advertisement

Luxman Amps

kimbleman

pfm Member
Anybody ever owned one of these big VU adorned beasties and are they really as good as some people say?

Yes I have a Luxman L550AII it's not connected to anything I just watch the big VU meters until I fall asleep lol

Collectible valves
re the integrated amps including the VU ones
I think the preamps are the limiting factor or was it the phono section

The lo end models provided bling but little else except hi end WAF and at the time reliability

I have a 550A II which easily replaced and bettered 72/hi-cap/135s running B&W 805sigs and absolutely love it.

A friend has a couple that have been in and out of his various systems over the last few years. They are generally very good. Maybe not at their best into low impedance loads.

Not tried any of the newer stuff but had a few of their 70's amps/turntables... Plodding, slow, muddy, dull etc. Also found the build quality to be pretty crap, couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about to be honest.

Now Accuphase on the other hand... That is quality kit.

Try a Leben amp. No VU meters but a lovely sound, IMO. The guy who runs Leben is ex-Luxman. I've owned a Mullard-valved CS300x integrated and it's a really lovely thing. Surprisingly powerful. Strongly recommeded.

If buying new be aware that Luxman is now part of IAG and seems increasingly to be built in China.

Istari, do yourself a favour and pop into The Vintage Knob. Cf also the history of Accuphase and Luxman, which were almost next door to each other and shared many parts.

BTW most of what was Luxman is now running AirTight, another brand with 'pretty crap build quality', no doubt ��

The newer stuff is very well built (I have a 550aii). The phono section is superb. My Luxman easily bettered the perreaux 150i I had prior to it.

Istari, do yourself a favour and pop into The Vintage Knob. Cf also the history of Accuphase and Luxman, which were almost next door to each other and shared many parts.

BTW most of what was Luxman is now running AirTight, another brand with 'pretty crap build quality', no doubt ��

I'm familiar with TVK, thanks. Your reply is most amusing... I assume I hit a nerve as you're extremely defensive of the brand ?

I don't for one second believe they shared any key parts or designs, if they did Luxmans quality would be far better than it was. AFAIK one of Luxman's founders started Airtight after selling Lux to Alpine... I don't see what that has to do with anything ? Just because the chap makes decent stuff now doesn't mean it was always so.

Luxman amps are as good as many of the other well known Japanese brands, Sansui, big Rotels etc. They are a well respected name and have that extra bit of foo due to the name but not substantially better than any of the other well known Japanese stuff.

advertisement

Back