advertisement

Marantz CD94 refurbishment

@Beobloke and @stephen_cowslip I'm now selling the excellent quality Nanocamp Audio belts myself. If you want some, drop me a PM.
I've just got hold of a 94 Mk2 and it just makes a whirring sound when I press the eject button. Found the nice belts on Ebay, googled for advice and lo and behold I find this thread and it's you selling the belts - I thought your shop looked good with the tools, oil etc, Thorens belts, Trichord power cables - a man after my own heart I thought 😂

I've just got hold of a 94 Mk2 and it just makes a whirring sound when I press the eject button. Found the nice belts on Ebay, googled for advice and lo and behold I find this thread and it's you selling the belts - I thought your shop looked good with the tools, oil etc, Thorens belts, Trichord power cables - a man after my own heart I thought 😂
Congrats, the 94mk2 is a very fine player indeed. If you need me, you know where I am.

Congrats, the 94mk2 is a very fine player indeed. If you need me, you know where I am.
Thanks Mike I've actually changed the belts once before in my last one, but I didn't have that tool to hold the wheels in place and I remember the hair raising moment when I had to make sure the metal belt didn't come off. I'll get that tool off you this time which should reduce the stress level a bit!

I want to open it up and check everything else looks OK before I start doing the belts as there's no point in ordering the stuff and then finding out there's a blown cap or something.

Sadly it's not going to be as simple as I hoped. I took the top off and saw the draw opening belts had perished as expected but the other 2 on the right of the mech (looking from the front) still looked ok (not as expected!).

I opened the drawer manually, placed a CD on the tray and closed it. The clamp didn't lower so I rotated the cam that did so and pressed play. It just made a whirring noise but the disc didn't rotate. The wheels and belts on the right did seem to be rotating though. I will need to investigate what isn't working but it doesn't look hopeful for an easy fix.

Sadly it's not going to be as simple as I hoped. I took the top off and saw the draw opening belts had perished as expected but the other 2 on the right of the mech (looking from the front) still looked ok (not as expected!).

I opened the drawer manually, placed a CD on the tray and closed it. The clamp didn't lower so I rotated the cam that did so and pressed play. It just made a whirring noise but the disc didn't rotate. The wheels and belts on the right did seem to be rotating though. I will need to investigate what isn't working but it doesn't look hopeful for an easy fix.
I haven't been beaten by one yet.

Back when, I lusted after these decks because of their elegant appearance & reputation for sq. A pity they haven’t aged well. I admire Mikes patience determination to restore them!

The player still thinks the tray isn't fully closed. If the tray really is fully home then you need to clean the tray closed position switch. Give it a squirt of contact cleaner and work it open and closed a few times by hand.

Fabulous work Mike, on a fabulous player. I briefly had a champagne Mk2. Sadly it was sent back because it was poorly packed and the delivery driver smashed it to bits👍

Fabulous work Mike, on a fabulous player. I briefly had a champagne Mk2. Sadly it was sent back because it was poorly packed and the delivery driver smashed it to bits👍
That's heresy the champagne 94 is rare as in the UK. I wish people would treat such things with more respect it's like sending a Monet by Hermes.

That was 10 years ago and it still upsets me now! He used 1 layer of bubble wrap, in a box exactly the same size as the player

He used 1 layer of bubble wrap, in a box exactly the same size as the player

Arrgh! FFS!

I feel your pain.

Hi Fi and couriers really don't mix well. If you absolutely MUST send an item like this via courier the packaging needs to be VERY thorough. At least 50mm of expanded polystyrene tightly packed around all sides.

I once had a Sony CDP-X7ESD arrive here for repair that had been whacked so hard by the courier the pins of the mains plug were all bent over at right angles! What the heck do they do to them?

I once watched a driver clearly maliciously, trying to damage the parcels on the back of his van. I’ve never used one for hifi since.

I was very lucky to be the owner of a second hand CD94 Mk1 with a CDA94 in the late 90's. I had to sell it because of money problems. A few months later the **** I sold them to told me he threw them down the stairs to claim insurance. He showed me pictures. I will never get over that. I have never had a cd player that I enjoyed since and likely never will. These are special machines.

I was very lucky to be the owner of a second hand CD94 Mk1 with a CDA94 in the late 90's. I had to sell it because of money problems. A few months later the **** I sold them to told me he threw them down the stairs to claim insurance. He showed me pictures. I will never get over that. I have never had a cd player that I enjoyed since and likely never will. These are special machines.

OMG! What a ****!

The player still thinks the tray isn't fully closed. If the tray really is fully home then you need to clean the tray closed position switch. Give it a squirt of contact cleaner and work it open and closed a few times by hand.
Thanks Mike I'll try that when I have time to open it up again.

advertisement

Back