advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ian,

As the MDAC2 PCB has been completed, I'm going to work on the VFET amplifier today :) Its nice to work on a different project for awhile :)

So far as I understand it the L2 has analogue by-pass, so you have no volume control if you go that way. The adc means you get digital volume control; as John says, you need L3.
Thanks Bob, I missed this reply it would have answered my later question

With MDAC2 L3 you can use a Phono Pre-amplifier connected to the ADC input and use the MDAC2's digital Volume control.

Looks like I'll be wanting level 3 then, as I don't particularly want another box just for volume!

Ian,

As the MDAC2 PCB has been completed, I'm going to work on the VFET amplifier today :) Its nice to work on a different project for awhile :)

John
I'm really excited about the MDAC2, but I'm REALLY REALLY excited about the VFET amps 😃
I've ordered the ER Audio ESL kit and should have it in a few weeks. If all these bits of kit are only even half as good as I'm expecting I'm still going to have one hell of a system.

Ian,

I'm also VERY interested in how the build will go! :)

I bought some very cheap China Built Acustats!!!, the price was REALLY cheap so I tock a gamble - They cost lessthen cheap box speakers so even if they aren't the best I can use them in the Lab - for sure they will be better then the small boxes I currently use...

I wonder how my Martin Logans Aeons have faired there shipment and storage from China.

Yes I'll probably do that. Owner feedback on the Acorns seems to be universally extremely positive with even one report of them being even better than the ML CLX. There are some technical reasons why they should be up there with the very best ESLs. For example the Mylar film is nearly a third of the thickness of the one used by ML.

Thinking L2 vs. L3, would L3 theoretically enable some sort of listening room measurement and automatic room correction?
Isn't a microphone and "FPGA-work" all that is missing?
:D

Sorry if this is not as trivial as I put it. :p

I've been working on the design today :)

I'll prototype the VFET Amps Mosfet output stage as I first need the results of the MDAC2's analogue stage for the VFET Amps Gain block as it will (hopefully) share much of the same design with MDAC2 - but with a Tube Front end and the VFET's in the ClassA amplifier.

Hi John.
Great to hear that you are now working on the VFETs!!!!!

I had a great time in Prague. Time for a taste of (the best beer in town) "1466" at Hotel U Medviku + sandwiches and olive bread from a great bakery just around the corner from u Medviku called "Breadway." And a quaint pub "Charlie Pub" on Vitkova street near our hotel. Plus visits to FAMU (school + studio). No Absinthe nor Becherowka for me. Books and gifts for my children and wife.

I will return to Czech with Rune when the VFETS are ready, and hope to have time for a beer or two then. Oh, and I just paid the 4th installment.
Cheers,
Peter

Thinking L2 vs. L3, would L3 theoretically enable some sort of listening room measurement and automatic room correction?
Isn't a microphone and "FPGA-work" all that is missing?
:D

Sorry if this is not as trivial as I put it. :p

Ermmm... Yes

Not trivial

REW is possibly, probably the the way

Hi John,
really looking forward to listening to mdac2+vfet... 4th installment paid!

I'm getting nervous and a big thank you for keeping this thrill!

should we all club together and stick John under house arrest until all these projects are complete ? :)

should we all club together and stick John under house arrest until all these projects are complete ? :)

I know you meant it as a joke but I think it is pretty apparent that John works very long hours. Hell, his idea of relaxation is to work on another project :rolleyes: :)

Ermmm... Yes

Not trivial

REW is possibly, probably the the way

So indeed my mental construction was too simple. Any likely solution would use external ADC...

However, many thanks for the reply! No reason for L3 for me then.

Cheers, flambeur

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back