advertisement

Luxury watch prices halve........

The owner put the company in trust so it couldn't be split up or sold. Though they don't public report accounts a quick check of big recipient projects over the years would estimate they donate around 100 million chf a year or thereabouts. Maybe 10% of turnover, that's actually better than many charities, a lot better.

The owner put the company in trust so it couldn't be split up or sold. Though they don't public report accounts a quick check of big recipient projects over the years would estimate they donate around 100 million chf a year or thereabouts. Maybe 10% of turnover, that's actually better than many charities, a lot better.
For Rolex it's very cushy and infinitely better to not be liable for taxes.

For Rolex it's very cushy and infinitely better to not be liable for taxes.

I'm sure they're doing very nicely out of it.

On the other hand no one needs to buy a Rolex (I've somehow managed to cope without for 49 years), they're not raiding the public purse for subsidies or bailouts and they generate a substantial amount of cash for worthy causes. There are worse corporations.

Nothing wrong with coveting then buying a Rolex. I enjoy wearing my Explorer and I’m never going to sell it!

As for the ‘flippers’ - I hope they go bust! Hopefully this lowering in value is a correction.

I have two Rolex watches. I was expecting to wait well over a year for the second but it came within 3 months. I had a fair bit of explaining / negotiating to do with SWMBO. That was early in the pandemic.

I don’t plan to ever sell my watches and I hope they will stay in the family when I am gone as they are very personal items.

I am in the market for a third but it’s a particularly popular model and I think this time it really will be over a year, if ever due to the mark up it attracts on the grey market. I wish there was a way to stop that.

Luxury watch prices seem to inhabit the same parallel universe as property prices, probably because the two have become extremely attractive as investments with money being cheap and supply restricted.

I don't like Rolexes (fortunately) but when I look at the current prices of dive and military watches that interested me in my younger days, I rub my eyes in disbelief. It's total insanity!

Whether you're buying a G-Shock or a Rolex, it looks to me like you're paying 2-3 times any sensible estimate of the product's material value.

I think as the main bit of bloke’s jewelry it’s no surprise that watches of any type have succumbed to branding, origin stories, perceived desirability and all the other stuff irrelevant to a watch itself. Yes it seems hard to pick (as opposed to find) an honest, engineered, reliable tool at times amidst all the marketing foo.

I think as the main bit of bloke’s jewelry it’s no surprise that watches of any type have succumbed to branding, origin stories, perceived desirability and all the other stuff irrelevant to a watch itself. Yes it seems hard to pick (as opposed to find) an honest, engineered, reliable tool at times amidst all the marketing foo.
Casio GW-M5610-1ER

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/292...lTo_fwqCeR7gocblyEMaAlaXEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

You cannot buy a better watch. Although even here, you could argue you're paying £100 for something that ought to cost ~£50.

I only discovered that was a thing last week when I watched Better Call Saul.

I have led a sheltered and impoverished life.

Don't sweat it, It's for people who:
  • Are too lazy to move about to wind the watch.
  • Want to show off they have a posh watch. "Oh that? It's just winding my Rolex..."

;)

I only discovered that was a thing last week when I watched Better Call Saul.

I have led a sheltered and impoverished life.
Not just a winder cabinet but if your total valuables are over £40k and £10K each you’ll likely need a 4K or 6K safe installed too if you want insurance.

Citizen doesn’t do marketing bs. Their only claim is to make utterly reliable watches, priced reasonably. They don’t seem to care much about their heritage. That said, they’re about to release a reissue of the stainless steel 1970s Challenge Diver in titanium & with a 28,800 bph movement. But the price is entirely fair & the quality control should be as excellent as Citizen is known for. I’ll probably buy one to complement my nice 52-0110.

Seiko used to have a similar ethos to Citizen but in recent years has lost its imagination - if not it’s mind. They seem focused on reissuing heritage models - frequently as limited editions - at grossly inflated prices, & often beyond their level of workmanship & qc. As a Seiko fan I’ve found their recent catalogue disappointing & uninspiring.

Seiko used to have a similar ethos to Citizen but in recent years has lost its imagination - if not it’s mind. They seem focused on reissuing heritage models - frequently as limited editions - at grossly inflated prices, & often beyond their level of workmanship & qc. As a Seiko fan I’ve found their recent catalogue disappointing & uninspiring.

Their new GMT divers are great… and only about £350!

advertisement

Back