advertisement

LS3/5as and Low Frequencies

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
I am considering trying some LS3/5as in my desktop system again.

However, the last time I tried them, I could only achieve low frequency extension comparable to a pair of Kans in open space.

Others report perfectly usable low frequency extension from these speakers and I have achieved this from other small speakers like Harbeth P3esrs and AVI Neutrons, so it must be possible. I’m not looking for dub reggae sound system bass, just flattish to 75 hz or so.

Is there a knack to this? Are there specific room and positioning constraints that need to be met if one is to get low frequency extension comparable to say, P3esrs or AVI Neutrons?

FWIW, my desktop system involves putting speakers on 6” stands, about 10” from a wall.

Cheers

It's definitely possible! I had some Stirlings on ~4" stands on my desk but only about 3" from the rear wall, about 3' from my ears, and they sounded great. Conversely some AVI Neutrons sounded horribly thin, couldn't live with them at all. (Amplifier is/was an Inca Tech Claymore.)

Since then I've added another monitor which has forced me to move the speakers off the desk, which is quite small. Even with them sitting on a couple of dining chairs either side of me while I wait for some stands to arrive, I'm surprised that I already prefer them off the desk and a little further away.

Conversely some AVI Neutrons sounded horribly thin, couldn't live with them at all

Maybe I have just got used to the sound of my AVI Neutron IVs but they don't sound thin at all to me.

Admittedly I have a fairly smooth Creek 50A amp and also use a heavily modified Musical Fidelity X10D valve buffer.

I have to site my Neutrons on bookcase shelves either side of a Victorian fireplace. On these shelves the unbunged rear ports of the Neutrons are only about 3.5 inches from the rear wall.

My room is fairly lively with wooden suspended floor and no rugs or carpet.

Yet the Neutrons sound great to me (within their limitations).

Is there a knack to this? Are there specific room and positioning constraints that need to be met if one is to get low frequency extension comparable to say, P3esrs or AVI Neutrons?

I’ve mentioned this blog on other LS3/5A threads and I think there is something to what is described here.

The LS3/5A has a rather odd response having an upper bass ‘bump’ and below that a response that is very fast and tight, but rolls off very quickly. As such in some rooms you can get surprisingly good bass performance by positioning the speaker right on the 40-50Hz room nodes that exist in most typical UK rooms as the upper bass bump means they don’t sound thin away from the wall the way a Kan or JR149 will, and the limits and tightness of the “deep” bass means they can energise the room node without the horrendous boom you’d get from a typical ported box in that location.

I very briefly tried it and was quite surprised how big and powerful they sounded, though it was an inconclusive dem as I had them plonked in front of my huge Lockwoods, so there is a chance they were energising the Tannoy cones passively. I really couldn’t be bothered to shift the Tannoys for obvious reasons, but I do think there is something to this. I’ve got something fairly close but not as good in the upstairs room too, but that is very compromised space wise due to it having vinyl and CDs stacked up all over the place (it is the record shop storage).

Anyway I suspect the combination of using the room node and also back wall reinforcement with seat positioning can bend physics to one’s advantage a fair bit. The key is they are exceptionally well behaved speakers so they just don’t ring or boom the way so many ported boxes do. That gives a fair bit more positioning scope.

Maybe I have just got used to the sound of my AVI Neutron IVs but they don't sound thin at all to me.

Admittedly I have a fairly smooth Creek 50A amp and also use a heavily modified Musical Fidelity X10D valve buffer.

I have to site my Neutrons on bookcase shelves either side of a Victorian fireplace. On these shelves the unbunged rear ports of the Neutrons are only about 3.5 inches from the rear wall.

My room is fairly lively with wooden suspended floor and no rugs or carpet.

Yet the Neutrons sound great to me (within their limitations).
This. I have the NuNeutron and they are anything but thin sounding. They can sound a bit flat with budget amplification but use something decent and they are very capable.

I'd like to try a pair of LS3/5a soon just out of curiosity. I heard a pair at a show a couple of years ago. Origin Live were using a pair of Falcons to demo one of their higher end turntables and it did sound superb. However I did have a poor experience with Proac Tablette 10 Signatures a few years back which I couldn't get any bass out of whatsoever. I tried them in three rooms on 3 systems in different locations. It mystifies me because of the almost universal love those speakers have. Fabulous mid-band though.

Yeah soz I didn't really get the point across that I intended to, which was that the OP finds the Neutrons provide enough LF but the LS3/5a's didn't, whereas I found quite the opposite. Therefore the positioning or immediate environment must be important enough to be the difference even when listening in a similarly nearfield scenario.

LS3/5As give the illusion of bass for the reasons Tony explains, above. They won't go as loud as Kans but will give a much better bass illusion when used nearfield.

advertisement

Back