advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00100001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Snake oil? Is that worth adding to solder?
Got a friend that keeps snakes, maybe we can process them for some of this 'snake oil'?

:p

JamJar,

The analogue attenuator is costly on the BOM (extra relays, PP film Caps and Vishay Bulk foil resistors), its already going to be exceeding hard to meet the cost target for the L1 unit - and please also consider that I need to live, it costs time & money to develop these features - you can plainly see how much time I've spent developing this project :)

Hi John

Ouch! Sorry for the misunderstanding, I wasn't suggesting you move the 20dB attenuation to L1 for free :p! Just an idea that L1 seems to have the core feature set and maybe the attenuation could be packaged with that, and it also seems to be a popular request. Of course if adjusting/combining L1 & L2 doesn't make sense (e.g. you've already done all the design, it doesn't save any time in production, etc) it's not an issue for me.

BTW the Auralic Vega gets another good review here http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/dacs/dacs-reviews/auralic-vega-dac-full-review.html and seems to have a similar feature set (PCM to 32/384, DSD128 over PCM) but costs twice as much L1, and your measurements are better!

Best wishes

A little wary that they don't tell you what the composition is. Feels a little likesnake oil
Maybe, when I "auditioned" it, I couldn't recognize it against a normal lead-based solder. However I use it, because of its physical properties, not because of any audio nonsense. :)

Clerenlas,

Over the weekend I confirmed the MDAC2's rear panel connector arrangement - taking into consideration your request.

Connector arrangement on the lower Analogue PCB:-

Connector arrangement on the upper Digital PCB:-

Mini "HDMI Type" Expansion connector for optional external expansion pod or direct connection to external streamer / transport.

Optical SPDIF input 1

Optical SPDIF input 2

Optical Clock-Lock output

Optical SPDIF output

USB 2.0

Coax BNC SPDIF output (supplied with an adaptor for RCA)

Coax BNC SPDIF input 2 or selectable Wordclock / external clock input (supplied with an adaptor for RCA)

Coax BNC SPDIF input 1 (supplied with an adaptor for RCA)

2x 3.5mm Isolated "Bus" connectors.

John

I've been away at a conference, hence the delayed response. But now I'm back, thanks very much indeed for this great news. Your readiness to put effort into meeting our requests is frankly amazing.

Looking forward to project fruition.

John aka clerenlas

Their cables may be expensive, but the solder is quite reasonably priced,
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=400603095615

Melts and flows very nicely even at lower temperatures (from 230C, if I remember correctly) compared to classical Sn60 Pb40. :)

Also, http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2348734#post2348734 .

Cheers for the info, I thought I had read something in this thread. Although at the time didn't have plans to buy the hd800's

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I agree that bluetooth shouldn't be included in mdac2 l3, this is something that could be included in the l4 version(probably going for l3).

I agree that bluetooth shouldn't be included in mdac2 l3, this is something that could be included in the l4 version(probably going for l3).

Please include bluetooth in the level 2/3 that was one of the main reasons that i signed up to the MDAC2 project. I'm not really that interested in a separate streamer as i use a mac running jriver and i'm pretty happy with that solution as the iPad jRiver remote is superb. My wife uses the blutooth connection on my current DAC/Pre and any replacement needs to have this functionality.

Please include bluetooth in the level 2/3 that was one of the main reasons that i signed up to the MDAC2 project. I'm not really that interested in a separate streamer as i use a mac running jriver and i'm pretty happy with that solution as the iPad jRiver remote is superb. My wife uses the blutooth connection on my current DAC/Pre and any replacement needs to have this functionality.

If that is all you need, why not just use an external receiver? They cost very little, and some have SPDIF out.

If that is all you need, why not just use an external receiver? They cost very little, and some have SPDIF out.

As i understood it the addition was very little cost to include BT. As goes an external dongle i'd rather keep the amount of devices / boxes to a minimum. Like i say it was one of the reasons i signed up, i really enjoy the convenience of the BT integration in my current DAC/Pre. Its great for spotify when in discovery mode.

As i understood it the addition was very little cost to include BT. As goes an external dongle i'd rather keep the amount of devices / boxes to a minimum. Like i say it was one of the reasons i signed up, i really enjoy the convenience of the BT integration in my current DAC/Pre. Its great for spotify when in discovery mode.
No BT can hardly be a deal breaker. I suspect that cost has nothing to do with if it will be included or not.

Why not use airport express for your your iDevices. Way better SQ than BT if you use optical into your DAC.

No BT can hardly be a deal breaker. I suspect that cost has nothing to do with if it will be included or not.

Why not use airport express for your your iDevices. Way better SQ than BT if you use optical into your DAC.

I'm an android and iOS user, and no BT would be a shame for me. For my main listening it wouldn't bother me, but my wife actually uses our current DAC with Bluetooth (Musical Fidelity M1SDAC) and it was the BT that tipped me over the edge to join the project as I could replace like for like as far as my wife would be concerned!

An update on the first order of 15 pairs of VFETs, they have arrived at the Czech sorting office :) - hopefully they will be here within the week.

The second order of 30 pairs was despatched on Monday...

I'm an android and iOS user, and no BT would be a shame for me. For my main listening it wouldn't bother me, but my wife actually uses our current DAC with Bluetooth (Musical Fidelity M1SDAC) and it was the BT that tipped me over the edge to join the project as I could replace like for like as far as my wife would be concerned!

:) OK - I'll keep you very much in mind when I make the final decision (cost is about US$10 for the module + Antenna) - its a question of space, rather then cost.

:) OK - I'll keep you very much in mind when I make the final decision (cost is about US$10 for the module + Antenna) - its a question of space, rather then cost.

It's nice to be able to play something from the iPhone or iPad in an instant.
Not so much for a long listening session, but just to show some music or album to someone that is not in Hifi in the same way most of us are (here in pfm).

And please, please, don't strip out the Optical SPDIF inputs.
:)

Michael

An update on the first order of 15 pairs of VFETs, they have arrived at the Czech sorting office :) - hopefully they will be here within the week.

The second order of 30 pairs was despatched on Monday...

Great news :)

I probably need to go back and re-read some of this thread, but just quickly, re the amps, is there going to be any kind of trigger link from the MDAC2 to take them in/out of standby, or will it be necessary to power them off when not in use? I'm just thinking of the component life.

Thanks Phil, it doesn't sound like John is keeping very much from the original amp so I guess it depends what hie is planning for his design.
On the 8000X7, which is RCA only, you have a choice of triggering either from a dedicated link or from an audio signal on the RCA-in. In the case of the latter, I think it's got something like a 15 minute timeout before it reverts back to standby. Something similar would be nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back