advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nutron,

Its important that the MDAC2 be clock master in any multi-channel application (USB Async is Clock Master), that's why we will release an update to the Vanity design that Dominik designed many years ago that will enable external clocking of the player via the MDAC2's master clock.

To be honest, USB2 via a PC is just easier :)

Thanks John, I remember you told me, that Dominik once designed the Vanity board. Good to know there will be an updated version. Any idea when that could happen?

USB via PC is a very versatile solution, but there were some serious issues to overcome, getting all the software and dependencies right was not easy, at least for me ;) So having a standalone player with such a board would be top-notch! :)

USB 2.0 is ok, but lately there has been some USB audio DPC problems. I upgraded my PC and took a while to get things running smoothly again.

I thought these kind of problems were in the past, but it does not seem so. Anyways, it's kinda weird that some devices work without any problems, and some don't and some motherboards are better than others. I did not even consider such things when choosing my mobo.

MDAC with USB worked ok with this motherboard, most of the time, but once in a while had USB buffering problems. It is sad, if they have somehow broken the USB 2.0 interface (or the timers or dma stuff, i don't know exactly) while aiming for higher performance.

However, I ordered this little device which seems to have cured all my audio problems with my current computer (MSI X99S XPower AC, Intel 5820K @ 4.4GHz, 16GB DDR4 @ XMP 2666MHz). It has DSD support too. However, i hope the MDAC 2 USB interface works ok with this and future PCs as well.

http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/smsl-x...rter-dac-dsd-iis-digital-audio-interface.html

Apparently the Kanex Pro supports 2CH SPDIF output to 192 kHz - the only problem with the unit is that it defaults to 5.1ch and the selector button is "Soft" ie momentary so that you have to press the button each time you power-up the unit to select 2ch Stereo mode - which is a shame.
2ch mode appears to be limited to 48hz but 5.1 outputs 24-bit 192hz as long as this is what's being fed. Using 5.1 mode does not change discrete stereo output in any way. I don't think i've ever had a need to select 2ch mode.

However, I ordered this little device which seems to have cured all my audio problems with my current computer (MSI X99S XPower AC, Intel 5820K @ 4.4GHz, 16GB DDR4 @ XMP 2666MHz). It has DSD support too. However, i hope the MDAC 2 USB interface works ok with this and future PCs as well.

http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/smsl-x...rter-dac-dsd-iis-digital-audio-interface.html

That looks interesting. I wonder how it compares to a gusrtard u12
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=261596415436

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That looks interesting. I wonder how it compares to a gusrtard u12
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=261596415436

Chris,

Concerning the SMSL X-USB XMOS USB to Spdif Converter DAC DSD IIS Digital Audio Interface (and also the Gustarrd unit, ignoring my comments on THD spec.)

I was almost going to buy it to test the XMOS solution, unit I realised that the Device is Clock Master, not the DAC section - WHEN are people going to realise a that ASync USB is pretty pointless unless the itself DAC is Clock MASTER and not the USB chip!

So many company's claim ASync USB then after a closer look you just see the XMOS Evaluation / application circuit with the two discrete clock modules surround the XMOS device and the DAC nowhere in sight!

It still might be worth me purchasing the solution to get to grips with how DSD is supported under windows....

I have no idea why they are claiming a THD spec as the units digital only?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Chris,

Concerning the SMSL X-USB XMOS USB to Spdif Converter DAC DSD IIS Digital Audio Interface (and also the Gustarrd unit, ignoring my comments on THD spec.)

I was almost going to buy it to test the XMOS solution, unit I realised that the Device is Clock Master, not the DAC section - WHEN are people going to realise a that ASync USB is pretty pointless unless the itself DAC is Clock MASTER and not the USB chip!

So many company's claim ASync USB then after a closer look you just see the XMOS Evaluation / application circuit with the two discrete clock modules surround the XMOS device and the DAC nowhere in sight!

It still might be worth me purchasing the solution to get to grips with how DSD is supported under windows....

I have no idea why they are claiming a THD spec as the units digital only?

I had to read that a couple of times to work out what you were objecting to. I'm interested in it because I have 2 USB sources (a PC and a Joggler running squeezeos) and only 1 USB input, so I'd like a high-quality-but-dirt-cheap USB to spdif convertor :)

But I take it your point is about the DSD and i2s outputs, which should be under the control of the DAC. I hadn't spotted that

I did however spot the distortion spec and also decided it was best to ignore it :)

Me too... I'm a "Toy" owner, so should be starting payments around now, but was waiting for an invoice, in case ad-hoc payments caused confusion at John & Renata's end of things.
Happy to pay ad-hoc - if someone can tell me how much, as its payday tomorrow!

Hawtin, Jem,

Thank you for your concerns - basically I need to priorities my time / work.

