advertisement

MacOS cd ripper that works (2023)?

+1 for dBpoweramp. Works fine with no errors for me. There's the odd disc it won't rip though, normally due to too many errors but I can live with that. For extra tagging duties I use MP3tag - don't be fooled by the name it has tagged every file I've thrown at it ok - both ALAC and FLAC and you can add artwork which dBpoweramp doesn't do.
You can add artwork with dbpoweramp.

I use dbpoweramp to add artwork at the ripping stage (little box bottom right) and, when necessary, to downloaded files (in the Finder, select files, right click and choose "edit with dbpoweramp")

Indeed!
Besides on really high end (aka silly price) DACs some of us can hear the difference between FLAC and WAV/AIFF (for dCS users, ir's a bit like forgetting to switch the external clock on).
Surely though, there is no tags or metadata, which then requires a number of extra steps to get anything to recognise it.

dBpoweramp works well for me too.

Then I use Tag Editor to modify the metadata. I like adding in composers.
I rip to an external 6Tb usb hard drive connected permanently to my Mac.
This is where I do the conversion and metadata modifications. This drive remains my master drive for all ripped music.
I then transfer new additions to my Melco N1/A by using RSYNC - a brilliant tool built into the Mac OS. A bit like Xcopy.

I have a routine in a *.sh (Mac equivalent of BAT) which is something like this. The second line causes Minimserver to rescan on my Melco. The third line causes Twonky to rescan on my Melco (I use each of these at times).

rsync -avh --progress /Volumes/Don6Tb/MAIN/ /Volumes/share/MAIN 2> ~/Desktop/rsyncErrorsMELCO.txt
echo "rescan" | /Applications/MinimWatch.app/Contents/mscript -a 192.168.0.7:9790
curl 192.168.0.7:9050/rpc/rescan

No guarantees or responsibility for the above code which of course is tailored for my set-up.

Donuk

fwiw I use JRiver to rip to flac on my mac. Works well although as most of my rips are classical I do tend to update the tags manually; mind you I had to do this with dbPoweramp as well. Only disadvantage/advantage with JRiver is the wide range of options and associated learning curve to get it running sweetly.

You can add artwork with dbpoweramp.

I use dbpoweramp to add artwork at the ripping stage (little box bottom right) and, when necessary, to downloaded files (in the Finder, select files, right click and choose "edit with dbpoweramp")
Thanks for that. Hadn't noticed that box before! Must need my eyesight testing again.

Apple's Music app is what I use. This is on the latest OS, but the process hasn't changed in the last 20 years or so. I rip to and keep my files in the Apple Lossless codec.

If any files need converting (for me it's from FLAC to ALAC) then I use Max.

Got XLD working. Doing some test rips now.
Here is a link to the 'Unofficial XLD Configuration Guide for Beginners' from over on Hydrogen Audio. As advertised, the CD Rip tab settings are particularly important. All of my rips (and burned CDs of same for the old car changer and parties) always came up as 'Verified' with those settings.

Last edited:
Apple's Music app is what I use. This is on the latest OS, but the process hasn't changed in the last 20 years or so. I rip to and keep my files in the Apple Lossless codec.

If any files need converting (for me it's from FLAC to ALAC) then I use Max.
Nowadays, same here, Deebs. I just leave iTunes set to Apple Lossless (with 'Same as original' for both bit rate and depth) and let fly. I used to have to convert some down to AAC 320Kbps (max) for my old 1st gen Shuffle, but this could be done in iTunes by changing the import settings to that and then choosing convert to AAC from the iTunes menu bar, then use a Smart Playlist to 'capture' 320Kbps tracks for sync to Shuffle. I loved the convenience (and no real care if it breaks or gets lost) of Shuffle so much that I eventually picked up a couple of last gen ones just to avoid having to convert from ALAC just to load up some new tunes. I ended up collecting quite a number of Shuffles over the years and kept different playlists on each for when the mood changed. I recently found one of these in the lining of an old well worn jacket that I was about to send off to charity. Must have been on my way out to party last time I wore that as the mix was well OTT for my usual commute.

Ok some confusion I was responding to a post responding to a post about dragging files directly from cd to pc. Thats a PCM file, they don't carry tags.

You are talking about AIFF files so IDK.

Does XLD replace a track that would bemarked as unsecure (in dBpoweramp, for example), by a secure rip from Accurate rip's data base ?

I think it's pretty much the best tool for ripping CDs on a Mac. (doh, I have I replied to an ancient thread again?...)
Probably did. But, my question remains. EAC would replace an unsecure rip with one from it’s own base. On a Mac, dBpoweramp will verify against accurate rip, but doesn’t replace.

And once ripped how do you manage / organise your music files database ?

I use XLD on an M2 MacBook Air with the latest OS without any issues. I also use XLD for any file conversion I need, such as converting 24/96 FLAC to 16/44 ALAC. Great app!

Probably did. But, my question remains. EAC would replace an unsecure rip with one from it’s own base. On a Mac, dBpoweramp will verify against accurate rip, but doesn’t replace.

And once ripped how do you manage / organise your music files database ?
I have everything (around 3200 albums/2TB of music) on an internal SSD drive within my music server that also acts as a Roon Core and I then interface with the music, and play everything back through Roon. I am a big fan of the user experience of Roon.

I have everything (around 3200 albums/2TB of music) on an internal SSD drive within my music server that also acts as a Roon Core and I then interface with the music, and play everything back through Roon. I am a big fan of the user experience of Roon.
I resisted roon for years, but I bought a lifetime subscription in Dec 2022 and I wouldn't be without it.

advertisement

Back