advertisement

Mac Mini - USB -Dac Problems

Deano

pfm Member
I have just got a new Mac Mini and am having problems.

I have a musical fidelity M6 cd/dac and am trying to connect my mac mini to it via USB.

Atm all i'm getting is the DAC saying no lock as its not getting any thing from the mac and the mac isn't seeing the DAC. I have looked on the MF website and they only have drivers for Windows.

I know on my PC sometimes different USB ports worked when it wouldn't on another port. Anyone else had these issues. I must admit i have not tried anohter port yet. Im using an Audio quest USB cable.

Anyone have any ideas? i don't really want to go down the Optical route if i can help it.

i had a look in the audio setting but it is not finding anything or giving me the option to search. the other problem is this is my first mac so am a little stuck

You set sound output in the System Preferences->Sound tab usually. It should give you a list of avsailable options...

You need to go to 'audio midi, which is in 'utilities', drag the piano icon down to the toolbar.
Open it up , select the MF DAC, select it as your default output by moving the loudspeaker icon into the MF's field.
While you are there you can also adjust sample rate as Macs still do not automatically switch.
Keith

thanks all but still no luck. i don't know why but the Mac is not picking up my Dac. its not in the list of options to select. plug it into my PC which i don't think i have the drivers on and boom picks it up.

I snapped up somewhere that for whatever reason the M6 Dac requires shorter USB cables, where the M1 can still take longer ones. Not sure if this is the case here, but you might want to try a shorter cable to be sure?

I snapped up somewhere that for whatever reason the M6 Dac requires shorter USB cables, where the M1 can still take longer ones. Not sure if this is the case here, but you might want to try a shorter cable to be sure?

would this not effect both mac and PC? i think the cable i have is 1.5 or 2 meter as i was using it with a laptop. right it sounds like a trip to maplin is in order to get a few cables.

You won't need drivers.
I started with macs 13 years ago because my 3 year old could work them without help.
What playback software you using? Audirvana+ is good and popular.

A quicker way of choosing the sound output device is to hold down <alt> and click on the speaker in the top bar, just to the left of the system date.

That doesn't work for me. I like I suppose others use a Mac Mini headless as a music server. In my case I use VNC clients to access the Mini and the method you mention doesn't work. Going into sys pref and sound as described works with just a few clicks.

The DAC manual also shows screen shots and for a newcomer that can be very useful.

Cheers,

DV

its sorted. was a problem with my Audio Quest cable was driving me nuts. got a cheap one from maplin and its fine. might be the reason it only worked in certain ports on my PC as well.

might upgrade my jriver to work on my mac or look at others

thanks all

You won't need drivers.
I started with macs 13 years ago because my 3 year old could work them without help.
What playback software you using? Audirvana+ is good and popular.

I had an old version on jriver and was going to buy the upgrade for that as it was good and its what i knew but i have seen a few thinks online about Audirvana+ and it is possible i might go with that.

advertisement

Back