advertisement

Magic band Farewell Tour

I did not know it was the farewell tour but it does explain why it was sold out in Liverpool 4 weeks ago when I tried to get a ticket. I have seen them twice before and they are good value, I also have a recording of one of their first outings in the UK when they played Camber Sands and Radio 3 covered it.

Well, it started out as John French with ex Magic Band Members, but they have fallen by the wayside. The thing is though, that John French gives such good value for your money and his rendition of Vliet's vocals are so authentic! I've seen them twice and really enjoyed both gigs. Also, in the smaller venues, he is happy to converse with the punters in the intermission; John French was one of the most important members of the original band and was singularly responsible for translating Beefheart's ideas into reality.

Went to what I thought was their farewell tour a couple of years ago. Seen them twice at The Scala in London and they were great.

Jack

Watched them on Tuesday night at The Cluny in Newcastle. The show looked a full sell-out, much busier than the last two tours. It was a shame Rockette Morton wasn't able to make the tour, I know he has had health issues. He is some player bass though. Drumbo was his usual brilliant self. He wasn't happy with the sound at times - apparently they had time issues on their soundcheck. The bass / vocals were lost in the mix at times and John restarted a few tracks after changes were made by the Sound Engineer. Still, it was much better than most bands I have seen. John says it is difficult to make it pay / be viable. It's a pity we will probably not see them tour again. They are well worth watching if you can see them.

John says it is difficult to make it pay...

It's a shame isn't it? This music needs to be played, same as the Zappa music and the family feud. We're never going to see/hear this stuff played unless people like John French and Dweezil Zappa get it out there!

Watched them on Tuesday night at The Cluny in Newcastle. The show looked a full sell-out, much busier than the last two tours. It was a shame Rockette Morton wasn't able to make the tour, I know he has had health issues. He is some player bass though. Drumbo was his usual brilliant self. He wasn't happy with the sound at times - apparently they had time issues on their soundcheck. The bass / vocals were lost in the mix at times and John restarted a few tracks after changes were made by the Sound Engineer. Still, it was much better than most bands I have seen. John says it is difficult to make it pay / be viable. It's a pity we will probably not see them tour again. They are well worth watching if you can see them.

Can you give an idea what songs were on the set list?

advertisement

Back