advertisement

Marantz PM-11S3 integrated amp

Singslinger

pfm Member
When asked for integrated amp recommendations around the 3k mark, I believe replies would include the Naim Supernait2 or maybe the Teddy equivalent, the Electrocompaniet EC5-Mk 2, Sugden A21SE or the Musical Fidelity M6i.

At lower prices however, I notice that Marantz gets a fair mention (as do names like Rotel and NAD). What I'd like to know is how Marantz's higher-end gear stacks up against the popular names.

For instance, Marantz's top integrated is the PM-11S3 which is very well built and generously appointed yet seems to be largely ignored, or at least doesn't get mentioned when higher-end amps are discussed.

Has anyone on the forum listened to or owned this amp? I'd be interested to know how it stacks up against the others mentioned above.

Thanks in advance.

I've never heard it, but I will say that Marantz' higher end stuff is designed by a guy who takes it really seriously and wants fantastic product coming out the other end of the line. Fremer reviewed a power amp they make and said it was a steal. They want the brand name to carry excellence, period point.

I had that Marantz 11s2 amp on a home trial once. It's very good, quality phono stage, built like a tank - but I ended up with the Nait 5i I was comparing it with.

Fremer also reviewed a $20000 cable which he thought a good buy.

I don't have experience of the Marantz but I do own the equivalent Denon, a PMA2010ae. It's absolutely gobsmacking. I've been through a lot of gear but this one, despite my very cynical expectations,vs till stuns me every time I listen to a record nowadays. Sheer, unadulterated music.

And don't be put off by the top end marantz/denon power ratings. They can pump out current like there's no tomorrow and that's what counts. My denon, for instance, drives my Kef Reference floorstanders with absolute ease and is the only amp I've had with them that can make them run out of bass before the amp even starts to get warm.

I cannot say enough good things about high end Japanese "big" branded stuff. Listen without prejudice!

advertisement

Back