advertisement

McIntosh

I have a big McIntosh amp…

rIs8jZD.jpeg

I had a job installing car stereos in high school. Those McIntosh amps were so desirable (and very unaffordable) to me. They even had a big external DAC that you had to run an optical cable from the head unit/transport to. That was the first I'd ever heard of an external DAC.

Ended up with Alpine/Zapco/JL and MB Quart with the help of employee discounts.

I remember walking into one of their demo rooms expecting it to be all bling and no go.
I came out thinking wow, better go do some more research.
Don’t let the looks put you off, they clearly make some damn good kit

Reactions: TLS
Mike,

Platter speed in revolutions per minute.
Do they really convey this info? Why'd one want to know that unless one doesn't know the difference between different speed formats of records and that should be heard if obscene (!!!! Sorry, that's children)). T/t speeds are pretty constant on decent decks and easily checked visually
I have a big McIntosh amp…
Strewth ! Can you play it?
Just had a quick look at their speakers. Man, they're fugly. All of them!
Gosh, yes, plus a few more adjectives. Four ports each; more Star Trek or ferry terminals than tuning? D'you get the naval requirement of four girls with each speaker?

PS AIUI the current MC275 has LEDs in the valve bases to make the tubes glow brighter or in different colours. That tells me absolutely everything I need to know about the current brand ethos!
Oi! Do you mind? That's just what I did with my Velleman clone. Cheek!
11872507463_96046c7e10_z.jpg

I had a job installing car stereos in high school. Those McIntosh amps were so desirable (and very unaffordable) to me. They even had a big external DAC that you had to run an optical cable from the head unit/transport to. That was the first I'd ever heard of an external DAC.

Ended up with Alpine/Zapco/JL and MB Quart with the help of employee discounts.

I have one of those DAC too. McIntosh car audio from this era (1990’s) is just fabulous, top quality stuff.

Ĺ
I assumed that they were a UK speaker manufacturer because of their popularity on PFM, but he corrected me on that.

Dynavector and Shahinian would have been a couple of brands sold in the 'Flat Earth' shops hence their popularity in the UK.

Last edited:
I’ve owned many mcintosh pieces of the years…. C28/2505,ma6100,mc752,mt65b/mr67/mc250 and ma6500 which i still have. The prices on all McIntosh has always been a little higher because I believe your just paying for the name. I like their vintage equipment, I think it’s beautiful to look at and it’s built very well but cost to value ratio is very poor… i had an Mc2505 wihich think is a great amp.. I bought one for $500 maybe 10 years ago and sold it 5 years later for 1k…they are now selling for 2k. I still think it’s not worth more than $5-600 dollars, though after covid I feel all audio equipment especially vintage went through the roof with asking prices. I think their equipment sounds good but its just a bit boring to me after a while. I think their tube tuners sound nice and are pretty sensitive, though I do prefer my naim nat02 and onix bwd1 and my olive Naim system to Mciintosh.. I think the one plus is all there equipment can still be serviced whixh is gteat but all the early preamps had very poor volume controls and it was a pain to get egual balance on both channels

I am often perplexed by "would of" and the number of people who do in fact write it instead "would have". The clue is in the past participle that follows plus the fact that would of means nothing. I wouldn´t be surprised to see it accepted in the future, innit ?

advertisement

Back