guess.

Move along, nothing to see!

Paul,

I've never seen a TAG250 - so cannot comment, but I can say there is just noway a significantly physically larger transformer can be squeezed into the IAG 8200MB design.

Going from 380VA to 650VA is a big jump, and you simply cannot get such an increase in power unless you increase the size of the transformer - and as you can see from the earlier posted pictures there is no space within the IAG chassis - its packed to the limit...

I'd not read too much into the copper thickness, what counts is the core size... With increased copper prices thermal limits are pushed by transformer vendors - but in rather simplistic terms its the core size that really matters.

Hi John

Thanks for the reply

Still investigating this conundrum - I only have Tag100X5R type amplifiers left (and some 60P amplifiers akin to 8000P in many ways) and got my spare module down from the ceiling this morning.

I measure this transformer at 115mm x 50mm and trying to attach the images thereof, which for this 100R amplifier they don't spec the vA frustratingly :-(

The 250MR modules were same height but thicker, around 115mm x 75-80mm, hoping someone else can verify this?

Not meaning to put others off your 8200MB as that is a fantastic price and good nonetheless and you will make them sing for sure, but my PL200 love current (apparently) and most people declare good Valve amplification is required ...so VFET would be my first choice naturally, but that could end in Marital Counselling.

I need to buy right this season

Best regards

[edit - I am unable to upload the pictures I took here...can only do URL link it seems]

Is it possible to get a later version aswell? I would like to keep the screen saver in my secondary system. I have some usecases which require a synchronous usb connction which can result in a constantly flapping bit depth due to the windows limiter.

I think others may need the jitter rejection setting for some of their sources.

Yes, we also plan to release Detox software versions of V0.96, A.08 and A0.10 - the initial V0.90 is for my internal testing as its my reference and the only version I use :)

why is there so many post on the audiolab dac? i always see it at the top

1. It's an excellent DAC.
2. The designer is a very active, and helpful, member of this forum.
3. There's a crowd funded replacement that promises to be a state of the art DAC.

It's also a form of schooling for some of us who know nowt about digical audio trickery :p

Unfortunatly the schooling is pretty holistic to me, details are still obscure for my small technical understanding. But it's challenging, even though for me it's more about music than about bits, rf and jitters :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back