As many people have sent there forth stage 4 payment ahead of the officail request, this has allowed me to just keep my head down working on the MDAC2 / VFET projects, when I reach the stage that I can take a break from these, then I'll spend time with the "official" request.

For me, I just want to issue the first Spin of the VFET amplifier current dumping output stage PCB and have some results from the MDAC2 PCB before I worry about any remaining 4th installments.

I'm trying to put together the Phase noise test system for the MDAC2 PCB - and this is the type of thing I'm battling!

"Thank you for your purchase. We appriciate your business. I am very sorry to contact you with this information. We took two items to FedEx store to package. And ship for us. One was yours and another for a different customer. Shipping store mixed up shipping labels. Your item went to a USA address and their item was shipped to you. So, when you recieve the item it is not going to be the item you purchased. I am very sorry about that and I apologize for the inconvenience. The other customer has your item and we can ship it to you if you send us your address. Would you be able to ship the wrong item back to us? We will pay for shipping. Please let me know."

Just so typical - but what can I do!!! :( :mad: :(

Apparently I have a 30Kg Unit (some type of Compressor), that I'll have to pay customs duty on, only to reship it back to the US!!! and no sight of the unit required for my Phase noise measurement set-up (which I'll have to pay import duty on again)!

I just don't have the time as it is and this just does not help! I guess its just par of the coarse! - Oh well!

John, I'm still awaiting an email re: the first of the 'at cost' payments - any timescale on when this will be sent out?

JohnW,

Thank you for the info. It probably gets frustrating having to repeat yourself all the time so thank you again for getting time to answer. Maybe i'll just go and also just make the payment so i can forget about waiting that request :)

Hi JohnW & everyone
I am on the list for the MDAC2 (with a savaged unit).

The reason why I jumped in the project is that I have never been satisfied with my Naim system. I truly cannot stand treeble glare. Somehow, Naims amps are perceived as "rolled-off" in the upper end, but mine has always a metallic behaviour that I cannot take any longer. Not sure why this is the case or if this is my personal paranoia, but it became even more clear to me after a few weeks listening to music through headphones, which do not suffer from the same problem. The Naim must go, ans the sooner the better.

I guess this question has been asked before, but I searching in this monster thread is worthless. What power amp would you recommend for a future use with the MDAC2? I cannot afford the VFET amp. Are the MIMPS/MAMPS projects still on the table? I just want a fun amp with a sweet upper end.

JohnW,

Thank you for the info. It probably gets frustrating having to repeat yourself all the time so thank you again for getting time to answer. Maybe i'll just go and also just make the payment so i can forget about waiting that request :)

Hawtin,

No problem at all, thank you for your patience with me while I engineer and develop the MDAC2 :)

tunkejazz,

Yes sadly the VFET amplifiers are an expensive project, but they are design to be the best...

I'd like to design a more affordable design, but I hate to compromise and I cannot see at this time how to meet the performance of the VFET design.

I'm hoping that the development of the VFET amplifier will give help in designing a lower cost unit.

The problem with amplifiers is that once you have factored the cost of a correctly designed the PSU, Chassis / Heatsink and output devices its hard to design a "Budget version", as any cost saving would be a compromise.

tunkejazz,

Yes sadly the VFET amplifiers are an expensive project, but they are design to be the best...

I'd like to design a more affordable design, but I hate to compromise and I cannot see at this time how to meet the performance of the VFET design.

I'm hoping that the development of the VFET amplifier will give help in designing a lower cost unit.

The problem with amplifiers is that once you have factored the cost of a correctly designed the PSU, Chassis / Heatsink and output devices its hard to design a "Budget version", as any cost saving would be a compromise.
Not everyone needs to amp big electrostatics. :)
Having a ~20kg (?) monoblock for a 3-5kg bookshelf seems like an overkill - which is I guess why people are interested in the 50W/50W stereo "MIMP" amplifiers. There's really not much on the market in terms of balanced-in balanced-out (to speakers), with decent design and components, not mentioning the modified current dumping topology, possible volume control from MDAC, ..., in a ~ sub-$1000 category.

I realize that perhaps a naive scale-down in terms of output power wouldn't reduce the cost by much, but whatever compromises you make, it can still be miles better than what's available. :)

Although I agree it's more motivating to design something you yourself have a use for. Perhaps a bedroom system using the small lab speakers? :D

Hehe I did not dare to suggest that John would make a scaled down version of the vfet amp, although I would probably jump on anything he designs that I can afford. But otherwise, is there a serious alternative on the market below 1000£?

Regarding "balanced-in balanced-out" amps: How do I find out which amps do this?

I am using two Restek Event power amps - they have balanced inputs but I guess the units are not that kind of balanced.
However, I am thinking: The manual says that for each channel, there is one "active" and one "passive" output connector. In bridged mono mode (which I am using), one uses one stereo amp to power a channel and needs to attach the + and - cable end of one channel to the two "active" connectors of the amp.

Am I on the wrong track here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back